1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Biblical Defense of Synergism #3

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.

As was I, Steven.:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the Jews of John 8 heard the Gospel when the new covenant was established by Christ's death and resurrection. As Romans 9-11 explains they were provoked to jealousy by their obstinate actions, since even the Gentiles were entering the Kingdom before them. There repentance was still desired. For God has delivered all to disobedience so that He may have mercy on all.

1 John is talking of the tares among the wheat. Those in need of searching themselves to see they are not saved, their evil works show such.

3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to remind everyone of the OP. That mankind appears to have moral ability to obey or disobey God. If God doesn't harden them. That said, I get better where Calvinism is coming from, but it seems we differ too much over the subtleties of theology, there is unlikely to be changing anyone's mind.

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    Again I agree...
    " For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all." ( Romans 11:32 ).

But don't forget about this:
    " What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded ." ( Romans 11:7-8 ).
    I agree.
    So, based on Matthew 13 and 1 John, the tares are the children of the devil, are they not?

5. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven,

I prefer to talk about the Scriptures by themselves...
    I'd also prefer to leave John Calvin, John Wesley and John R. Rice out of it.

But we can discuss anything you like, and who teaches what.;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but the scriptures are full of calls to examine yourself and our election. As a liberal Christian finding faith four years ago, I see tares can be wheat if they only trust the LORD with all their heart and put faith in the real Jesus Christ.

7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our "what"?

Election? ( "election" = "choosing" ).
    Did I just read that right, Steven?:Sneaky

Yes, they are, and yes we should.:Cautious
    Per Matthew 7:21-23 and Matthew 13, I see that tares are people who think they are saved, but are not.
    They are the children of the wicked one, and their "soil" has never been "plowed" by the Lord...

Which is why the seed never produces true spiritual fruit.

8. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was the rocky ground until faith in Jesus Christ, soils can change with the power of God.

This has been a good discussion on all three threads. I wish more would engage me in discussion, oh well.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven,
    I would be honored to engage you in discussion on any subject that you wish, and I promise to keep it civil.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea how you see synergism, in relation to salvation, in Jeremiah 18:7-10. Nothing in this passage refers to eternal life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book ends of Job:

Job 2:10 But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

Job 42:11 Then came to him all his brothers and sisters and all who had known him before, and ate bread with him in his house. And they showed him sympathy and comforted him for all the evil that the Lord had brought upon him. And each of them gave him a piece of money and a ring of gold.

Who can understand the mind of God?

• Like Like x 1
  13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will post a pdf of the reading approach I have been using this year. It has been a blessing. Often, I go for walks and listen as God's word is read (much like the people of Israel would listen to the reading at the temple). I have recently been listening to the Psalms. I really like hearing the Psalms. It's so moving. View attachment BibleReadingSchedule2020.pdf

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prodigal is...a son, not a pagan, not from a different family. The prodigal is not a lost sinner. The prodigal is a son who needed to repent. The father waited for his son to return.
    The story speaks to us, who have been redeemed and then go wandering...

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see what you did here. Indeed, all who believe are prodigals.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humans certainly can obey or disobey rules. They do so for selfish reasons, based on what they think will benefit them the most.
    Humans will not repent of this selfishness and submit willingly to the Supremacy of God. God must break their will and cause a man to submit. When God chooses to do this, a man cannot stop God from doing so.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven, you were always the seed. You were never the soil. Go re-read the parable.
    God sows the seed. (Let that sink in.) God throws the seed on different soils (Is his toss accidental or haphazard?) The seed may lie dormant in good soil for a long time. God determines its growth.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'm going to say from the get go, I am trying to be respectful with all of my posts.

Job is afflicted by God for a nebulous reason, and God explodes at Job for thinking he knew enough to rule the creation. That said, Job's humble response does away with the Adversary's argument. I see Job as one of the most applicable and beautiful books of the bible. But I have suffered like Job just over a much longer time in my own life. I am not joking or being emotional. I am a 100% disabled man and have been for years. This on top of many other sufferings.

That said, I don't see how Job applies to the topic of predestined salvation or wrath.

19. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would love to see it. Oops you posted it, thank you!

20. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoa, that is a very original reading of the prodigal son to me. The context is given in Luke 15. We have the parables of the lost sheep and lost coin all to answer the critics of Jesus who complained he sought the salvation of "sinners." These critics appear to be the son that hated his prodigal brother. They do not understand the importance of their Hebrew brethren. Jesus is still going to the Jews at this point. The gospel to the Gentiles is not in full swing yet until after the great commission. The parable is an explanation of Jesus' ministry to the Jews seen as prodigal outcasts.