1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Tale of Two Faiths

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Protestant, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

We've showed you, but you must use braille...

2. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Your ‘free will’ doctrinal theory could be substantive had the Scriptures started with this narrative in Genesis.

However, from the crucial perspective of reality as related in the Garden of Eden any unbiased reader of God’s Word soon realizes that the one man created upright willfully chose to do that which was evil in the sight of the Lord.

By claiming men now have in their power the will to do that which is pleasing to God is to deny the fundamental Christian doctrine of ‘inherent original sin’ inherited from Adam, our forefather.

This is the doctrine of Pelagius, an arch enemy of the faith.

Our erstwhile brother, Winman, was also steeped in this heresy, may God rest his soul.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil thou shalt not eat thereof; for in the day thou eatest theeof thou shalt surely die.
    Eve ate. She gave to Adam. Adam also ate.
    The realized their sin. They were naked and ashamed and hid themselves.
    God sought them out.
    Then what happened?

Recognize: "In the day thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die.
    They had died. They were dead (spiritually).
    And yet God seeks them out, does not regenerate them, or restore them to fellowship immediately, but does speak to them and carries an audible conversation on with this "dead man" that we call Adam.
    How does a "dead man" converse with God?
    This is the question that Calvinists must answer.

God did not provide a sacrifice for them until some time later when he provided coats of skin, killing the first animal and shedding blood. But up until that time He carries on a conversation with this dead man.
    It is evident that Calvinism is wrong. According to Calvinism this cannot happen. Adam is dead. It is impossible for him to speak to God.
    And yet you say???

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Oh come now! You never answered the scripture I gave you.

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dead on :thumbsup:

6. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is absolutely nothing of substance here. You completely ignored any of the text and grammar of 1 Kings 19.

The Archangel

7. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they do... But why do you ignore what they say in, for example, 1 Kings 19:18 and John 3:3?

The Archangel

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

God spoke to Satan, and he's as spiritually dead as anyone will ever be. Just because God speaks to someone, doesn't mean it's in a saving manner. He also conversed with Cain. I know of no sacrifice made on his behalf, but He still spoke with Cain.

God's voice is so powerful, that even the dead of centuries ago will hear and respond to Him calling them from their graves.

When we speak to the unregenerate in preaching and/or witnessing, it goes in one ear and out the other. When God speaks, they WILL hear...

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

[​IMG]

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Unless I'd say "amen" , you'd brush it aside like every other sound biblical doctrine...

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That has been my point all along. Your definition of dead in Eph.2:1 is wrong. It does not mean lifeless corpse as you define it. It simply means separated from God--spiritually. Therefore God is still able to speak to them.
    Satan, Cain, Adam, God spoke to them all thought they were separated from God or spiritually dead. It destroys some of the most important of Calvinistic teachings.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

No....He is saying to real christians who are positionally perfect in heaven, to live accordingly here on earth.
    He is described that way because he is dead indeed unto sin.
    By law keeping.

still by law keeping.
    Wrong...Paul declares real Christians are dead to sin.

Wrong again...we are dead to sins reigning power right now.If you are not you are not yet a Chrisitian.
    The reason you cannot understand is you are conflating the issues. A biblical Christian is set free from sins bondage. He does not have to sin by practice as he once did. He still has to deal with remaining sin, but he is now empowered to mortify sin by the Spirit.

You deny this. You deny the Spirits unseen work in regeneration. In fact you do not understand biblical salvation or sanctification.

Yes and everywhere in verses 1-10 the language was aorist tense...completed action by God....

A biblical Christian is dead indeed unto sin...he is to reckon it to be so in his actions, in other words...live like who you are. Anything less is a denial of the Spirits work in sanctification.
    No...wrong....in reference to this discussion...those In Christ have been co-crucified with and In Him. We have died and risen In Him.

self denial is not what Romans 6 is about...you are confusing the issues.

This is not biblical at all. You have a wounded Adam, and now a zombie kind of christian....your theology is not biblical but opposes directly the biblical teaching.

The aorist tense teaches differently. You have had this explained to you several times So now you are not just mistaken ,but teaching wilful falsehoods.

And constantly you error by teaching this. He is dead indeed unto the power of sin to reign over him.He no longer has to obey sin.

yes

When the Spirit quickens a sinner to life and performs heart transplant surgery...that is a completed action at one point in time.
    That sinner then deals with remaining sin and corruption by mortification of sin .:thumbs:

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And you have been shown over and over what the Spirit had them write...you deny the truth.You have not destroyed anything , but your error makes Cal teaching shine through:wavey::wavey:

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

It doesn't destroy Calvinism it the least. It's your lack of truly understanding what Calvinism is.

Man is spiritually dead and can not respond to God UNLESS He first speaks to them. Man's will, man's desire is bent away from desiring God and loving self. Man left to his own devices will never seek God. That desire just isn't there, it's not innate, neither is his faith. Unless God intercedes on their behalf, they'll die(rightfully) in their sins.

When God speaks, whether in a saving manner as His drawing them, or speaking to Adam, Eve, Cain, Satan, et al, they WILL hear.

When God draws, they WILL come...

#74 convicted1, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::wavey::wavey::thumbs:

16. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

You conveniently omitted key points in the historical record.

1. Man has an enemy who is smarter, stronger and more cunning than can be imagined.

Your ‘free will’ theory will vanish in the dust if you ever come to believe the overwhelming power Satan exerts over the weakling, naïve, sin loving unregenerate as testified in Scripture.

You deny the doctrine of Satan’s immensely cruel and wicked dominion over mankind.

Thus, you are his advocate.

Satan approves your advocacy and will reward you well for it.

