1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Active Listening and Reflective Listening

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Internet message boards, the Baptist Board being no exception, are a repository of conflicting opinions. Some topics bring out visceral responses. Participants in the discussion often process soundbites instead of entire posts. This leads to misunderstanding and accusations of "putting words in my mouth". When this happens threads derail, feelings get hurt, and wrong conclusions are drawn about each participants point of view. There are two methods that are used by business leaders, counselors, and educators that can help us in our message board interactions: active listening and reflective listening. Both are easier to do in person, but with some modifications, they can work on a message board.

Active listening is when the hearer listens with the intent to understand, comprehend, and respond while not forgetting what was said. Reflective listening is when the hearer asks short relevant questions to help clarify what has been said. Active listening is harder to do on a message board because the other person cannot see our facial expressions. They receive no feedback that we are actively listening to them. Reflective listening is easier to do. For instance, if Charles types, "I don't like vegetables", we can respond with, "Do you like any vegetables?" This gives the person the opportunity to clarify. They may respond with, "Well, I dislike peas and carrots". We just learned that Charles disliked peas and carrots. We can ask another clarifying question to find out whether peas and carrots have influenced Charles' opinion on all vegetables, such as, "Other than peas and carrots, are there any other vegetables that you don't like?" Charles may respond with, "No. I guess I like other vegetables, but I really can't stand peas and carrots."

To be fair, some of us do this instinctively. I appreciate it when someone asks questions about what I said as opposed to drawing conclusions that may not be accurate. Some of us do it occasionally. I fall into this category. Of course, active and reflective listening only works when the other party desires an honest discussion. That is not always the case on a message board. Some people are more interested in pushing their agenda than they are about finding out the truth. In those instances, you have to decide whether participating in the discussion is worth your time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They are.not looking for an answer?
    They are not looking for clarification?
    Is it like the motivation of those in mark 3:2?
    Watching that they might accuse?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questions are a great way to engage in a meaningful conversation;
    like you noted, it's easier to do face-to-face than in written form.

Without the intonation a voice supplies questions can appear threatening or off topic.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That’s right! Bless you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a very interesting article, but I have one question... Since Charles doesn't like peas and carrots, can I have them?... Brother Glen:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can make the peas and carrots more acceptable...

Butter up the peas! Glob of butter.
    Sweeten up the carrots! Glazem'

HankD

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Dear Reformed,

I have taught speech for 20 years. And in Communication Theory we make the difference like this::

Hearing is when you have all the plumbing and everything is working correctly. The rood work of hearing is ear.

Listening is when one makes a choice, a volitional decision to "hear" the person and then give attention to what they say. Not just noise going in but focused on them even with the eyes. We call that listening with the entire body or gestalt.

My two cents worth.

rd

• Like Like x 1
  8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes rd, and listening resulting in the expectation of a response has a beautiful singular English word "Heed" (though it seems to have fallen into neglect of use).

Hebrews 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Hank,

I am glad you approve. Many of us husband and wives IBFers and SBCers would do well to "heed" this simple formula. But it is an acquired life skill of the discipline of being a follower of Christ is it not?

rd

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed we should have the "heed" skill.

I believe it is available to ALL believers but yes it takes diligence on our part as does the exercise of any/all the gifts of the Spirit to the priesthood of believers.

The essence of which (the ability to exercise said gifts) involves a sensitivity to the presence of the Holy Spirit and maintenance of that sensitivity.

...grieve not the Holy Spirit...(Eph 4:30).
    Quench not the Spirit (1Th 5:19).

in both the contexts above these detectives are given to us coming out of our relational duties to one another.

HankD

11. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and two more less used words. Behold. means more than look. and Harken means more than hear.

• Like Like x 1