1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Different Idea for Amending the Federal Constitution

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jun 10, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that the Federal Marriage Amendment, as written, has failed, I would like to throw another idea into the mix. What if the amendment, instead of banning homosexual "marriage" on a federal level, simply stated that one state would not be forced by the wording of any other section of the federal constitution to recognize a homosexual "marriage" that was accepted in another state? The fear of states being forced to recognize homosexual "marriages" has been the main driving force behind those who support the Federal Marriage Amendment.

I don't like amending the federal constitution to make social policy(the only time we have done so was for Prohibition and that was such a debacle that it was repealed), but perhaps this would be a solution to this social issue as long as we continue to intertwine divine marriage and civil marriage.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Repeal Art. 4 Sec. 1?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only for this one area of civil marriage.

Personally, I think even this amendment is a bad idea but I think it might be an interesting compromise solution.

Frankly, I would like to see the strict separation of marriage and state.