1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Acts 10 - Cornelius - Question

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by LaGrange, Nov 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Everyone,

Acts 10 - Cornelius

I thought I would keep it simple. I don’t think my long posts are always popular. My posts are usually long because I try to anticipate all the objections or the subject requires it. I’m not giving that up but I thought this would be a little change of pace. I could have started out with a long post this time too and I may put it on this thread later. We’ll see. So, instead, right now, I thought I would try to get this discussion going by simply asking this question:

Was Cornelius regenerated by Faith Alone? Water Baptism? or maybe some other means? What do you think?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, and no.

Yes:

7 `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
    8 the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.` Jn 3

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. I think you are saying it is by the Spirit. How do you get Spirit in terms of regeneration?

4. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Kyredneck,

Here’s another way of asking the same question: Does a person just all of a sudden realize they have the Spirit? How do you receive it? Whatever you answer is, looking at the text of Acts 10, where do you see this?

5. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Jesus. The Spirit does as He willls (John 3 et Al)

and Yes. Sometimes it’s wow

the giving of the Spirit to a Believer is a gift from God

• Like Like x 1
  6. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Marooncat79,

So where do you see this in Acts 10?

7. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say that by Grace Cornelius was saved.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think we would all agree but how did he get it? In real time, when did he received this grace?

9. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always.” - Acts 10:2
    “But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” - John 6:23-24

10. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Rockytopva,

You quoted Acts 10:2. That’s right at the beginning so do you think he received the Spirit right then? Did he receive the Spirit before Acts 10?

11. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He sure showed the fruits of the Spirit before Acts 10!

12. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. Thanks Rockytopva. I’m going to wait and see if there is anyone else before I give my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you have to understand the full sense of scripture You cannot isolate it like you seemingly want to do here?

otherwise, scripture would make no sense and some verses would seemingly cancel out others

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Marooncat79,

Ok. Use what scriptures you want. I thought I would be on the defense on this one so I didn’t think you would need other scriptures. Ok. Go ahead.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is really simple. ". . . To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. . . ." The inference being they hearing the word believed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Is “regenerated” used in this passage? The presentation focuses on hearing and believing (following Peter's being sent and preaching).

Acts 10

22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.

33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.​

Acts 11

14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

17 So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?”​

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ". . . the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. . . ." Compare Romans 10:17.

18. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi 37818,

your quote:
    This is really simple. ". . . To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. . . ." The inference being they hearing the word believed. (Vs43-44)

My Quotes:

Acts 10:43-46 To him all the prophets give testimony, that by his name all receive remission of sins, who believe in him. 44 While Peter was yet speaking these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them that heard the word. 45 And the faithful of the circumcision, who came with Peter, were astonished for that the grace of the Holy Ghost was poured out upon the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speaking with tongues and magnifying God.

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Then they desired him to tarry with them some days.

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? Rise up and be baptized and wash away thy sins, invoking his name.

1 Cor 6:11 And such some of you were. But you are washed: but you are sanctified: but you are justified: in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and the Spirit of our God.

Matt 28:19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.

We see two things here instead of one. You see “Believeth”. We see “by his name” and “Believeth”. “Believeth” is Faith and “by His name” is Baptism (also see Acts 22:16, 1 Cor 6:11, Matt 28:19). You need both of them to have “remission of sins” (Regeneration). In verse 48 it says, “And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Then they desired him to tarry with them some days.” Going back to verse 44 it says “the Holy Ghost fell on all them that heard the word”. What happened when the Holy Ghost fell on them and they heard the word? When the Holy Ghost fell on them they began speaking in Tongues. Speaking in Tongues doesn’t mean they were saved or regenerated. Tongues is a Gift and a gift is not the same as being regenerated. Verse 46 says, “For they heard them speaking with tongues and magnifying God.” Cornelius received the Gift of Tongues for Peter’s benefit so that Peter would have one more confirmation or sign from God that he was suppose to Baptize gentiles. That was the purpose. I don’t think any of you would believe Cornelius was saved by speaking in Tongues.

The bottom line: Like verse 43 says, you need to “Believe” and “Invoke His Name” for remission of sins.

19. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Righteousness,

Remission of Sins = Regenerated

You left out Acts 10:43: "To him all the prophets give testimony, that by his name all receive remission of sins , who believe in him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi 37818,

Rom 10:16 But all do not obey the gospel. For Isaias saith: Lord, who hath believed our report?

“Hearing” doesn’t automatically mean you are saved. “Faith then cometh by hearing” (Rom 10:17), however, in context, the previous verse (v16) and the following verses say the Jews heard and refused. So, “Hearing” must include “Obedience” (Rom 1:5,Rom 16:26). They ALL heard but some did not obey. (Also see John 3:36 - “Believeth Not” means not to Obey) I would say that you must “hear” and “obey what you hear” and how do you do that? Peter preached, “To him all the prophets give testimony, that by his name all receive remission of sins, who believe in him.” (Acts 10:43) Peter preached that remission of sins comes through Baptism (by His Name) so you do like Cornelius did in Acts 10 and obey Peter’s command: “And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Then they desired him to tarry with them some days.” (Acts 10:48)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.