1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured About Pentecostals

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found a viedeo about the Pentecostals - but before I link the viedo, read this comment that I found on the page:
    "I attended Southwest Bible College (Moreno Valley, California), which was not officially associated, but was based out of the Assemblies of God. I'm Baptist, and going to Bible College with Assembly of God believers was a great experience. There was a lot of respect shown toward all evangelical positions on issues, but the profs would share why they held the view that they did. I am so thankful God led me there. In Baptist's stereotypes of Pentecostals, speaking in tongues is this huge deal, but it was hardly ever brought up (only in theology class, and only when we were specifically talking about that subject), but the biggest difference between myself and what the school believed that came up more regularly was that I believe in eternal security and most of them did not. But again, it was very respectful, and all scriptures that appear to support both positions were examined, and students were encouraged to believe what they thought scripture was saying. It made me look more deeply into my own belief on that, and come out even stronger. I'm still good friends with several people from there. I think it is healthy for Christians to step outside their own traditions sometimes and make other Bible-believing, Jesus-loving friends. These people enrich our lives greatly. I know the Pentecostal friends I made had seldom fellowshipped with a Baptist before meeting me, and their stereotype was that Baptists didn't believe in the Holy Spirit working in our lives at all today, so l was able to break those stereotypes as well."

Thoughts??

and here is the video

2. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Salty,

Since I’m Catholic my view may be perceived a little different. We have what we call the Charismatic Movement. We call them “Movements” because they are believed to be movements of the Holy Ghost in the church. Another movement is the Traditionalist Movement. I accept the Charismatic Movement because the Church says it’s authentic but I have not been a part of it. I don’t personally feel it is necessary and, in practice, I don’t care for it. I do read some of their books because they are so inspiring and they are usually filled with scripture. I live in the mid west and the Charismatic Movement is big up here. It started in the Detroit area in the 1960’s and it is big in Steubenville, Ohio where Franciscan University is. Probably the best known person who teaches there is Dr. Scott Hahn. I’ve been there and seen the effects of it. Regarding the Liturgy: There’s a lot of excitement but I don’t like big TV screens blaring music and showing the words of the songs at Mass. The Charismatics do this. I prefer just the opposite and wish we had the old Latin Mass everywhere! Lol The Latin Mass is almost total quiet. Regarding Practice of the Faith: When you pray they want you to put your hand on the shoulder of someone and pray those prayers of Command. Things like that. Also they change a lot of the theological language when they talk about the faith. I really don’t like that! Finally they want to speak in Tongues at Mass. I don’t think they do that as much any more and maybe they are not allowed to. I don’t know. They probably speak in Tongues after Mass. Maybe a Charismatic Catholic can give you a different point of view. You might find my reasons for not liking it amusing but for me I need inspiration like everybody else but I get it from the Old Time Religion! Lol

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my experience they are not respectful of other people who do not hold their view. If you are in a worship service with them and do not act like they they get offended and at times will call you out. They have little view of the Bible and depend more on a supernatural experience of God to sustain their faith.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've known Pentecostals and Baptist who do not respect the views of other believers. Aot of times this is due to stereotypes.

When we hear "Pentecostal" many think of emotional void of theological depth. We often do not think of scholars like Gordon Fee. And often some think of Baptists as emotionless, relying on intellectualism.

But in reality, most people do not fit the stereotypes assigned to the groups to which they belong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

We also as Baptists mist learn to make a distinction between old line Pentacostals, such as in AoG, and those among Charismatics who are into word of faith and health and wealth prosperity heresies, as that movement is holding to and teaching heresy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JesusFan

I went to AoG school. was a teaching AoG Elder in a local AoG, and would say that while totally disagree with their arminian salvation theology, and views on second act of grace as evidenced by tongues, were saved and had same God, but when you get into Charasmatics that teach WoF and Oneness for examples, they hold to another Jesus and gospel!

7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some, yes.
    Pentecostalism ranges from snake handling all the way to you cant tell them from Methodists.
    Depends on which "they" you run into.

8. JesusFan

A Lot depends if they are into heresy such as Wof!

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calling WOF heresy is a net wider than I am willing to throw. There are WOF preachers who go way beyond the actual doctrine. Some of their excesses and additions are heresy, but the old doctrine is not.

10. JesusFan

What is the old doctrine though, as all teachers and expounders of WoF hold to much heresy?

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is totally incompatible with Calvinism, but lines up quite well with Arminianism.
    God has a perfect and permissive will. What happens to us will be within that will but will be determined by our actions. The main determining action is our faith. Our faith is built and exercised by our spoken words and by our feeding on The Word of God.
    Many may disagree with that, but it's not heresy. There has been quite a bit of heresy piled on top of it, I readily admit.

12. JesusFan

I am not talking about Arminian salvation theology, but the heresies of WoF regarding things such as jesus, salvation, etc!

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are talking about modern additions by some to WOF doctrine.

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main Pentecostal distinctive is the belief the speaking in tongues is the essential evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

15. JesusFan

No, that is the heretical WoF received from Kenyon, and then "christianized" by likes of hagin, then passed unto Copeland, Hinn etc!

16. JesusFan

Yes, as the second act of grace is THE distinctive doctrine of theirs!

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They believe tongues to be the evidence.

18. JesusFan

Indeed, the only sign!

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying you must speak in tongues if you have been saved?

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying you must speak in tongues if you have been saved?