1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abraham Rejoiced To See My Day, Saw It And was Glad!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Apr 27, 2018.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

When did that occur?... Was it at the burning bush?

Was it when Abraham gave a tenth of his spoils to Melchizedek King Of Salem?

Was it when Abraham offered his Son Isaac and God already had a sacrifice prepared?

Or was it something else?... Comments... Brother Glen:)

2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw [it], and was glad.
    57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." ( John 8:56-58 )

"And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed." ( Galatians 3:8 )

" And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;" ( Genesis 26:4 )

" Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ." ( Galatians 3:16 )

See the pattern?;)

#2 Dave G, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 22:1-19

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this a trick question? …:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kentucky!... Would I ask a trick question?... Brother Glen;)

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

Abraham and the burning bush???

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, do you?

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed." ( Galatians 3:8 )

(Mat 3:9) And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I jumped the gun a bit on that one. I had to think about what I posted, as I came at it from a different direction...."seeds" and "Seed", and mixed in Isaac by mistake from Genesis 26, which really didn't stick precisely to the question.

Yes, I see that as well, thanks for the help. :oops:

I'll go ahead and state my opinion to the OP without trying to be leading: ;)

Abraham had the Gospel revealed to him ( saw Christ's day, which I underlined in the OP's original quote ) in Genesis:

" and I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed." ( Genesis 12:3 )

God's children out of every tongue, tribe and nation through Jesus Christ. His sheep are the "seed" of Abraham spiritually, while Jesus Christ is the "Seed" of Abraham through which the promises came as well as the seed of Abraham physically.

" And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
    18 seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?" ( Genesis 18:17-18 )

Again, all the nations shall be blessed in Abraham both as their spiritual "father" ( the father of us all, Romans 4:16 ) and Christ, with Abraham as His earthly, physical "father".

The burning bush was Moses, so Abraham wasn't physically there unless he's represented by Moses, like Levi was represented by Abraham in giving Melchizedek the tenth after the slaughter of the kings.

...and Abraham offering his son as a sacrifice...now that one I can see God mentioning the Gospel through a double prophecy:

" And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here [am] I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where [is] the lamb for a burnt offering?
    8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together."

The Lord Jesus wasn't a "burnt offering", but He is a consuming fire ( Deuteronomy 4:24, Hebrews 12:29 ).

I probably haven't covered it all, but...

Wow, that one makes a person think. :Biggrin

#8 Dave G, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops Kentucky... Man did I blow that one:eek:... Hey I'm three score ten and two... I guess I can claim that sometimes, I'm Braindicapped... Brother Glen:confused:

#9 tyndale1946, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps when Abraham believed the Lord and He credited it to him as righteousness.