1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Accepting Jesus Christ

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Lovelight, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Lovelight

Lovelight New Member

In the Bible we are told that by faith we are saved through Jesus Christ, that if we believe on Him we shall never perish but have everlasting life. I totally believe this and have accepted Jesus as the Son of God, Lord and Savior.

However, on another board I saw someone propose the idea that it was wrong to ask Jesus into your heart because this was not taught in the Bible for salvation, but that salvation was simply through believing on Him and faith. Many of us all our lives have heard "ask Jesus into your heart". So what are your feelings on this? I interpret Revelation 3:20 as opening the door and letting Jesus into our heart. Am I wrong in that interpretation of the verse?

2. Servent

Servent Member

What board were you on was that person a J.W. or Mormom.

3. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Romans 10:9,10 are the closest to actually saying "take Jesus into your heart".
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine HEART that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    For with the HEART man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
    Those who make a big deal out of this particular wording of an invitation miss the point. God is dealing with HEARTS and that is what is important.

4. Elk

Elk New Member

Hello. I believe from what I have gathered over the years, is that people don't like the term "ask Jesus into your heart" because it does not appear to be in the Bible as a method of being saved. BUT...the thing here is that all of this stuff about those folks trying to scrutinize the "words" of the verses, and fight over them, and fight over a "translation" even, is all so sad. What is important, as you are concerned, is being a child of God.
    If you are, you are. If you are not, you are not.
    If you believe with all your heart that Jesus died for you and you are following HIM, what difference does it make if you asked Him to come into your heart or asked Him to save you or something like that??? It is all the same.

When we are saved.... His Spirit IS in us.
    If we asked Him to save us, I believe that Jesus never turned anyone away...so our salvation is certain. But the key is we must be born again. We must be a new creature, and only Jesus does that. And oh, it is important that we repent of our sins. And what is all that about? This indicates that we are approaching a Holy God.
    Let's say that a person was constantly lying, and suddenly we was introduced to the Lord Jesus. And by The Holy Spirit the man was drawn to Him. This man has a choice, will he ask Jesus to save Him? But what is the normal reaction when approaching our Holy God? It is to repent and turn away from lying, for example, because he knows right then deep in his heart, that he can't go to God in his state of rebellion. So, he asks the Lord to help him and he himself resists the satanic forces that want him to lie or his own lust and deception. He turns away from it as best he can. Does that mean he is completely delivered when he prayed his first salvation prayer? No, of course not. I think this is what we are taught about sanctification...a process. In fact, if we were instantly delivered from all our bad things, I bet we would quickly conclude that we do not need God perhaps. For God knows our hearts. Some HE delivers and heals in a massive degree the moment they got saved, while others have quite a process yet ahead of them, day by day, hour by hour. God is in control. But when this man prays that salvation prayer, I believed he entered glory.

I believe that if we go over the Bible with a fine tooth comb and try to pick at this or pick at that wording, we are running into trouble. Just take the Bible as a whole unit. Don't cut and paste.

It is all about belonging to Jesus, loving Him and loving others. I think we complicate things that were never meant to be complicated.

Like the person above said, Jesus wants our heart. Don't look to others, but seek your salvation from God and Him alone.

5. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

If one reads Revelation 3:20 in the context of the whole passage, it can appear that Christ isn't talking about salvation, but about rejoining in fellowship with a church who has lost its way.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right on Rev. 3:20. We use a lot of terms that "sound" spiritual but may be confusing to the unregenerate.

Ever tell a child to "open up your heart and let Jesus in"? That will scare the bejeebers out of 'em!

I always try to carefully explain (1) repentance from their sin and (2) belief in the Savior. Then I leave it up to the individual. They may truly accept that without saying a word.

99% of the "salvation" decisions that came from walking an aisle or raising a hand actually occured in the heart before they ever took the first step out.

THAT is the work of the Holy Spirit and we cannot manipulate it.

7. Lovelight

Lovelight New Member

The post was on a Christian Message Board, but I have no idea if the poster was J.W. or Mormon.

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I explain "getting saved" to children, I say that they need to tell God they are sorry for all the things they have done to displease God, and to ask that the punishment that Jesus took could count for them, and that God would make them His child.
    If they believe that, and do that, then I assure them that God keeps His Word, and that they are His child, and can look forward to going to Heaven some day.

If that is confusing, then a child can usually understand the idea of Jesus taking the punishment on their behalf as a gift, and that they need to accept the gift in order to actually obtain its value.

9. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

Amen Dr. Bob! [​IMG] To God be the glory!

10. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Amen Dr. Bob! [​IMG] To God be the glory! </font>[/QUOTE]Let me second that Amen! Very good point Dr. Bob.

11. Tim

Tim New Member

I think the reason people get upset about words is that non-biblical phrasing can carry a non-biblical connotation--so we have to be careful of the words we choose.

Personally, I don't like the term "accepting Jesus Christ" because it seems to put us in the driver's seat, rather than the Lord. We do "receive" salvation as He gives it to us, but He is not frustrated, trying to give a gift that we simply refuse to accept.

I also don't like the term "get saved" for the same basic reason. We're used to "getting" things whenever we decide we want them. I prefer "be saved". It's His saving work in us that should be emphasized.

In Christ,

Tim