1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A defence of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother James, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson New Member

Sorry----There is no "man" at the beginning of my "trail of blood".

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

How do you KNOW that you're one of the elect? Maybe you're simply one of those stinking dirty sinners who hates God masquerading as one that is saved.

3. bjonson

bjonson New Member

StraightAndNarrow:

I know I am one of the elect because I am saved and trust Christ alone for my salvation:

"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life." (1 John 5:13, ESV)

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

That isn't a proof. This scripture applies to everyone who would like to think they are members of the Elect. The Bible says they few will find the way.

Again, how do you know that you are one of the Elect?

5. standingfirminChrist

God is not willing that any should perish, but that ALL should come to repentence.

Christ died for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD.

Ya know, I notice a holier-than-thou, self righteous, prideful spirit in people who make statements like 'those dirty rotten sinners'.

Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    Luke 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    Luke 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

6. bjonson

bjonson New Member

standingfirminChrist,

I notice a "holier-than-thou" attitude in people who think they were good enough, or smart enough, or persuaded enough, to "choose" salvation when the Bible says they are DEAD unless and until the Holy Spirit regenerates them.

Sinners are dirty, rotten and they hate God. The Bible says we were all enemies of God until He saved us. That is quite easy to see.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the fact that we are made in His image and likeness?

I know you don't believe that His image and likeness is as you described man above do you?

James 3
    8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
    9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
    10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

HankD

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

HankD