1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question about Noah...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

12strings,

Good question. The first better represents my view, but please allow me to clarify. Paul was saved by grace through faith, just like us. The difference was that God used much more convincing means to bring him to faith and repentance than He does with most of us. That is part of the reason he has Apostolic Authority. He learned directly from Christ.

Paul, on his own, was rebellious and if left to his will he would have kept killing Christians. He was self-hardened and blind to the truth. God appointed him to be an apostle, not because of anything good in him, but according to his own mercy...just as he chose Jacob over Esau. But Paul's next door neighbor, also a Pharisee Christian killer, was left in his rebellion and blinded from the truth. He was used for an "ignoble purpose," he was "cut off from the tree" and he "had stumbled," but not beyond recovery. (Rm 11:11) In fact, due to Paul's ministry to the Gentiles he might be provoked to envy and saved. (v. 14).

Jonah is another good example of God using overwhelming means to change a messengers will in order to accomplish a redemptive purpose. But, consider this question: Is proof that God intervened to change Jonah's will through those outward 'normative' means (boat, storm, fish), also proof that God somehow inwardly, secretly, and supernaturally worked in the hearts of a select number of Ninevites to change their wills so that they would certainly believe his message?

That doesn't make much since to me. If God works that way, why didn't he just use his supernatural inward 'trick' to make Jonah's will change? God works through outward/normative means to provoke and change men's will, some more convincingly than others because when it comes to delivery of his message He can and does use effectual means...but even those appear to be outward/normative rather than secret/inward.

Make sense?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

This sound very similar to that pseudo-calvinist I quoted in another thread who believed God elected some to irrisitable salvation, and left the non-elect with the gospel message only, and that some of them may come to christ also, but the Elect surely will.

No, it is not proof.

I don't think a calvinist necessarily has to divorce the outward/normative means from the inward. they would say they are all working together. So in Paul's case, there was both an outward blinding light and voice, and an inward working of the H.S. God uses means to accomplish what he has designed to do.

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You have to remember that Arminius was a "Calvinist" who respected John Calvin. He simply tweaked some of the points he believed to be in error, so I suspect He would sound a lot like a 'Calvinist' in many respects.

Some are very careful not to...but I've heard some argue that someone may be regenerated a long time before hearing the gospel and coming to faith. And even those who put them together seem to be still placing the power in the inward/secret working rather than in the gospel itself. I think truth, especially truth inspired and sent by God to man, is powerful and has an inward effect. There is nothing secret about it. The truth shall set you free, unless of course you trade it in for a lie.

Jesus said, the words I speak to you are spirit and life. I think we can undermine that truth when we presume his words must be accompanied by the spirit in order for them to have life. Words have power, not because we say them, but because HE inspired them, persevered them, and sends them through HS indwelled messengers into every part of the earth.

And honestly, I don't take a hard stance against this view. I do disagree that it is "irresistible," but if someone wants to say the spirit is working in conjunction with the word, I don't try to dispute that because the result is the same for the most part. Now, if they say the word of God can be read/preached by not have power, I'll take issue with them, because the scripture CLEARLY says it NEVER returns void and that it ALWAYS accomplishes its purpose.

So, if a preacher preaches the gospel to a crowd and no one is saved I would never say something like...well the spirit didn't work. If the gospel was preached, the Spirit was at work because the preaching of the gospel IS A WORK OF THE SPIRIT! We can't know what impact his word is having on the hearts of man, so who are we to conclude when He is or isn't at work? See what I mean?

Ok. But it appears to me the spirit indwells a man through faith according to scripture, so we may just disagree as to the order of events in this regard. We agree that all are involved, but just may differ on the effectuality and order of the Spirits working.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Seems that it ALL comes back to how we view effect of the fall to all of us, as your theology tends to see it as 'warping/marring" while ours tend to send it 'destroying/killing" us off!

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I propose we remove posting privileges from those that are unwilling to use the quote feature properly.

Here's a clue JesusFan, if your responses end up in the big grey box, you are doing it wrong.

6. JesusFan

thanks for the help!

What did you think about what was posted though?

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I don't know. That's the problem. When you don't post things properly it makes it tough for people to read what you are saying.

8. JesusFan

guess I am in good company, as even the Apostle paul was experiencing people "having trouble" reading and understanding him!

#28 JesusFan, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
  9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Boy, wasn't Noah lucky?

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it humorous that Scandal classifies Jonah's and Paul's experiences as "normative." I can just hear the Ninevites:
    First Ninevite: Hey, did you hear about that guy that was vomited out onto the beach by a big fish?

Second Ninevite: Just arrive on earth, did you? That's almost as unusual than the flea I found on my dog!
    First, Jonah's will was not changed. He did not willingly go to Ninevah. He was carried there quite against his will. He was coerced to preach, and was bitter and depressed over Ninevah's repentance. There was no change in Jonah's heart.

Second, no man can say Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Ghost, and that isn't an outward, natural or visible work. It is supernatural, and invisible, but it is not secret, as libelously asserted by Scandal.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The implicaton here is that Noah was chosen on the basis of some good he had done. And that is the great blasphemy of noncalvinistic thought. Some will deny it, but it doesn't change the fact that if Calvinism is not the Gospel, then men are chosen based upon their own good and favorable responses to the revelations of God, either through nature or otherwise.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The implication in scripture is that there was a "reason" other than some mysterious decree, connected to Noah finding favor in God's eyes. It follows that line that you seem to stop with:

"Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time and he walked with God. Why did Noah walk with God? Had he be regenerated?

You so love to toss around the allegations of blasphemy and its cousin heresy.

13. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't go as far as "Calvinism is the Gospel" (although I get what you mean here) but the fact is that if God, Himself alone, does not choose some, the whole entire race would be lost.

Those who embrace conditioned election/grace (chosen based upon ANYTHING other than God choosing alone) are teaching another Gospel altogether.

This truth is taught throughout Scripture (that God alone chooses/elects) . It is then an eternal truth.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

God does nothing based on randomness. You portray God as an evolutionist--something many Calvinist do--a God of randomness. He did not randomly choose Noah. There was a reason--purpose in what he did.

And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (Genesis 6:5)
    --This describes the condition of the world at that time. However there was an exception.

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. (Genesis 6:8)
    --Apparently Noah was not included in the general description given in verse five. He was a preacher of righteousness; a man who found grace in the sight of the Lord.

By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. (Hebrews 11:7)
    --He was a man of faith, an heir of righteousness.

And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; (2 Peter 2:5)
    --In contrast to the others, Noah was Godly. God spared him.

15. JesusFan

Curious to just WHERE in the NT that Skan and others here see 'corporate election" by God, that God chose the "plan" to have those saved to be added into Body of Christ...

Jesus said that His Father gave Him "people" not "plans"

paul was called individually, as were ALL of the Apostles...

again, where did this Corporate election come from?

Also, where did God EVER say He was basing His responses to save us by how odedient/acted good etc?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What saved Noah?
    It was the Ark (a type of Christ). All (corporately) who were in the Ark, were saved. All who were outside of the Ark perished.

17. preacher4truth

You call it random. God calls it predestination, and His plan and His purposes. It only looks random to you as you are in utter fallacy theologically.

Thus, you portray God in error. Me? According to the Scriptures.

No need for your evolutionist drivel. It's not in the context here and is inflammatory nonsense. In other words? That's right: a strawman.

You're wrong yet again.

18. preacher4truth

They didn't get it from the Scriptures.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You really believe it was a random choice. I pity you--the theological outlook you have.

Was it also a random choice here?

And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him. (Genesis 5:22-24)

20. preacher4truth

You're still incorrect. You're the one who calls His plan random. He doesn't call it that. You do.

Also, there is not a thing about the ambigous relationship of God and Enoch that suggests it was random. That's just a false non-theological unscriptural term you've used to label what the Word of God calls election. Obviously it was God who has Himself chosen all of His people. This is dogma, and applies here as well. It also dismantles your proof-text and feeble theology.

That you don't like it doesn't do a thing to this truth of Scripture.

#40 preacher4truth, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.