1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A race well-run: Dr. Bob Kelly at home with the Lord

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by paidagogos, Nov 7, 2006.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Many of us have been disheartened by the scandals that have affected people in Christian leadership positions over the past months. What we must remember in such times is that many, many men have remained faithful and true. Dr. Bob Kelly, a nationally known pastor and preacher, recently went home to be with the Lord. His life and ministry was a God-honoring and faithful ministry that left a legacy of what ministry ought to be. Read the encouraging testimony of this man and his ministry at the following link: http://www.sharperiron.org/2006/11/06/a-life%e2%80%99s-message/#more-850

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard him once while at TTU. He was a good preacher.

Thanks for the link. Those 18 lessons ought to be a part of every preacher's thinking

The Greatest Lessons I Have Learned as a Preacher of the Gospel:
    1. Your best sermon is your family. Love your wife and teach your children to stay close.
    2. Empty wells produce dead cats and dry leaves—personal devotions are a must to prevent burn out and keep a fresh presence of the Lord.
    3. Love people as they are, rough edges and all, and never, ever give up on them.
    4. You do not get what you want in life and ministry; you get what you are—character matters.
    5. Never, ever lose your burden for souls.
    6. Guard your tongue.
    7. Learn to calculate what is worth making an issue—learn the difference between convictions and preferences.
    8. God called us to build people, not ministries or buildings.
    9. Make good friends.
    10. Have fun! Stay excited! Laugh! People ought to want your job!
    11. Die to self and don’t be all day in doing it! Rise early and get going!
    12. The best protection against falling into sin is to practice hating it.
    13. Count your blessings—then record them. Don’t rely on your memory to recall all of God’s goodness.
    14. Say “thank you” every time and every way you can. A thankful attitude covers a multitude of sins.
    15. Exercise your faith. A faith that cannot be tested is a faith that cannot be trusted.
    16. Keep your shoes shined; stay neat—first impressions matter.
    17. Never forget the Judgment Seat of Christ.
    18. Always remember—God can get along just fine without you.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

If only...this were true with all pastors....

Perhaps the church at large would be respected as it once was.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Kelley was my pastor at Franklin Road Baptist in Murfreesboro, TN, from right out of college until he moved to SC. He was a tremendous encouragement to a young preacher, and there's a chance I wouldn't be on the field if it weren't for him.

Bob Kelley was the real deal. He was a football player when younger, and you could tell--big, gruff, strong. He lived every one of the principles listed by Tom. There was nothing fake or hidden about him. What you saw was what you got.

And boy could he preach! We called him "Machine-gun Kelley" for his rapid delivery once he got going. Every message had great Biblical content. And boy could he sing!

His family turned out wonderfully. Mrs. Kelley is a true gem. Their three girls formed a trio and could sing like angels: Star, Day, Dawn.

We've lost a great preacher.:saint:

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Christ-like examples

John, I'm glad that you responded. Too often, we only hear about the men who failed in some aspect and it can be discouraging for the younger preachers. I only knew Bro. Kelley in his later years but he was eveything you said. It is refreshing and encouraging to hear stories of his earlier ministry. Perhaps there are others who can share how their lives were blessed by Bro. Kelley's ministry. We ought to focus more on the postive and the men who were faithful to the end.

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

My wife and I heard him preach at a Bible Conference about 20 years ago at Fairhaven Baptist Church in Chesterton Indiana. We were really impressed to say the least and the message he preached sticks in my mind to this day. It was on the family alter.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I remember Bro. Kelly preaching in chapel at TTU on the wise and foolish virgins. It was one of those messages that sticks with you. What a great man of God.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Any links to a message of his? I would love to hear him preach.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist