1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acorn Watchers Wonder What Happened to Crop -- Starving Squirrels

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could be just a cycle of nature, but I find it strange that the derth of acorns covers all kinds of oak trees. Could somethng man has done have pushed the oak trees past the tipping point?

No one knows.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An overproduction of acorns last year provided a bountiful crop of squirels this past spring.

Still there's plenty of fat squirels around here.

All the strange squirels are headed to Washington DC. looking for a handout.

It's probably the President's fault the oaks aren't producing will this year.

Rob

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Here in NC we have had the strongest mast crop in several years. Several deer hunters have commented to me that it made their season harder because the deer are not moving around as much.

In my own yard the acorns were several inches thick in the yard. The last couple years I racked up leaves but the squirrels took care of the acorns. This year the squirrels are so fat they can barely climb the trees and there is still a carpet of acorns on the yard.

Sounds like a local thing to me. How was their rain this year? Did they get an early or late frost?

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well the squirrels here ate my pecans and my hickory nuts as well as the 'fruit' that the wild bradford pear trees in my backyard produces. (wild because we cut the dumb things down because they break so easy and this is what came up from the root stock. Its a much hardier tree and still blooms pretty. The kids and the squirels love the fruit but for very different reasons. The kids like to throw them at each other! :eek: :laugh: )

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This appears to be much like the mythical starving Polar Bears

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Word has it that Al Gore hugged the trees too tightly, and smothered them.

Priceless.

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Crabby,

You worry too much. God is in control and He takes care of the squirrel as well as the sparrow. If there was a bumper crop of acorns last year there will be a "bumper crop" of squirrels this year and they will have foraged the trees clean before they could have dropped the first acorn. Next year the squirrel population will be thinner and the acorn crop will be heavier. And the cycle continues. Sounds like your neighborhood should break out the recipe for squirrel stew. :laugh: