1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A future Temple

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ~JM~, Mar 27, 2007.

1. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Do you think there will be a future Temple built? Will it fit the description given in Eze. 40-48?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't know, but I'm guessing yes there will be a future temple built (a real one on earth). Will it be like Eze's temple? No idea. Seems like either we're missing some important symbolism in that design, or the design would be a waste if it wasn't built.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

If so then I guess Jesus' blood wasn't sufficient to forgive sins in the MK.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Huh? You totally lost me here.

5. Rex77

Rex77 Member

There will be another temple built before Ezekiel’s temple in the tribulation in which antichrist sits.

2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Mt 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

6. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grasshopper
    If so then I guess Jesus' blood wasn't sufficient to forgive sins in the MK.

The OT sacrifices and feasts will be a memorial, as we keep the Lord’s table now.

And we will keep the Lord’s supper in the kingdom as well as a memorial.

We will keep Lord’s table

Mt 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.

And Israel will keep passover

Lu 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

7. johnp.

johnp. New Member

1CO 3:16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

That is where the anti-Christ will live, in men's hearts. If the Temple is rebuilt then it will not be the Temple of God but the temple might be rebuilt.

john.

8. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

In Zechariah 14 we see both a Temple and Sacrifices being mentioned, this is after the the battle of Armageddon, what do you guys make of this?

Peace,

j

9. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Quote Johnp
    -------------------------------------
    That is where the anti-Christ will live, in men's hearts.

----------------------------------------------------

Then they would be the temple of antichrist ,not the temple of God.

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Cobber.

The heart is the temple of God and if another sits there it doesn't make it the another's temple as it still belongs to God. :) Usurpers are usurpers not owners.

john.

11. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Before anyone flames me please keep in mind that I'm not arguing for a future Temple, just asking questions about Scriptures that I'm confused about, I'm seeking answers...that's all.

For many Ezekiel is simply too exact to be understood in the ‘spiritual’ sense. In 2 Thess. 2:3-4 the apostle Paul tells us about the anti-Christ who ‘sitteth in the Temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.’ If anti-Christ is to be seated in the Temple, shouldn't there be a Temple. Are all sacrifices the same? Are they for the same purpose? Hebrews is dealing with the Atonement not, for example, the Feast of Tabernacles which seems to be celebrated during the millennium. Zech. 14, Eze. 45. Zech. 14 seems to be saying AFTER armageddon the Feast of Tabernacles will be celebrated. This isn't a return to the past, but a revelation of the future, which will be regulated under the New Covenant that exists now. Jeremiah 31:31-34 is very clear about the future, "not like the covenant which I made with their fathers," but this is a fact of the NC Jer. 31:27-28; 32:37-41; Eze. 37:25-26. How can the Temple be considered desecrated if it was rejected by God? If the Temple of Rev. 11 was false why did God object to the abomination if it was already an abomination? And why do the two witnesses of Revelation mourn the Temple, shouldn't they have been happy with the end of "shadows and types?" ["sackcloth and ashes" is a sign of mourning in 11:3.] How is the Temple made an abomination if Christ is reigning and ruling that Temple now? Who casts the Holy Spirit out of the spiritual Temple to cause the abomination? Is it possible that some Scriptures when taken literally do in fact speak of a spiritual Temple but others speak of a physical Temple?

Thanks, this topic has always interested me and I'm looking forward to finding some answers.

Peace,

j

12. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Quote johnp
    ---------------------------------------------
    The heart is the temple of God
    ------------------------------------------

The heart of an unsaved the temple of God, I don’t think so.

Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

2Cor 6.
    14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

13. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Matt 23:38 Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, `Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.' "

So no temple built by the Israelis will be holy or sanctioned by God because He said they wouldn't see Him again until He returns. No sacrifices are acceptable to God but Christ's. No sacrifices can be performed by any but Levites and no records survive to prove who is a Levite. This last might be superceded by the discovery of records.

'two witnesses of Revelation mourn the Temple' Where is this?

The heart of men is God's dwelling place not a building made by hands. Since the reprobate's heart is never indwelt it doesn't mean that their heart belongs to another. Anyone or anything that takes God's place, Duet 6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength, is an abomination and it causes desolation.

john.

14. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member

It is being built now...the Church! The problem with literalism is that it overlooks the fact that this prophesy was given to Israel in a way that they would understand so it speaks of preiests, sacrifices and a temple etc however the true import is to be understood spiritually.

I would suggest you read Matthew Henry's take on it http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc4.xxvi.xli.html as well as looking to buy a copy of William Greenhill's commentary on Ezekiel published by Banner of Truth.

:)

#14 RichardJS, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  15. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Would you care to take a swing at the questions I posted?

:1_grouphug:

16. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member

Beyond my ability at this time I have to confess. I am sure some of the PRC ministers could help you out if you emailed them:

http://www.prca.org/Seminary/faculty.htm

17. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Is Jesus' sacrifice no longer in effect in the MK? If we are to read it "literally", why do they need a sin offering?

Eze 40:39 And in the porch of the gate were two tables on this side, and two tables on that side, to slay thereon the burnt offering and the sin offering and the trespass offering.

Eze 42:13 Then said he unto me, The north chambers and the south chambers, which are before the separate place, they be holy chambers, where the priests that approach unto the LORD shall eat the most holy things: there shall they lay the most holy things, and the meat offering, and the sin offering, and the trespass offering; for the place is holy.

Eze 43:27 And when these days are expired, it shall be, that upon the eighth day, and so forward, the priests shall make your burnt offerings upon the altar, and your peace offerings; and I will accept you, saith the Lord GOD.

Eze 45:17 And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moons, and in the sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

Eze 46:20 Then said he unto me, This is the place where the priests shall boil the trespass offering and the sin offering, where they shall bake the meat offering; that they bear them not out into the utter court, to sanctify the people.

Why would these sacrifices be re-instituted? God wasn't too thrilled with them the first time:

Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
    Heb 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

Heb 10:8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

18. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Where does it say these sacrifices for sins will be a memorial? I realize it comes from the Walvoord/Pentecost playbook but where does scripture say such a thing?

Are Matt 26:29 and Luke 22:16 different events? Where do you get that one is for jews and one is for Christians?

19. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Grasshopper quote
    -----------------------------------------
    Are Matt 26:29 and Luke 22:16 different events? Where do you get that one is for jews and one is for Christians?
    ----------------------------------------------

The Jews Passover

Luke 22.
    13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
    14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
    15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
    16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
    17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
    18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

The Lords Table

Luke 22.
    19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

In Mt.26 account of both passover and Lords supper Mathew adds below re the Lords supper.

Mt 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.

Since Christs shed blood has washed away our sins, and there are sacrifices in MK they must only be as a memorial.

20. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member

Just wondering if you have ever read the book of Hebrews?

Heb 8:5 "Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount."

Heb 10:1 "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect."

Try also:
    http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/comment3/comm_vol44/htm/xiv.htm
    http://www.freegrace.net/sermon/Hebrews.htm

You believe that the wall of partition which Christ destroyed will be rebuilt, sacrifices reinstituted, a priesthood restarted etc? In short a return to the types and shadows of Christ where now we have the reality!