1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A new book on Baptist History

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Dr.Tim, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Hello everyone. I hope I am not bringing you old news.. there is a new book on Baptist History that I have been reading. Name of it is "American in Crimson Red: THe Baptist History of America". I wouldnt say its the most exciting book, but it is a complete and exhaustive word thaty i think anyone in ministry needs to read to appreciate what our baptist forefathers experienced in passing on our beliefs. It is a good book... solid and detailed.

tim

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the book and am reading it through for the second time. I agree that every Baptist pastor should read this book.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

And, if you are NOT a Baptist pastor.....?

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read it any way so you can find out what was bought for you and the price that was paid for the purchase.

5. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Amazon.Com said the book normally ships in 3 - 5 weeks. Is this reasonable? Their price is 21.12, which seems to be pretty reasonable.

6. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

yeah thats a good price, go for it!
    Sorry i put that in a way that slighted non-baptists.. wasnt my intention.
    tim

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Squire Rob--
    My post was meant in jest.

While I'm sure that it wasn't your intention (and I think I DO know what you meant), it often strikes me as odd that, when I read a book review or see an advertisement, or some other means of publicizing (like these forums) a particular book (or books) it see this phrase "Every (Baptist) pastor should have THIS book!" or something such as "A MUST READ for every (Baptist) Preacher!" and so forth.

It's like, OK, God never called me to preach in the sense of a "puplit ministry." I've never been licensed as a Gospel Preacher, much less ordained as a person about to fulfill the office of pastor.

So, then I'm thinking, well I guess that book (or whatever [CD, tape, software program, etc.] is NOT for me!!

I am not ashamed to call myself a Baptist any more than I would be ashamed to call myself an American.

Sure, there are lots of people, churches, ministries, etc., that may have the name "Baptist" in their title that I might find to be embarassed to be associated with as a fellow Baptist. And, likewise, not everything that operates under the guise of being called "American" would I, as an American, be proud to be connected with (EX: The group People for the "American" Way).

Having a graduate degree in history, and being one who loves to read of the great exploits of our Baptist forefathers, I fear that one reason there is so much shallowness in most of our Baptist ranks today is because the average so-called "Baptist church member" tends to be totally ignorant of our noble Baptist heritage.

Yes, part of the blame may lie with the pastors or preachers being just as ignorant of our Baptist heritage as those filling the pews in most any Baptist church.

However, where does the Bible say that ONLY the preacher/pastor should diligently study the Word of God and be capable in witnessing and proclaiming its truth?

Why is it that some folks have no clue about things not only in the strict Bible sense, but also about those other subjects that are related to the fleshing out of the Great Commission such as our Baptist history and heritage?

Maybe if some of these non-preachers would also get off their duffs and get busy reading for themselves about the people from which Baptists draw their lineage, there just might be an (if you will) a revival in and amonst our Baptist people today.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Does anyone know which take the author has on Calvinism in the SBC?

I.e., which theological group does he claim dominated the SBC landscape: Sandy Creek, Charleston, or a mix of the two theologies?

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concur especially with your observation that:
    and