1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, May 18, 2014.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very cool!
    Shogi has some other differences from both Chinese and international chess. In Shogi you have two extra pieces, Gold and Silver, which move similarly to the king except that Gold can't move diagonally back and Silver can't move straight back or to the sides. You have two rooks, but one can only move straight. There is no queen and only one bishop. There is a knight but it can only move forward. All of these promote when reaching enemy territory (3 rows), but usually only receive extra spaces to side, front and rear.

It's fun, but in the long run I prefer international chess.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not the one riding a high horse. I made no error, you did.

You did not understand the point of the thread, but later agreed with the OP.

You slandered me when you said I would not admit to a lack of knowledge concerning textual criticism. I never claimed any!

I did refer to the Byzantine textform as the Byzantine Priority, reflecting the idea of giving preference to that textform. I explained what I meant in post #8. You missed my idea completely, being blinded in your zeal to find fault.

Malice, sir, is no virtue.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And with this I've put Van on my "ignore" list. I'm sure that's better for both of us. :type:

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

JoJ, just as the kjv corrects the Hebrew, JKD corrects the Chun. Just kidding....I'm NOT a dual-inspiration type...just thought I'd use stupidity.

You mentioned a Matthew Bible? What is that?

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Majority Text translation is the English Majority Text Version by Paul Esposito, for which he used Hodges & Farstad, Robinson-Pierpont and Pickering's text. It's been reissued in paperback and is available in e-Bible modules.

Pickering's own translation of his text is at http://www.walkinhiscommandments.com/pickering1.htm. It includes extensive notes, including a defense of the Pericope Adulterae. It also excludes the Comma Johanneum.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks JOJ, I am sure this will cut down on the number of people who slander me with false and self serving charges. :)

7. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Slander is spoken. Libel is written. Just saying.....

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If JKD corrects the chun, then the little fish must swim upstream until the duck reviles him. (A meditation subject for JKDers.)
    I actually meant the book of Matthew in the World English Bible, which I was able to download free for my Kindle.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever admitted that you made a mistake on the BB? Have you ever humbled yourself and said that you were mistaken? I know I have numerous times. I don't think that you are Mr. Perfect. Others may concur with my view.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic attack, again claiming I lack humility or the integrity to admit my many mistakes. This is all they (Calvinists) have folks, ad homenims.

Back to the topic, the use by KJVO and KJVP folks of the claim they stick to the KJV because the underlying text (Byzantine) is superior to the Critical Text.

This argument is a smokescreen because if they really thought the Byzantine Text was superior, they would use the WEB. So their argument is one of convenience, to offset the many arguments demonstrating the TR is deeply flawed.

11. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Well, Van, you're the one who confused slander with libel.... If you owned up to that, then that would be great. I'm messing with you, Van. Smile. Laugh. Don't let other Baptists get you down. Now where you say all Calvinists have is ad hominem attacks really isn't true. That's not a fair statement. I'm not a Calvinist, but I know enough to know that certain of them are able to avoid ad hominem attacks in order to argue their theology.

I can say that I've yet to hear any KJVO person argue from a "Byzantine text type is best" viewpoint. I've always heard "the TR is best because it wasn't corrupted like the Alexandrian text was" line of...uhm.."reasoning" if we can call it that.

I go to a KJVO church. I hadn't heard of a Byzantine text until a few months ago in here and somebody mentioned the WEB...and I downloaded it. Van, I've just never heard it put on the table. Anyway, that's all I have to say. Have a great week.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Jkdbuck76, you can google KJVO and find it mentioned. I first came across the argument at a SBC in Tucson.

BTW, I use slander as used in the NT, which predates the distinction you point to to undercut the truth.

My statement is true as it refers simply to the arguments put forth on this forum. Many times someone will cut and paste arguments but no answer is forthcoming addressing the rebuttal. Many of the authors of these arguments lived years ago.

So if you are aware of any support for the TULI, by all means, present it. But it will be like the Calvinist claim for John 6:37, saying it says everyone drawn comes to Christ, i.e. the support will be based on word redefintion or addition (all men = all kinds of men).

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you listening Van?

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to know where to place remarks (i.e. errant theology)that don't fit on this forum.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JKDbuck76, would you agree that it is fair to say yet another ad homenim ("you need to know") devoid of any on topic content.

Returning to topic:

#75 Van, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still haven't proven that thesis. You're just throwing that out there. Did you take a personal poll in your area? Is there a survey you have come across?

No Van, your OP is bogus. Let's hear some testimonies from your "lots of folks."

17. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

The longer I stay here, the more I like Puritanboard. The infantile fighting here is too much. Every few years, I get my fill of BB and take a several month break. I think it is time for a break again.

#77 Jkdbuck76, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it is. BTW I am sure you did not mean that those who stand up for truth are infantile.

1) Was I slandered? Yes

2) Did you seek to deflect that truth using humor? Yes

3) Is Rippon a Calvinist? Yes

4) Put your thinking cap on and consider why an advocate for the Byzantine textform offers a disclaimer about not being a KJVO guy.

Game, set and match.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too bad they only accept Reformed over there to discuss theology with though!

20. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

No Van. You did not win.