1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A nuanced interpretation of Daniel 9:27

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by George Antonios, Nov 5, 2019.

1. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A number of people have dismissed the teaching presented in the following video right off hand without listening to it or specifically pointing out the errors and specifically correcting them. I'm putting it here to see if anyone can shoot legitimate holes in it. If there's something wrong, please tell why and how and correct it.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not reject the truth that there will be a covenant between the Jews and the antichrist. That is clear from Isaiah 28:14-18. I just make the point that the covenant which is confirmed in Daniel 9:27 is not that devilish covenant, but rather the Mosaic covenant.

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't watch thde video but it is correct that antichrist makes a covenant with the Jews. In fact antichrist is not mentioned in Daniel 9 at all.

3. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, this is simply wrong. Read 2 Kings 18 and 19.

‘The ally mentioned in this passage of Isaiah is Egypt and this is something which happened a long, long time ago.

This is not talking about something which will happen in our future.

4. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you mean "incorrect"?

5. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isa 28:21 For the LORD shall rise up as in mount Perazim, he shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act.
    That sets the context as the second coming. Historical foreshadows are exactly that: foreshadows.
    Such a set up is constantly replayed in the Bible where past events are adumbrations of what's coming in the tribulation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recalling battles where Israelites slaughtered tons of people sets the context as the second coming??!

No, no it doesn’t.

It sets the context of what soon happens to the Israelites of that time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely correct. Good spot.
    Nice to see someone who actually reads the posts.

8. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely it does. And often such passages contain elements that did not happen in the historical event. And also verses that are clearly prophetic. The examples are too numerous to list.

Thank you. But it's because I sincerely want to see if someone can spot a mistake so I can correct my aim.
    But it's clear that there is indeed such a covenant between the Jews and the antichrist (Isa.28:14-18 and John 5:43, etc).
    My point is simply that the covenant of Daniel 9:27 is the Mosaic covenant.

9. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, verse 21 is prophetic, but it is prophetic for a time which has already passed. At best, you can try to claim a dual prophecy - one that has already passed and one in the future.

Even then, I have no reason to believe that this is a dual prophecy other than "George said so." The surrounding text does not support that idea and nothing elsewhere in the Bible supports that idea. And sorry, I'm not going to take your word for it.

No, they are definitely not. You may not have time to list the verses you think exist, but the Bible is finite so they are not too numerous to list.

10. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh. Alright. Moving on.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prophecy has always been of interest to me. I listen to what you have presented and I can agree. I understand the first 3 1/2 years to be a resurgance in Judaism and sometime after the first 3,1/2 years. The Jews may realize they've been deceived. Although no one is saved through the sacrifice of animals. Somewhere in that first half there has to be the 144000 Jews who will preach the truth along with the two witnesses. Christians are already being beheaded in some parts of the world. Christians are being accused of being responsible for terrorism because they reject Islam.

This real ID thing that's coming in 2020 I think may be the beginning of the mark of the beast. I've known for a long time that the SSI number would come in to play with the mark of the beast.. I read recently that every country in the world have similar numbering of it's citizens.I know a cashless system is coming and real soon. They claim it will disable criminals but we all know that criminals will figure a way to keep right on being criminal no matter what men do.

I just keep looking for my Savior who is the greatest thing to come This makes me both sad and happy. Sad for those who reject the truth and happy to know the suffering in this world for Christians will be short.
    MB

• Like Like x 1