1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Biblical and Logical Defense for Libertarian Free Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

D. None of the above.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

How about the possibility (in my view fact) that God grants man a relative degree of freedom and assigns with that freedom a concomitant responsibility.

The very first recorded words of God to man: "You are free to eat from any tree of the garden (Genesis 2:16)

This "freedom" was not absolute and it was "granted" by God himself. The freedom was limited, but it was real nonetheless. Along with that freedom came the responsibility (the warning) in 2:17.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

If in fact, those were my ONLY three choices, I would happily go with Open Theism, but we all know the sample space is not so limited.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I keep attaching the word "determining" because it is in your definition of LFW, which denies a determining influence.
    And because you used the word to support your position in post#20
    And in post#24
    What exactly is sin "influencing" if it is not influencing the person's decision to sin... which is exactly what Romans 7:20 specifically says... that sin has a determining influence on a person's decisions.

Sense you have denied the determining influence of sin in your definition and in your arguments, it is clear that your view of LFW is contrary to Romans 7:20, which says otherwise.

To say that the "sin nature influences you when you sin rather than determining you to sin" makes no logical sense, imho. You appear to be saying that the sin nature has no influence until after the decision to sin, and the person starts sinning. Is that what you are saying?

peace to you:praying:

#124 canadyjd, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Your not following my reasoning. Try this:

Let's look at the last time you sinned.

Could you have done otherwise? Could you have resisted that temptation? Or, as you put it, was your sin nature a determining influence so as that you couldn't have done otherwise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.