2. Man does not seek out God. He runs from His holiness and righteousness.

Thus, man is not ‘free’ to embrace the Lord. Seeking the Lord runs contrary to man’s fallen nature.

3. Man instinctively seeks other ways to ‘atone’ for his sin. The true Jesus Christ is not one of them. Adam attempted to cover his sin by using his own willful ingenuity.

The Lord first stripped them of their false religion.

This He does with all the Elect.

He then shed the blood of His lamb and covered them with its skin by His own hands.

Neither Adam nor Eve contributed one thing to their salvation.

Likewise men post-fall do not contribute one thing to their salvation, including the good use of their ‘free will.’

‘Free will’ is an evil fiction which glorifies man as a god, and profanes the glorious all-sufficient work of the true God in our salvation.

4. By asking the rhetorical question, Adam, Where are you?, the Lord is signifying that all mankind in Adam are lost.

The profound inference of this question lies in the fact that unless the Lord brings that divine truth to the attentive regenerated ear of the sinner, he will continue in his lostness, totally oblivious as to his condition before God, ever deluded that a condemning judgment is not in his future.

Hath God said ye are dead in your sins and trespasses? Surely you are only ‘separated’ from Him.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

From whence comes this babble?
    You have no Scripture, no message, so you--like others, attack the messenger. I don't see any scripture quoted, but I do see a lot of personal attacks.
    --telling me: I am Satan's advocate, and other such foolish accusations.
    Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
    Ezra 6:21 And the children of Israel, which were come again out of captivity, and all such as had separated themselves unto them from the filthiness of the heathen of the land, to seek the LORD God of Israel, did eat,
    Psalms 40:16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified.
    Psalms 105:4 Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore.

Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
    Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

Does God command his creature to do those things that are impossible for them to do. I realize that Calvinism teaches that wickedness also found in the doctrine of reprobation, but that is what I label it--a wicked doctrine that brings libel on the character of a God of love.
    According to Calvin, not the Bible.
    The Bible commands the unsaved man to "Seek God," to Repent," etc.
    God is not so cruel as to command his creation to do those things which are impossible for them to do.
    And yet God still spoke to him and he still spoke to God, thus your vain philosophies are proven wrong.
    Are you inferring that Calvin's "elect" are a "false religion"? :D
    I don't know of anyone here that said anything to the contrary. Are you suggesting that some do?
    "Faith" is not a work. Apparently you have forsaken any belief you ever may have had in sola fide.
    Really? Then tell me this. If only the elect are saved (and that of course is true), and only by the grace of God and the grace of God ALONE, then how can you be sure that you are one of the elect?

Allegories mean little to me, especially coming from you. One can make the Bible say anything they want. He was wooing Adam to come back to fellowship with Him. Adam was part of his creation. After he finished, he looked and said: "it was very good."
    Adam was only separated from God. You simply have a philosophy with no Biblical basis. He needed to be reconciled back to God which the Lord did by offering a sacrifice. The initiated; Adam answered.

The same was true with Cain. The Lord spoke; Cain answered.
    Cain was able to answer the Lord even though he was and remained unregenerate.
    God has given to all mankind a command: "Seek ye the Lord while he may be found."

And another:
    Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
    --This command is given to idolatrous Athenians.
    But the Calvinist says that Paul is foolishly commanding the Athenians to do something that they cannot possibly do.
    They don't believe what the Scriptures say. Pity.

18. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminian Paul Goes to Damascus just for convicted1

Acts 9
    One day Saul-Paul was taking some Christians to Damascus for lion snacks. It was clear out, the sky was a bright blue, and the temperatures were wonderful. He felt so good he started singing "Onward Christian Prisoners, Marching as to Syria." Paul wondered aloud if Christ is indeed risen, why does not He help my prisoners. All day there was no sign of the Risen Christ.

About noon, Paul started feeling guilty. One of the kids being transported fell ill, and the mother begged for mercy. Paul reached down into the depths of his inner being and finally realized, that he was not treating these people correct. Finally he concluded that maybe there is something to this Risen Christ thing, if these people are so dedicated to him they will face death. He thought "maybe I am wrong." His guilt continued to grow, until finally he got on his knees and prayed, "Lord, I am so thankful I finally realized that I am a sinner for treating these people like this. Thank you for not allowing me to be like the other Pharisees and continue to sin. I have decided to get saved today." At that point he let all the prisoners go. Proud at what he had accomplished, he thought, what a zipadee do dah day. Think I will skip to my lou back to Jerusalem.

End Chapter 9

19. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The logical conclusion of your point here is that man could possibly save himself by keeping all if the law. Since you said that God would not command his creation to do something they were not able to do then it just stands to reason that it is possible for someone to keep all off the commandments that He gave.
    Although that totally ignores the purpose of the Law which is to show us how sinful we really are. That we cannot keep it. So yes God does command us to do something we cannot do to point us to the Savior. And no that does not make Him cruel in the least.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I said nothing about keeping the law. Please quote me where I said anything about keeping the law.
    God requires all men to repent. That is not me, but God. If you have an argument with that command take it up with God.

Check John 3:16-18. We all are commanded to believe--to have faith in Christ in order to be saved. Repentance is the flip side of faith. Both faith and repentance work together. You can't have one without the other.

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."
    That is a command. Salvation is by faith. Over and over again we are shown how salvation is by faith.

There is not an ounce of evidence in the Bible that God, before the foundation of the world chose a select group of people for salvation, and condemned the rest for an eternal destination of torment. That portrays a God of doing evil and not good; a God who is the author of evil.
    Over and over again the Bible declares that God is a God of mercy and shows mercy to all--saved and unsaved alike.
    Calvinism portrays God as One who shows no mercy to the unsaved. It is totally unbilblical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.