1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adjusting Wednesday night service

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cory75, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Cory75

Cory75 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm am a relatively new pastor at a small, rural, traditional church. We average about 65-70 on Sunday mornings...we have very few youth...we have a handful of children. I've been at this church for 22 months, and this is the first time that I have served in the pastorate. I was a college minister for more than a decade leading up to this. When I arrived, I kept the Wednesday night service as it was, and it's pretty basic I guess (my wife and I hadn't attended a church that had a Wednesday night service since I was last a youth minister in 2002).

We have 3 songs to open...we go into prayer requests and pray through them (either break into small prayer groups or pray for each one as mentioned or come to the front of the church as a body and pray as people are led)...then I have a short message that is usually ~15 minutes. Our timeframe has been 7:00-8:00.

We are on the verge of starting an Awana ministry on Wednesday nights, and that will run from 6:30-8:00. So, that adds a half hour on the front end of our service, and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

So I guess my question is...what do your churches do on Wednesday nights? How long? What works...what doesn't work? What advice/insight/wisdom can you offer a first-time pastor at a small, traditional church that values Wednesday night services?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has a Wednesday night service. We open by prayer requests and following up on those who have requested prayer. The pastor has someone open in prayer and everyone who feels led prays in turn, the pastor closing. Afterwards we have a bible study (similar to an adult Sunday school study).

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a family supper. After that we have Awana for the kids and adult Bible study for those not working Awana. The goal is to get EVERYONE working Awana.

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ours is a simple, informal Bible study.

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kids choir, then GAs/RAs and adult bible study.