1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Death Blow to Full (Hyper) Preterism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, I guess I am going to have to ask you a "point blank" question, because I am confused here....which ain't hard for you to accomplish when talking to me...LOL

The natural body we have right now, when it is buried, will it come out of the ground? I mean in a spirit form? I believe that we will be raised from the grave, reunite with our soul that Jesus brings back with Him on the resurrection day.

So, will our natural body be resurrected?

You made the comment "When the New Covenant comes into its fulness in 70 AD, you state this in future tense. 70 AD has passed over 1900 yrs ago.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know where you got this, but sorry, it is flat out wrong. First of all, here is the definition from Friberg's Anlex lexicon for aer (ahr):

Secondly, the word aer (ahr) occurs seven (7) times in the NT, and every single time it means demonstrably what we mean by "air" in English: the literal, physical atmosphere (oxygen, etc.) around us. It never means what you say, "air in the sense of the spirtual realm." You may object that the above definition points to that in Eph. 2:2. No, because of the normal meaning of the word, we should understand that as just the sky, which is the place where spiritual beings are. Just because a being is a spirit doesn't mean it can't exist in the actual air. Every single other one of the seven occurances of the word is clearly the physical air. You can't change the meaning to "spiritual realm" just because a spirit is mentioned in the verse.

Thirdly, in v. 16 we have ouranos, which you say means "sky" or "atmosphere." So Jesus comes down from the sky, the ouranos, from Heaven, to take us up into aer, the actual, physical air.

#142 John of Japan, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point taken. I forgot about that book. As to the rest of your post, sorry, but once again it has nothing to do with the OP.

God bless.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but it will be changed.

1 Corinthians 15
    52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
    53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

HankD​

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This believe this also is speaking of this spiritual body. we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

From whence does it look like this body comes? Is that the body that was buried?

I might also ask just what is being clothed here? We,(What is the we here that shall not be found naked?) shall not be found naked.

What shall not be found naked is the dead in Christ. Not the bodies of the dead in Christ. The dead (souls) in Christ will be given the above new body.

But some [man] will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

The dead and the body are spoken of as separate things here. The soul that sinneth it shall die. It is the personality/person of one that once was alive but now dead as in the dead in Christ. Let's call these three souls Larry, Curly and Mo. They are in the ark, dead in Christ.

How are the dead souls raised up? And with what body do they come?

And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain,
    But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Never did get an answer to this.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Isn't it odd how you don't pay attention to your own posts.
    The post says that they will be bodies. They will be celestial bodies, incorruptible, but bodies nevertheless.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just some comments for preterists to be considered but not necssarily answered in this thread.

Jesus resurrected in a literal body, he talked, ate and drank with the disciples. He is the firstfruits of the resurrection:

1 Corinthians 15
    22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
    23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.​

It seems to reason that we will be like Him (with a literal body) if we are of the same harvest.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.​

HankD​

#148 HankD, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also remember some who were the closest to him did not know who he was.

10. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And why was that?

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some reason they did not recognize him. I don't think it says why?

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Most likely because he was disfigured by the beatings and crucifixion he suffered.

Isa 52:14 As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:

Jesus retained his scars from the crucifixion, he invited Thomas to touch the wounds of his hands, and reach his hand into his side where he was pierced. It is reasonable to assume he also retained the scars from the severe beatings he was subjected to before his crucifixion. Mary, who met him at the tomb did not recognize him until he spoke to her.

13. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always thought the reason why they didn't recognize him was that they really didn't expect him to appear in a real, physical and personal sense in a literal 3 days after the cross.

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can go along with this for his body that did not see corruption but what of one that was say burned up or had been dead for a great period of time and saw corruption.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

double post

#155 Winman, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Read Ezekiel chapter 37 where Ezekiel saw dry bones and was commanded to prophesy to them. Though they were scattered, they came together, and the Lord brought flesh and sinews upon them. Ezekiel prophesied again and breath came into them and they stood on their feet.

So, these bodies were long decomposed, but the Lord was able to reconstruct them.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

(((((AMEN!!!!!))))):thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Provided the "change" is from physical to spiritual....if you don't mean this, then I take back by *amen* and three thumbs up!! I will then replace them with "boos" and "hisses"!! LOl J/K!!

#157 convicted1, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is a spitiritual body but it is also a material body like Christ's when He ate and drank with the disciples and apostles after His resurrection and had promised them the same:

Luke 22
    29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
    30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.​

HankD

19. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Sorry, John I'll have to give you a "No Sale" on this one

Nice try John, but I’m afraid you and Friberg don’t own the definition of aer and plenty of scholars do link it to the spiritual realm whether you choose to accept it or not.

For example as has often been noted:

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
    [Do we understand the word Spirit?. The Greek definition is] #G 4151. pneuma, pnyoo'-mah; from G4154; a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze; by anal. or fig. a spirit, i.e. (human) the rational soul, (by impl.) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, demon, or (divine) God, Christ's spirit, the Holy Spirit:--ghost, life, spirit (-ual, -ually), mind. Comp. G5590.
    G4154 pneo, pneh'-o; a prim. word; to breathe hard, i.e. breeze:--blow. Comp. G5594.
    G5594 psucho, psoo'-kho; a prim. verb; to breathe (voluntarily but gently; thus differing on the one hand from G4154, which denotes prop. a forcible respiration; and on the other from the base of G109, which refers prop. to an inanimate breeze), i.e. (by impl. of reduction of temperature by evaporation) to chill (fig.):--wax cold.
    G5590. psuche, psoo-khay'; from G5594; breath, i.e. (by impl.) spirit, abstr. or concr. (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from G4151, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from G2222, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Heb. H5315, H7307 and H2416):--heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

Aer Associates air with the God in spirit.

As you admit ouranos denotes the atmosphere so I think we can agree that if Paul meant to say sky he would have used this word and not aer which has spiritual connotation. Ouranos would have left no doubt he meant sky. Aer is just not at all the same limited meaning.

I appreciate your efforts John, but I’m going to have to stick with the spiritual connotation for aer here.

20. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

No your physical body does not rise out of the ground

Sorry, I thought I had answered it point blank.

No the physical body does not rise out of the ground.

Your soul is transformed into a glorified state and dwells in heaven with God (if you want to call it a spiritual body—go ahead)

Your soul is separated from your body and goes to heaven. Your physical body does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.