1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Additional Reasons People Leave The Church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Stegley, Jan 7, 2014.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Well, I'll just tell you last week:

Wow - quite cynical, huh? I'd get my husband on here but right now but he's a bit busy dealing with finding a building for us to meet in. Right now we meet in a hotel and it's time to leave (the hotel didn't even plow the parking lot after 8+ inches of snow and it was very difficult for some of our congregation to get into the building). He will be meeting with the landlord and then the town board as well as making sure all of our paperwork is in order.

After that, he has a counseling appointment (very serious stuff going on that I can't talk about but let me tell you, Satan has been at work in many people's lives!) and then he has to go to a single mom's house to help her with a leaky faucet. Then it's home to change the dead battery in my daughter's car, more studying for his message on Sunday (we're going through Haggai) and potentially, we will both be going to another single mom's home to work on some faulty family dynamics - as she is facing a leukemia diagnosis.

Then it's dinner time. After dinner, he will try to get some rest because he's been ill and down to only 55% lung capacity from the illness and this single digit temp hasn't been helping but he may have to do some more legal paperwork for our lease that we are hoping to get into the landlord ASAP so we can file the paperwork with the town on Friday to be able to get the permits to meet in our new space.

So what are YOU doing today?

I have to say that my husband is working as hard right now on this church (and doing incredible ministry) as he did when he worked in the audio industry as one of the pioneers in digital sound recording. But God called him to ministry and he left that very lucrative field to fix a woman's faucet and sit by a family as we deal with some deep issues as well as bringing the Word of God to a very hard field.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this could be a problem. Have you been to many churches where you have personally witnessed this?

Along with this unanswered question, you didn't answer any of my points. Why should I answer your questions if you don't respond to mine?

Also, you did not provide examples of Preacherese.

3. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Yes, I am familiar with how in their minds females relate "everything to everything!!", especially when they feel a little defensive. As a pastor, your husband just basically "talks." And, Yes, he does fix faucets in between talking, as most other nontalking men do.

Are there no preexisting Godly churches in your area where you and your people might join? Or, does your husband have a ... "special" ... ministry, where he can do it better than the other churches in town ... ?

4. Stegley

Stegley New Member

For all of your ... "points" ... which involved asking me if I had personally seen many of the particular issues, the answer is "Yes." I speak of things I constantly see in babbling and busy churches.

As well, I have worked for 30 years with a pastoral missionary organization which is largely the exception to the 10 issues I listed for you above. These Godly Pastors are carefully vetted and selected to not be the typical do-nothing babblers like normal preachers. Over the years I have known and worked with about 500 of them. I know the real deal when I see it.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey there bub,

You are speaking about things you know nothing of. Her husband is the pastor of a church that is planted by another church. I suggest you take you take your arrogance down the road and grow up. Attacking people over things you do not know the details of will not fly around here.

6. KJVRICH

KJVRICH New Member

sounds like this is an area you excel in !

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How many single moms do you help each week? I'd love to hear the number of people that you personally minister to and are on speed dial anytime there is a problem. :)

Actually, no. There are no preexisting Godly churches in the area that we have our campus. It is one of the largest school districts around with very few Evangelical churches there. There is one Baptist church that is KJVO, one VERY Pentacostal church there too (they have a Miracle Service every Thursday night, if you'd like to attend). Then there are the Mormons down the road along with the Jehovah's Witnesses, one other church plant that started at the hotel across the street from us (we haven't been able to meet with that pastor yet) and of course the Catholic churches, Episcopal churches and synagogues as well. It's VERY underserved by Bible teaching Evangelical churches.

8. Stegley

Stegley New Member

It does not require a "called" preacher who has lots of loose time on his hands to minister to single moms. Do "single moms" have a specisl place in your heart? Ever thought about handing out some free birth controls to them in the name of Jesus and Godly Wisdom?

Thank you for chatting. You have wonderful mannerisms and I am sure love your husband very much. Bless your heart.

9. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Actually, I minister to lesbians and the mentally impaired.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What loose time?

Yes, because that seems to be who God is sending us to minister to.

That is quite offensive, honestly. These women are women who are not bearing children anymore but are being responsible and taking care of the ones that had with a man who abandoned them.

11. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought your OP had some valid points (some are, although they'd have to be decided on a case-by-case basis), but reading the rest of the thread you really do come off as very abrasive. You expect people to listen to you when all of your responses to them involve taunting and ad hominem? You want people to address your arguments and not you, yet you do this tenfold in response to them?

12. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

They absolutely have a real job, and it furthers the gospel! It's the approach and the results that mostly are flesh and fall short.

Its not a super bad thing, people just dont know there is more. Paul thanked God for people who preached out of a faulty calling.
    It is not a condemnation to say a preacher is not walking in the power when measured with Jesus' ministry. Its a challenge to reach the mark, Him.
    If there are not miracles,
    or reports of them, or talk of the possibilities coming, or anything supernatural like Jesus did, it aint authentic. It is a lesser substitute.

He just does not know the power available to his ministry. If a sincere seeker, once a pastor realizes that his methods lead him nowhere, he will get humble, throw away the latest method fad, and start to depend on Jesus to tell him what to say EVERY TIME HE SPEAKS.

When the PRO Trained Preacher denies himself, then, power will come.
    The pro-preacher becomes a servant, not an occupation.
    He will no longer send the mentally ill to the psychiatrist for talk and drugs
    He will no longer think that doctors have replaced the Great physician
    He will no longer dress the staff up as clowns and put on shows and banquets to gain the attention of teachable children, miracles alone will draw them in for miles!
    He will no longer devise and strive for funding, God will provide and does not need man's business school
    He will no longer pray so many unanswered prayers
    His focus will always be on Jesus, not on sin
    He will no longer list schools and certificates as proof God sent him, the signs speak for him

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

If it doesn't originate in his mind, he doesn't believe much of anything.

Just a heads up ...

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

So throw away the seminary degree, the study guides, concordances, lexicons, Bible dictionaries, and just wait for the Holy Spirit to give him the words?

Have I got that right?
    Every pastor I've know, with one exception, exhibited the qualities of a servant anyway.
    There are issues that require the training of these professionals who have a biblical perspective, and denying that is exceptionally naïve.
    Ah, just lay hands on 'em and they'll all be cured, right? Works for Benny Hinn, doesn't it? Oh, sorry, bad example. Well, I'm sure you can give me a good example.
    Laying aside the curious reference to clowns, shows and banquets, I'll note that this is the second time you've mentioned miracles. Perhaps you can share with us what kind of miracles you're talking about. I don't suppose the miracle of savlation through solid preaching would qualify?
    Ah, so God will just instill he and the church leadership with the qualities of good stewards? They don't have to have any Earthly knowledge of finance, business practices, etc.?
    And you know for a fact that all who pray outside a church like this -- like yours, I presume -- don't get those prayers answered?
    That's the only thing you've said that actually makes sense.
    " ... and wonders" no doubt.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op has no valid points. the author has been brainwashed by the official house church movement. It is a rebellious movement and ungoldy.

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

And Mr. Plain_n_simple is woefully out of place in a Baptist forum.

17. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think they have some good points, from talking with home church advocates before. Although I'd agree that they're exaggerated.
    But as far as concept goes...home church, traditional church...whatever works best for someone, y'know? Seems to me the idea of a home church doesn't have to necessarily be based on rebellion or hard feelings anymore than traditional churches are necessarily all talk and no action. I don't believe either are inherently wrong.

#37 evenifigoalone, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
  18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no problem with home churches but that is not the same thing as the official house church movement. I suggest you do some research on that. They despise preaching, church organization, church leadership etc. That is a huge theological problem. And what is worse they constantly characterize the traditional church in extreme rhetoric. Like this knucklehead in the op.

19. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I haven't read much on them, I have debated with one about it before and they brought all that up.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist