1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A non-Calvinistic & non-Arminian interpretation of Romans 3:10-18

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by George Antonios, Aug 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quote Paul. You are taking issue with Paul as Paul very clearly argues we are justified by faith alone. If you chose to reject what Paul and the Reformers taught, then you can only hold to a Roman Catholic theology or a sect of Christianity generally considered to be a cult within Christianity. However, you have nothing to do with the Reformers in your present argument.

2. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    George, with due respect, justification by faith alone is directly connected to Romans 3:10-18. What I am arguing with kyredneck is directly related to understanding that no person in the flesh can be righteous.

Romans 8:5-8 hammers home Paul's quote of the Palmist in Romans 3:10-18.
    For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

3. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I whole-heartedly agree that justification by faith without works (i.e. alone) is Pauline doctrine, in fact the beating heart of Pauline doctrine, and am a little shocked to see @kyredneck deny it (not to mention the irony of a man who claims justification by faith and works while calling his brother "idiot") but I'm just trying to thwart a run-on tangent.
    I agree it's related, but then that debate could co-opt the whole thread.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're absolutely right. While the aim was to 'jolt' my brother out of the Reformed rut that I've seen so many get stuck in, I was way out of line. I shouldn't have said that. @AustinC, please accept my sincere apology. IMO, it speaks highly of your character that you never reported the post.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem. I just don't get your insistence on Roman Catholic theology of justification by faith plus works. Such synergism is not found in the Reformed community.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're wearisome with your accusations.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're hallucinating. I guess you think me an idiot if you think I'm going to embrace your hallucinations. NOTHING you've posted contains anything close to Paul stating justification is by faith alone. Paul refutes justification by faith alone here:

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified: Ro 2
    24 being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Ro 3
    1 Being therefore justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;
    9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, shall we be saved from the wrath of God through him. Ro 5
    33 Who shall lay anything to the charge of God`s elect? It is God that justifieth; Ro 8

James concisely refutes it:

24 Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not only by faith. Ja 2

#27 kyredneck, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not shown why you aren't a Roman Catholic when you are arguing for justification by faith plus works, a position enforced by Rome at the Council of Trent. How can you reject the very tenet of all the Reformers (justification by faith alone) and not be Roman Catholic, Othodox or Coptic?
    Since you reject the fundamental belief of the Reformation, what branch of Christianity do you place yourself?

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    kyredneck, I can see you have a stumbling block in front of you whereby you do not have the capacity to understand Paul's argument in Romans. I suggest you start at the beginning of chapter 1 and slowly, methodically work through the letter, observing what Paul's apologetic argument is. Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and Menno Simons all found agreement in Justification by faith alone as taught in Romans. You are fighting against the entire reformation in your disagreement here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You’re shallow and wearisome with your accusations. I have solid scripture backing me, all you have are your hallucinations and erronious Reformed dogma.

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are arguing for the Council of Trent. What is tiresome is your denial of justification by faith alone, the very cornerstone of the Reformation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I challenge you. Produce just ONE statement from the scriptures that says that justification is by faith ALONE. There’s plenty that states justification/salvation is by faith but absolutely NONE that states that justification/salvation is by faith ALONE.

Show me, Set aside your hallucinations, your brainwashing, and show me. One. Just one.

#32 kyredneck, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    kyredneck, read Paul's argument in Romans. His argument is that we are justified by faith alone.

Romans 4:1-25 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.” Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness. How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well, and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised. For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression. That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah’s womb. No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

Now, tell me why you openly support Rome.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really are hallucinating, aren't you.

Cease the smoke screen, pinpoint the verse where Paul states that justification is by faith alone.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have provided all the information from scripture. You reject all the Reformers and either live on your own island alone or embrace the Roman Catholic Church.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you haven't. You're unable to provide even one verse where Paul states that justification is by faith alone.

You insist that all that's necessary for our justification is our faith. That must mean that you believe the blood of Christ is not required for our justification, only our faith. Right?:

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, shall we be saved from the wrath of God through him. Ro 5

...and that God's grace is not necessary for our justification, only our faith. Right?:

24 being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Ro 3

...and that good works are not necessary for our justification, only our faith. Right?:

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified: Ro 2

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    kyredneck, you can't handle the truth. It is ever before you, even in the passage you quote, yet you will not believe that a person is justified by faith alone. Such bullheadedness has you living in a Roman Catholic theology that has no part in the Protestant community. You have fully adopted the decision of the Cpuncil of Trent. I leave you to your folly.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You disappoint. Instead of addressing a retort from scripture you persist with this petty form of sanctimonious ad hominem.

#38 kyredneck, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  19. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ga

Sorry friend but man naturally doesnt and cant seek God. Man naturally is dead to God and being only in the flesh CANT PLEASE GOD Rom 8:8

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

And seeking God by Faith pleases God Heb 11:6

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

And without coincidence, that word seek in Heb 11:6 is the same word seeketh in Rom 3:11

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Because man naturally cant seek God, docent have the ability or the desire.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have abandoned all that the Reformation fought for. There is no need to discuss this topic with you any further. I consider you a Roman Catholic in your position regarding justification.