1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Personal Relationship with Jesus is not enough

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Born Again Catholic, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would think that most Calvinists would agree with all of this.
    Isn't effectual call another name for irresistable grace?

2. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

DHK,

Yes, human reason rebels at Christ's words and tries to find a rational explanation. Yet, in His last testament, Christ willed to us His body and blood in, with, and under bread and wine for the forgiveness of sins. How is this possible? It is possible because Christ is true God and true man. He is not limited by time and space.

Communion is the receiving of the testament of Christ not the covenant of works that the papists and the baptists have invented.

3. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

I would think that most Calvinists would agree with all of this.
    Isn't effectual call another name for irresistable grace?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, I've been hanging around Calvinists too long. I'm starting to use their terms. :eek:

Lutherans view justification as a judical act; whereas, Calvinists see justification as a process. When justification is a process, man cooperates even if the Calvinists say cooperation is irresistible.

4. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Do you recall Luther's explanation to the third article?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Who is to talk about "human reasoning" and rationalization here? How about some Bible exposition instead? Where in the Bible does it say that the Lord "willed" His body and blood to us. It doesn't. He didn't "will" it; He sacrificed it; and he sacrificed it once for all. The elements of the Lord's Table are purely symbolic, are not salvic in any way, neither are they any means of grace in any way shape or form. They are simply symbolic of our Lord's body and blood, and that is all. There is no forgiveness that can take place as a result of partaking of these elements. There is no magical supernatural quality about them that can forgive sins. Only Christ Himself can do that, and He is not present in those elements. They are purely symbolic. He is as much present in those elements as he is in the very pages of my bible, in fact perhaps he is more so in my Bible than in the elements, even though my Bible is made only of paper.
    I don't worship the elements, and I don't worship the actual Bible itself. I worship Christ.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    DHK

6. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

7. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Tell me, is it essentially or necessarily a non-sequitur?

Faith does not trump baptism. Baptism is the instrument through which faith is obtained. Can faith be obtained by those who reject baptism? No. Therefore baptism is necessary for salvation.

I would agree with equation X. Baptism is the means whereby we obtain faith. And the faith of Christ saves us through baptism. And baptism saves us through faith.

I would not agree with equation Y. Baptism does not produce unbelief. If someone believes that baptism saves without faith, that belief was not generated by their baptism.

Faith does not come without the Word (Romans 10:17). When Christ says salvation comes through baptism, He is saying that baptism is a form of the Word. Can a person reject baptism and thereby reject the Word and have faith? No. Can a person receive faith through preaching? Yes (1 Cor. 1:21).

8. jasonW*

jasonW* New Member

Yes.

So, you cannot have faith without baptism? Painted-corner what?

I'll let the rest of the people on the board correct you on this one.

Well, first of all, it is grace that saves us, through faith.

Secondly, where does it say that baptism saves us through faith?

I think you need to take a math class.

Baptism - Faith = Damnation does not say baptism produces unbelief. What is says, in conjunction with the first equation, is that faith is the lynchpin. Without faith, we cannot be saved. But, of course you would see this if you read the post closely.

Where does it say that a person cannot reject baptism? I am curious. Because we are explicitly told that if we have no belief, we are damned. But we are not told that if we have no baptism that we are damned. You are presuming that. Yes you are. Stop shaking your head. Yup...you are.

jason

9. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

I haven't read through the whole post. I was just wondering how someone can say they have a personal relationship with someone they can't identify? If someone says, I have a personal relationship with God or the Lord. Who are they talking about? The Father, Son or Holy Spirit? I believe the first step in having a relationship is being able to identify the other person in the relationship.