1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abraham's sister

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Genesis Abraham told Sarah to tell Pharo that she was his sister not his wife- so the Egyptians would not kill him. ( well, she was his half sister)

Today, a parent does not want to talk to someone on the phone. So Dad instructs little Julie to say "I'm sorry, he is not available"

Would little Julie be lying?

2. Beth

Beth New Member

absolutely

Yes, Abraham lied to Pharoah.

J. Vernon McGee used to preach that we have a misunderstanding of people of faith...that the faithful certainly did indeed sin. Abraham sinned by lying to Pharo...interesting that this scenario is replayed by his son, Isaac.....by lying about his own wife Rebekah.

Genesis 26:6 ¶ And Isaac dwelt in Gerar:
    7 And the men of the place asked him of his wife; and he said, She is my sister: for he feared to say, She is my wife; lest, said he, the men of the place should kill me for Rebekah; because she was fair to look upon.
    8 And it came to pass, when he had been there a long time, that Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out at a window, and saw, and, behold, Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife.
    9 And Abimelech called Isaac, and said, Behold, of a surety she is thy wife: and how saidst thou, She is my sister? And Isaac said unto him, Because I said, Lest I die for her.
    10 And Abimelech said, What is this thou hast done unto us? one of the people might lightly have lien with thy wife, and thou shouldest have brought guiltiness upon us.
    11 And Abimelech charged all his people, saying, He that toucheth this man or his wife shall surely be put to death.
    12 ¶ Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him.

There are quite a few parallels between the two stories....what I do not understand is that in both situations, both Abraham and Isaac were blessed despite what they had done. Has anyone studied this topic?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

In the first question a parent has chosen to not be available - no lie there.

I have always felt badly for Abraham in a way. Can you imagine having the ruler of nation calling you out for your lie when you were supposed to be a testimony for the true and living God?

OUCH!!

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If you'll look closely, you'll see that the family life of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob bordered on the dysfunctional.

They were truly flawed people. Just as we are. How in the world did God carry out his plans with those guys and their children? Or with any of us?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

not available is not a lie. not here would be a lie.

6. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

Availability isn't really relative. If you're sitting there you are available- you just choose to not come to the phone. If you're working on something or doing something that requires your attention, you may well not be available.

So yes, saying that someone isn't available is a lie- just as Abraham lied about his wife. He shouldn't have done it, and neither should we. But, he is fallible, just as we prove when we tell someone we aren't available when, in honesty, we are.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

If a child is told that their parent is unavailable, they should believe the parent, and it isn't a lie. The parent might have something more pressing on his/her mind to address the call at that moment.