1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question for Calvinists...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jcjordan, May 26, 2009.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Rippon, did you purposely misunderstand me? I wasn't speaking of the volume of heavenly beings but the various types of heavenly beings. Of those we are only told of just few different types.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll take that as a compliment and say :"Thanks SN." I appreciate your post and look forward to future postings even if I might disagree with some of your positions.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just going by what you have posted. In your post numbered 11 you said:"It says nothing about what existed before us, except God and just a few of the beings that existed with Him."

In your #14 you stated:"But the Bible tells us only about a select few."

Based on the above information I thought you were denying the myraids upon myraids of angels.

You could have said 'categories of beings' to have been clearer. However, I am glad that we both agree that the number of heavenly beings is quite vast.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where are you getting these notions from? Do you think God created the heavenly beings when he created the earth?! Do you believe that there was another seven day period before the earthly seven day period began?!

God did not create evil -- the thought itself is reprehensible.

I actually thought of that in my post directed toward you. It is a bit of a conundrum isn't it?

#24 Rippon, May 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
  5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks. I agree.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is not understood by the Greek philosophical mindset of today but to the Jew of the day it was good theology and well understood.

Again I ask, if you make that claim then how would you interpret

1Sam 16:15, 16, “Saul's servants then said to him, "Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. "Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well.”

1 Sam 18:10, “Now it came about on the next day that an evil spirit from God came mightily upon Saul, and he raved in the midst of the house, while David was playing the harp with his hand, as usual; and a spear was in Saul's hand.”

1 Sam 19:9, “Now there was an evil spirit from the Lord on Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand, and David was playing the harp with his hand.”

Scripture must be interpreted in light of its historical context. Just because someone does not understand the passage or its historical context does not negate the truth of God. Just because the study of scripture does not fit into one's pet theology or former understanding does not mean it is somehow wrong.

I see no value in talking our opinion. We must derive our theology from scripture and interpret scripture in light of its historical context. I do not believe that you understand how the Jews saw the world and their philosophical mindset. Otherwise I think you would easily see that there is not so much of a difference as you think. The problem lies in trying to convey a Jewish understanding of God to someone who cannot or refuses to think the way the Jews did.

7. menageriekeeper

No actually, I don't. I can find nothing that would suggest that God created anything other than our physical universe(earth, critters, plants, planets, stars etc) during the 7 days of creation.

You are welcome to enlighten me if you have scriptural support to the contrary.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't have put :"?!" at the end of my question if I believed that, now would I?

9. menageriekeeper

LOL Rippon, you and I are having some communications problems at the moment. I hope we get better!!