1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Man Alone Visits Arlington National Cemetary

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Nov 12, 2017.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Army Veteran Saw a 'Lone Man' at Arlington on Veterans Day — Who It Was Defines What It Means to Serve America

“Far away from cameras and fanfare,” Brown saw a “lone man” who he later realized was retired U.S. Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis, who is secretary of defense. At the time, he was surprised to see him at Section 60, but upon reflection, he told IJR, “I can't imagine anywhere else he'd be on Veterans Day.”

An older man, who donned a hat and sweatshirt with Marine Corps logos and slogans, approached Mattis, shook his hand, and called it an “honor” to meet the general. While the father was moved to see him, he clarified to Mattis, “I know that's just the kind of man you are.”

Brown explained to IJR that the man had been visiting the grave of his son, who was a Marine and told Mattis his son considered him “his hero.”

The general smiled and said something similar to, “Well, I think your son is one of mine.”

He explained that the general conversed with everyone “like an old friend,” and never did the majority of the talking, but instead chose to listen.

“He was just as comfortable talking to an Army major in dress blues as he was a service member's child, and the ability to transition seamlessly from one particular type of loss to another is something I've never seen in anyone else, military or otherwise,” Brown told IJR.

While the encounter was certainly meaningful to everyone he spoke to on Saturday, Brown explained that Mattis's actions also have an effect on the military as a whole.

“I think it's important that the boots on the ground feel like there's someone at the top who has their backs,” he said.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1