1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Problem with Christians

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by browes, May 13, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sure we can. A huge dose of humility goes a long way. We can answer every question with an answer. Sometimes the answer is "I do not know."

It is not always arrogance. It may be actual answers one needs. It was in a physics class when God began to really get ahold of me. I began to notice all of the formulas and constants. Later I began to think about the person I wanted to be and see myself against God's perfection. Then one day a knock came at my door. It was a student along with another student I knew from one of my classes.

2. Hawkins

Hawkins New Member

Well, if consider that a good answer, there's no questions can be on your way. :laugh: Other than that, you are repeating my words, pal.

Well, nothing can "always" if you are talking about absolute, which I agree.

All in all, I found nothing in your this post which is actually disagree with my POV.

3. standingfirminChrist

The sad reality of the matter is that many people will never come to know Christ because they see those who claim to be 'of Christ' acting as they themselves act without Christ.

John said we are in the world, but not of the world. He also said if we love the things of the world, the love of the Father is not in us.

Do you really love the Lord? Is His love truly in us?

David said in the 34th Psalm, "My soul shall make her boast in the Lord..."

If your boast is in the Lord and what He has done for you, you are going to reflect His love for you for others to see.

A preacher who plans on getting 'plastered' has shown where his heart really is. He is yielding himself a servant to unrighteousness before the action has taken place because he has spoken from the abundance of his heart.

How many has this preacher deceived through such actions? How many have rejected Christ because of such actions from one who claims to be of God but yields himself over as a servant to sin?

How long must man halt between two choices?

4. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I came across a great analogy when I was looking for something else. The analogy was supposedly first coined by Charles Spurgeon and I think does a very good job of portraying the very issue at heart here. I don't know all the rules of posting links and such, but since I am copying and pasting the entire article below, I've also included the link to the article. If moderators feel that posting a link is against board rules, please feel free to remove this post.

Source:

http://bloodtippedears.blogspot.com/2008/04/paul-washer-psychological-manipulation.html

#24 mparkerfd20, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me get this straight; your answer to the Op’s reaching out for guidance toward witnessing to a seeker is to suggest to him to that maybe they are not one of the elect?!? This is the first thing that comes to your mind??? Typical, but Bud…I hope you never repeat that type copout, hyper philosophy bunk, in person-in front of someone as bold as I can get, while they are witnessing to a seeker…that is, if you get offended easily. Oh man!, them would be fighting words, but, would surely open the door to the educating of that lost person in WHY the Lord died for "him!"

:BangHead:

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Actually, I think he means fundamentalists.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You need to let your friend know---that in spite of the fact that many so called "Christians" say what they say and do what they do---that he(your friend) is still responsible for himself and his own need to be born again from above

You see---when I get to Glory(Heaven)----nobody will be there for me to point out and say----"Lord!!! THAT person is responsible for me not . . . "----no, it'll be just me and the blessed Lord Jesus I'll have to answer for and to!!!!

8. lbaker

lbaker New Member

That was intended to be sarcasm. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.

But, that sort of statement is the logical outcome of thinking God chooses some and rejects others.

9. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I know this was kinda tongue in cheek, but let's not dismiss the fact that the doctrine of election is completely biblical.

“He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world” (Eph. 1:4).

Jesus said to His disciples, “You did not choose Me, but I chose you” (John 15:16).

And Paul said, “But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth” (2 Thess. 2:13).

These topics describing the sovereignty of God's choice of believers aren't in the bible to create controvery. And it doesn't mean that sinners don’t make decisions. Election doesn't dismiss the responsibility to respond to the gospel by faith. If our salvation depends solely on a "decision" by us, where is the need to praise God? This is probably a discussion for another thread, but I didn't want anyone to completely dismiss this vitally important doctrine either.

10. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Whenever my brother in law starts talking about the hypocrites in church and why he won't go....I tell him the same thing one of my pastors used to say:

The only thing smaller than a hypocrite is someone who can hide behind one.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Then I can be saved and live anyway I want and negate the very words of Christ?
    Mattew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

No "if"'s with God. All actions of God are providential acts of God.

Maybe if you cling to a liberal mindset would your estimation be true, but then that would ultimately be false.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Of course he's not until he gets saved.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I wasn't, but God has taught me the old Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Your pastor is a very wise man. I'll ask the Lord to remind me of that one!:godisgood:

15. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I would caution those who would stand in judgement:
    Gal 2:11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.
    Gal 2:12 For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party.
    Gal 2:13 And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy.

16. seraphim79

seraphim79 New Member

I agree this is a common problem and I have had many of the same conversations with people I know. I have even had these conversation with other baptists who tell everyone they meet that they are baptist but then head down to the clubs on Friday night. It's not that you can't have fun, but why would a practicing christian put themselves in a place like that, what does that say to all the people they just told they are baptist?

I also have seen an ignorance about the faith, but I really don't put the blame on that person, much of what they should have learned they should have learned as children and did not. But, I believe that as adults they now have a responsibility to catch up.

my pastor once said, "if you are going to proclaim yourself a Christian, then you had better act like one. Don't put a Christian bumper sticker on your car and then flip someone the bird when they cut in front of you." I think he is absolutely right. teach by example. there are so many confused non-believers out there b/c they have never really come into contact with a "practicing" Christian.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

Matt 7 "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:"

This is the verse I remind myself of when I am in church. Imo, most church people aren't Christian. I attend a very good church btw.

Jesus stated the two most important commands are to love God with all of your heart and soul and love one another as ourselves.

It says in the Bible not to be unequally yoked and not to love the world nor the things of the world. So basically, when you go to church, that is likely what you are doing. Just my opinion. From being on the BB for over a year now, I would guess this is the norm. Our church people are usually much more liberal than my unbelieving friends, harder to get along with, etc...

So if stuck, it's best to hang around unbelievers who share your common moral values (godly values) so you can remain on the Godly path. At least until you find those rare folks whom display godly fruit. This will convince you they will make it through the narrow gate. I have great Christian friends but it took a long time to find these people.

It's much easier for me often to speak with unbelievers about my faith than to speak to believers. I think satan's demons work extra hard in churches to cause anger, hatred and fighting over minute topics. If you were Satan or his demons, where would you go to cause havok?

Maybe you could explain it in this manner to your friend if you wish. What he is feeling is normal, it is reality.

#37 Joe, May 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008