1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Rebuttal To Credited Faith

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Aug 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation Only by God’s Grace Since man is totally depraved it necessarily follows that if ever he is to be saved it can be only by divine grace and power. Grace is a truth which is peculiar to divine revelation. It is a concept to which the unaided powers of the human mind can never stretch. Proof of that is found in the fact that where the Bible has not gone it is quite unknown. But grace is not only taught in God’s Word; it is given great prominence there. Holy Writ declares that salvation is by grace from first to last: it issued from grace, it is received by grace, it is maintained by grace, it is perfected by grace. Divine grace is bestowed on those who have no merits, and from whom no recompense is demanded. More than that, it is given to those who are full of demerit and blame. How thoroughly grace sets aside every thought of worthiness in its object is evident from a single quotation: "Being justified freely by his grace" (Rom. 3:24). The Greek word is even more impressive and emphatic, and might be rendered "gratuitously," "for nothing." The same term is translated "for nought" in II Thessalonians 3:8, and "without a cause" in John 15:25. There is nothing whatever in the beneficiary to make it attractive, but rather everything to make it repulsive. "None eye pitied thee... to have compassion upon thee... When I passed by thee and saw thee polluted in thy blood, I said unto thee..., Live" (Ezek. 16:5-6). Divine grace is the sinners only hope, for it is not searching for good men whom it may approve, but for the guilty and lost whom it may save. It comes not to those who have done their best and are quite presentable, but rather to those who have done their worst and are in rags and tatters. Grace ever draws near to the sinner with his condition fully exposed. Grace recognizes no distinctions either social or moral: the chaste virgin is on the same level as the confirmed harlot, the religious moralist with the wildest profligate. Grace is God’s provision for those who are so corrupt that they cannot help their conduct, so averse to God that they cannot turn to Him, so dead that He must open their graves and bring them onto resurrection ground. Unless men are saved by grace they cannot be saved at all. It is equally true that the salvation of sinners must be by divine power. Their ignorance and insensibility are irremovable by any human means. Nothing but God’s might can dispel the darkness from their minds, take away their hearts of stone or free their sin-enslaved wills. All the faculties of the natural man are opposed to the offers and operations of divine grace until divine power saves him from himself. None ever turned to God except God turned him... From the publication by A.W. Pink... The Total Depravity Of Man... Those who want read it in its entirety can find it here https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/pink/The Total Depravity of Man - A. W. Pink.pdf... Brother Glen:)

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is no scripture says we are totally depraved or dead like a corps. In fact corps can neither respond to the gospel nor refuse to respond to the gospel. The reformed view takes spiritual death analogy too far and it causes all kinds of tensions they cannot really defend.

3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith is not a meritorious act but it is something that God requires before He will save one.

Agreed, just as the bible says we are all sinners and only God can save.

Pink was doing ok, until the wheels came of his wagon. Then he started to add Calvinism to the mix. When he started to turn from the bible to his philosophy he lost his way.

But then he changed tack again back to the bible.

That did not last long though, again his philosophy won out over the bible. Once again Calvinism came to the fore.

4. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ephesians 2:1. “We are dead ……”

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free-will theology denies The Scriptures, such as Ephesians 2:1. They don't believe that Adam and his descendants died spiritually when Adam transgressed in the Garden of Eden. They follow after the false teaching that Adam and his descendants merely bruised their shin or stubbed their toe or broke their arm. I understand their predicament having spent many decades of my life under the teaching of Pelagianism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did nothing to be contrary to that. That does not automatically mean dead like a corps.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Umm if you are trying to lump me in with that mess you just spouted out then I can say you do not understand my position.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your free will theology definition of "dead" since you evidently do not believe what the Bible says about being "dead in trespasses and sins"?.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I understand your false gospel well enough, sir.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it you just have it wrong. Dead not like lazerus but dead like the prodigal.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not if you are going to characterize my position like that.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is you, sir, that is badly in error. The whole story of Lazarus was recorded as a picture of salvation.

"he cried with a loud voice; not on account of the dead, but for the sake of those around him, that all might hear and observe; and chiefly to show his majesty, power and authority, and that what he did was open and above board, and not done by any secret, superstitious, and magical whisper; and as an emblem of the voice and power of his Gospel in quickening dead sinners"

- from John Gill's Bible commentary on John 11:43

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do. You believe that man can contribute, no matter how small a part, to his being saved. That alone condemns your position.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh no, it was a picture of the power of God and just who Jesus is. No where does it say it was a picture of salvation.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My believing is not contributing. That is your claim not mine. You are arguing against a straw man.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you not stated that believing precedes regeneration?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And those two are not the same thing.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What two are not the same thing?

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believing that believing precedes regeneration is not the same thing as contributing to my salvation. You will not find that in scripture anywhere. What you do find is that God gave us a responsibility to respond and has enabled us through His word.Romans 1:16, Romans 10:17

20. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

dead means that we are unable to do anything. Why does it not mean a corpse?

paul is definitely saying that dead means dead, not mostly dead.

please define dead according to you opinion?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.