1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question about Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is not a false statement it is a bit of historical theology. I've read the Scriptures cover to cover, several times, and even with an eye towards theology. I just don't see it.

I was raised in a dispensationalist church and attended a dispensationalist school for college. After much prayer and study I have moved away from that position. Also, the argument gets confounded when reading early church fathers and every major theologian from the first century to the 19th century and you don't see the structure, forms, or even a hinting at a dispensationalist theology.

But then again it is only a theological framework and not the least bit salvific. Unless you suggest that to be Christian one must be dispensational...and I don't know anyone who would attempt that position. :)

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eph 1:10, "with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth.(NASU)"

Eph 3:2, "if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace which was given to me for you;(NASU)"

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

What is your point?

4. OldRegular

So you had read about the dispensations before you cleverly found them in Scripture.

How do you know there was no human government before the flood? Scripture tells us very little about life before the flood.

5. OldRegular

Just like dispensationalists is a name applied to people. Though I sometimes use the term Darbyites, though not to my friends who are unfortunately seduced by the Scofield bible..

I don’t consider myself reformed. I don’t believe Baptists needed to be reformed. They should not be considered Protestants. There are no parctices in the Baptist church that I am aware of that mimic the Roman Catholics.

Sadly most dispensationalist I know are aware only of the pre trib rapture. Ask them about the parenthesis church and you get a blank stare.

I am not delusionsl. That is a mental condition that some suffer from through no fault of their own and it should not be used indiscriminately.

I believe that the Particular Baptists outnumbered the General Baptists. If you have facts to the contrary I would like to see them.

Thank you.

Neither am I, or Darby, or Ryrie, or Walvoord. I do like some of the writings of MacArthur. Perhaps he will come to understand the error of dispensationalism.

6. OldRegular

Actually dispensational doctrine was invented by Darby about 1830, that is almost 180 years.

There have always been believers, just not in dispensationalism.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Compare posts #20 and #22. I cannot even imagine using those verses in the KJV to prove dispensationalism. The NASU does not provide the right wording for dispensationalists but it does come from a study of the Greek text. Even a Greek concordance would show that. The idea of dispensational theology does not fit in at all with Eph. 2:19 as believers are called the household of God. Shall they be called the dispensations of God in fitting with what dispensationalists would use from Eph. 1:10 and 3:2? Ephesians 1:3-23 is the Proem (prayer of thanksgiving and/or intercession). In Eph. 3:2 was the seventh dispensation of God's grace given to Paul? I see nothing to indicate grace as a dispnesation but that Paul is a steward of God's grace not a time period.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you mean the gap theory perpetrated on Christians by Scofield.

Sure there are: denominational and convention politics, recently pedophiles who are leaders in local churches, most in the congregation do not know their Bible is to just name a few.

Many are changing though. The older dispensationalists were good at eisegesis and sticking to the theological systyem to interpret. However the younger folks do not agree much with their predecessors and have drawn closer to the historical context.

Remember that MacArthur strayed from being Baptist.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Calvinists

10. historyb

historyb New Member

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And before John Calvin? What I find interesting is how many so called calvinists have never read Calvin's institutes and do not know what Calvin actually wrote. When I read Calvin's Institutes I found some rather interesting views by Calvin of his own work often not claimed by "calvinists."

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

so you do not claim to be a Christian but rather a calvinist? I do not find that in the book of Acts.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Back in the 1970s, eschatology was a hot topic and dispensationalism was the rage. Since dispensationalism requires a literal reading of the appropriate scriptures, those who held other views were suspect. They were, welll, uh, liberals. And it was broadly hinted that if you weren't a literalist, therefore were liberal, you might not be saved.

Any suggestion that some of the end-time scriptures might be allegorical or symbolic immediately made your salvation suspect.

Now, not every dispy held that view, but it was there.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Take a look at their life now.

Remember how many of them interpreted so much of scripture allegorically. Some of them were heavily into spiritualizing the text of scripture. We have that among some on the BB too.

Anyone who has read C. H. McIntosh would easily see the spirtiualizing on the Pentateuch.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please elaborate. Although GCC does not have Baptist in the name it certainly is Baptistic.

You have the habit of making assertions without citing relevant information.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

And you won't. My reply was tongue-in-cheek.

Partly.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read the biography at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._MacArthur

He pastors a non-denominational church. His church is not a Baptist church and does not teach what Baptists have taught for four hundred years but rather MacArthur is dispensational which was the death of a career for a Baptist preacher at one time. He left his historical Baptist roots.

To say something is Baptistic means nothing. That can mean almost anything all the way from legalistic and knowing nothing about what the Bible teaches to being rather liberal and accepting little of what scripture teaches and advancing the kingdom through social gospel.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Hardly. Although I don't doubt that many Calvinists are Christians, they certainly didn't get their Calvinistic beliefs from Jesus Christ!

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you mean those in that liberal denomination today?

20. OldRegular

I should have used doctrines instead of practices. Unfortunately you are correct.

Thanks for your explanation of the use of the passages from Ephesians. I had missed the earlier post by revmitchell [#20].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.