1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question about Baptist theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ChurchBoy, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Each and every one of us should thank God that we have those core beliefs to bind us together and at the same time can differ about things like end times, communion, etc. The relationship of one Baptist church to another and to the Convention is far superior to any other denomination where, as Tom says, the power flows down. Also, most members of those denominations do not have the freedom to differ about so many issues, not near the freedom we have. Yet, if the church I attend is an example of other Baptist churches, the congregations are unified in Christ with that freedom.

2. FollowMeHome

FollowMeHome New Member

Tom Butler,

Now I'm totally confused. What distinguishes "Baptists" from "Church of Christ"?

I makes no sense to me. I thought there was more that made Baptists Baptist.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

FollowMeHome, let me see if I can give some specific instances of differences between Baptists and other denominations.

Baptism: Baptists--by immersion of believers only.
    Church of Christ--by immersion, necessary for salvation.

Salvation: Baptists--by grace through repentance and faith.
    Church of Christ and some others --repentance and faith plus
    baptism.

Apostasy: Baptists--a true believer cannot lose his salvation.
    Methodists, Episcopalians, Catholics, some
    Pentecostals, Church of Christ--a saved person can lose
    salvation. As a general rule, any denominaton which holds to
    baptismal regeneration also believes in falling from
    grace, although Methodists don't exactly fit that
    category.

Lord's Supper: Baptist--a memorial only with no sacramental value.
    Church of Christ--a memorial with no saving value.
    Episcopals, Catholics--a sacrament, a means of grace.
    Many evangelical churches also consider it a memorial
    only.

We're pretty close to Presbyterians and Cumberland Presbyterians in soteriology, but they they both sprinkle. Most Baptist churches have a pastor and deacons as officers (also that's changing somewhat) with a robust congregatonal government; they have ruling elders.

Baptist share common doctrines with many evangelical churches and even with Catholics and Episcopalians. In addition, there are many evangelical groups which do not go by the name Baptist, but are baptistic in doctrine. There may be some differences in eccleisology and practices What it boils down to is, if you tell someone, "I believe this and this and this and this" (those things outlined in a previous post), they will like say to you, "well, you're Baptist." That's what I meant by Baptist Distinctives.

4. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Personally, I believe the sign gifts are here unless somebody can somehow prove to me otherwise. I've not seen Biblical evidence that could prove to me that the sign gifts have ended. And believe you me, I've studied the issue out quite thoroughly. I've seen some of these gifts used first hand, and I know fellow believers who have experienced and used the gifts, and I have no reason to doubt their testimony regarding the gifts. That being said, I believe that many Pentecostals have it wrong...and I know several Pentecostals who will tell you the same thing. But there are some Pentecostal churches who very closely follow the Biblical pattern when it comes to using the gifts.

5. StanSan

StanSan New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume that generally cessationism is a false response to false charismaniac (this is the proper term) practices. It is good to note that the pioneers of cessationism were German liberal theologians (Schleiermacher, Bultmann) who believed only in their minds.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    12 year old zombie thread. Closed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.