1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A question for my fellow Calvinists

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I define a high Calvinist as a consistent Calvinist, a low Calvinist as a Calvinist who does not acknowledge the logical conclusion of his position :Biggrin .

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, just to make sure I understand you, I asked, "Take the handful of Calvinists on the BB that you think are troublemakers out of the equation. There are quite a few Calvinists on the board. How does that affect your opinion of the remaining Calvinists? Would you feel comfortable putting your arm around their shoulder and calling them brother?" Your answer was "No." You are not willing to put your arm around the shoulder (figurately speaking) and calling "brother" those Calvinists you do not consider to be part of the troublemakers on the board. Am I reading you correctly?

As far and 4 and 3 point Calvinists, well, you and I both know how the term is commonly used. Soteriologically it has always stood for the 5 points of T.U.L.I.P. Synergism has never been part of Calvinistic soteriology. Dispensationalism? Premillennialism? Normative worship? Calvinism does not address those things because they are not strictly soteriological, so a Calvinist can believe those things. I am going to stand with the brand of Calvinism that is ubiquitous with T.U.L.I.P.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I understand. I am not taking issue with you. I just do not like dividing the term. One is either a Calvinist that accepts all 5 points of T.U.L.I.P or one is not. I do not even believe in Hyper Calvinists. So-called Hyper Calvinists are professing Christians who are in error. Of course, this is just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Calvinist. Take away the "cultish" ones here and my opinion of the remainder is that they are brothers. I would gladly put my arm around them jest as I would my non-Calvinistic brothers as we would be united in Christ (even if we disagree in other issues).

My issue is not Calvinism (a view I hold) but unChristian behavior.

I will not put my figurative arm around the problematic pups except to draw them in...this cannot be done if the pups are unwilling to embrace a Christ-like attitude in dealing with those who oppose their view.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But one can accept the points and deny the implications.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why I asked you to clarify your comments from post #57. Thank you for doing so.

Well, if I understand them correctly, those pups kind of feel the same way about you. I do not have any constructive ideas in that area except for peaceful separation for the time being.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody can profess anything and not be true to that profession. I am not concerned with those who do that. As Christians, we should be honest with one another.

Colossians 3:8-10 8 But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, 10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him--

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The dealing with the implications defines the classification.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure who you are speaking of (that you know how they feel about traditional Calvinists).

My response was to the OP. I am a Calvinist who prefers the title "Christian" to distinguish myself from the "cultish" pups (the immature, unChrist-like).

I do believe the godly are to separate from them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...who, even though a mess, might very well still be your brothers and sisters, even though they, through the Spirit, haven't yet fully gotten a "handle" on that wicked flesh ( Romans 7:14-25, Galatians 5:13-26 ).

I'm finding that the hardest parts about being one of God's children, are both waiting on the Lord and being patient with my brothers and sisters...especially the younger ones in the faith.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I
    I often don't have the patience I should with these types. They just do so much damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we need to realize that Calvinism is pure logic with a true starting point. And the most wicked can speak the truth and write volumes using it. But those with a heart of love will speak it in love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. akajohndoe

akajohndoe New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen that on the "Arminian", "Wesleyan" side as well...and experienced it first-hand.
    I've also seen it from the "Traditionalist" side, but not quite as much.
    Check YouTube comment sections...they are very enlightening.

I've also experienced it, first-hand, from several "Traditionalists"...and one of them was a prior member of this board.
    He lives in Israel.

So, I find that it's not limited to one or the other, but there are groups on all sides of it that act both ungodly, and godly in their demeanor.

I can understand why you might feel that way.
    I have my "hot buttons" and things that grieve me, as well.

As for "Calvinism" versus Jesus Christ...to me, He comes first, doctrine a close second.
    But they are also inseparable.. as who He is to me, is Who His word defines Him as.

After all of it I'd say, do your best to obey the Lord and His commands, and rest in Him and His promises.
    It will all come out "in the wash".

#74 Dave G, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize this may be hard to swallow, but ultimately, it doesn't matter whether we find it difficult.
    We are still commanded to bear one anothers' burdens and put up with the unruly...even though we may have to separate from them at times in discipline.

Rebuking, even though unpopular, has its place.
    Despite their behavior, we admonish them to obey the Lord, and leave it to Him.

The damage is reparable, too, in the long run.
    Grace is an amazing thing.

What I'm finding, though, is that "the buck stops with me".
    The easy part is to get angry...trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

The hard part is what I mentioned in post #70.
    Sometimes it's very hard, and I fail miserably at times.

#75 Dave G, Jul 14, 2019
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To a degree I agree. But at the same time we are to judge fruit and act accordingly. We are not to tolerate ungodlyness among the breathern.

Within an online forum it is different. We deal with behavior, not discipleship. We are not a church. Here members should be able to discuss their views without other people ganging up on them or trying to shut them down. And no one has the right to tell another person what that other person believes. This is a Christian forum.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon,
    I realize that being on a public forum is different than being among a local body of believers.
    But I find it difficult separating one from the other.

Yes, the reality is that there are many professing Christians on this site... and within the membership, there are vastly differing beliefs, in some cases.
    So, an accommodation has been made to deal with the reality of it all, and results in a "ecumenical" approach.

While I might not agree with it, and I don't agree with the views of most here, I also recognize that if discipline is to be maintained, it might very well be good to bring in some of the type that is directed at the local assemblies...in a general fashion.
    I've seen that suspension and banning for bad behavior is a regular occurrence, and that is good...it introduces consequences for such.

But I also think that if a few more things that applied to the local assemblies were instituted, you might see some of the trouble makers either toe the line, or stop posting altogether.
    You want more control over bad behavior?
    The Bible has the answer for addressing the "flesh" and it's tendency to get carried away.

My opinion, of course.;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing stands out in my working years is the harsh treatment of employees from Arminian, Baptist Arminian and Lutheran business owners. None of my bosses were Calvinists so I can't compare. But I think Calvinist "bad boys" are a far stretch better than these.

#78 1689Dave, Jul 14, 2019
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think as a board we have to look after the board as a whole. As such, I do not see much room for groups attacking or trying to silence others regardless of theological positions.

But in regards to the OP, one of the reasons I do not advertise the label "Calvinist" because I simply do not want to be lumped in with any of these Atnifa-like groups. Is this fair? No, they are a minority. But they are often the most vocal.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, after we move past all the threads about unchristian-like behavior, we are back to the reason(s) why some soteriological Calvinists reject the term. @JonC and @Dave Gilbert have articulated why they do not appropriate the term. I feel confident that others like @Iconoclast and @SovereignGrace are fine with the term, as am I. Calvinism (a.k.a. the doctrines of grace) have been a blessing to me. It changed how I view grace, God's sovereignty, and God's holiness. It also exposed how ugly the sin in my life really is. So, while I do not advertise my Calvinism, I do embrace the truth it points to in the Word of God.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.