1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Preemptive Strike

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the earliest days of our republic, it has been well understood that the powers of the federal government are limited in scope. To ensure against federal encroachment on the rights of the states to regulate matters within their own borders, the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution provides that those powers not delegated to the federal government by the Constitution "are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Limited central government is one of the underlying principles of conservative thought.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080302/31391_A_Preemptive_Strike.htm

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not what you would consider a "conservative," at least not fiscally, but I think there is much to this point. I think the Constitution allows for some "wiggle room" with the elastic clause, but I'd be more comfortable with an amendment expanding the powers of the federal government.

I think that in the late 1700s, a limited government was feasible. In the present era, centralization is key on many issues, IMO.

Here's the deal: a social conservative (I'd consider myself to be one of these) can run into trouble with the Constitution, specifically on gay marriage. With the "full faith and credit clause," the Defense of Marriage Act is ridiculously unconstitutional. We've generally avoided the full fallout of this, primarily because of Massachusetts' laws prohibiting marriages that would not be legal in the state of residence for the persons wanting to be married. One day, though, it will come.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

The interstate commerce and the general welfare clauses have been interpreted to mean the Federal government can do most anything.