1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Adrian Rodgers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL

2. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spoke of where I disagreed with Pastor Rogers theology regarding the means of salvation. Not once, to my recollection, did I say Calvin or Calvinism. You went straight to a former Reformer. I went straight to the Bible. The Bible refutes Adrian Rogers teaching on salvation.
    As others have attested, an I did as well, from the sermon I listened to, he was easy on the ears.

Second, don't lecture anyone about bullying. I was banned for a time by you because you could not accept my position. You cannot throw a stone and call others a bully.

#102 Particular, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Non-Calvinists consider Calvinism wrong. So Calvinists call non-Calvinists heretics. Too often they are cult-like (Calvinists will support other Calvinist's sinfulness...or at least remain silent....because they are members of the same camp).

Here you have a Calvinist (@Hollow Man ) calling Arminianism (a Christian belief) "pelagianism" (a heresy). How many Calvinists are going to correct the lie?

Here you have a Calvinist (@Hollow Man ) referring to my wife, who is not even involved on this board, as a dog. How many Calvinists are going to correct the insult?

My guess is none. That is what "Calvinism" is most often on this board - the opposite of Christian character. This is what brings Calvinism down and makes it appear so dead a theology. While in the "real world" Calvinists are more than professing Christians (they exhibit Christ) in online forums what you see is what you get. A little wheat among a bunch of weeds.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Be honest - you were temp. banned because twice you stated that another member "hates God" and "hates Jesus" and you were suspended for that violation of rules. This is a good example of what I am talking about with the type of "Calvinists" we get here. But I did not ban you. I have no problem with people holding to Calvinism or Arminianism although I disagree with both.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Article 1.

That God, by an eternal and unchangeable purpose in Jesus Christ his Son before the foundation of the world, has determined that out of the fallen, sinful race of men, to save in Christ, for Christ’s sake, and through Christ, those who through the grace of the Holy Spirit shall believe on this his son Jesus, and shall persevere in this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end; and, on the other hand, to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath and to condemn them as alienated from Christ, according to the word of the Gospel in John 3:36: “He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that does not believe the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abides on him,” and according to other passages of Scripture also.

Article 2.

That, accordingly, Jesus Christ the Savior of the world, died for all men and for every man, so that he has obtained for them all, by his death on the cross, redemption and the forgiveness of sins; yet that no one actually enjoys this forgiveness of sins except the believer, according to the word of the Gospel of John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” And in the First Epistle of John 2:2: “And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”

Article 3.

That man does not posses saving grace of himself, nor of the energy of his free will, inasmuch as in his state of apostasy and sin he can of and by himself neither think, will, nor do any thing that is truly good (such as saving Faith eminently is); but that it is necessary that he be born again of God in Christ, through his Holy Spirit, and renewed in understanding, inclination, and will, and all his faculties, in order that he may rightly understand, think, will, and effect what is truly good, according to the Word of Christ, John 15:5, “Without me you can do nothing.”

Article 4.

That this grace of God is the beginning, continuance, and accomplishment of all good, even to the extent that the regenerate man himself, without prevenient or assisting, awakening, following and cooperative grace, can neither think, will, nor do good, nor withstand any temptations to evil; so that all good deeds or movements that can be conceived must be ascribed to the grace of God in Christ. But with respect to the mode of the operation of this grace, it is not irresistible, since it is written concerning many, that they have resisted the Holy Spirit (Acts 7, and elsewhere in many places).

Article 5.
    That those who are incorporated into Christ by true faith, and have thereby become partakers of his life-giving Spirit, as a result have full power to strive against Satan, sin, the world, and their own flesh, and to win the victory; it being well understood that it is ever through the assisting grace of the Holy Spirit; and that Jesus Christ assists them through his Spirit in all temptations, extends to them his hand, and if only they are ready for the conflict, desire his help, and are not inactive, keeps them from falling, so that they, by no deceit or power of Satan, can be misled nor plucked out of Christ’s hands, according to the Word of Christ, John 10:28: “Neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” But whether they are capable, through negligence, of forsaking again the first beginning of their life in Christ, of again returning to this present evil world, of turning away from the holy doctrine which was delivered them, of losing a good conscience, of neglecting grace, that must be more particularly determined out of the Holy Scripture, before we ourselves can teach it with the full confidence of our mind.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? You ever read the articles of Remonstrance?
    You just put your gross misunderstanding of Arminianism on display for the world to see.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Members -

@hollowman has been banned. The reason for the ban is he decided to call my wife a dog. I have not been taking action on any reports lately and certainly have not been taking action on posts involving me.

But this is too far. I can handle insults but do not suppose you are going to insult my wife or family on this forum.

This goes for anyone who decides to insult any ones family.

I will not let that go. Participants are fair game to an extent. NOT our family.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagreed with you and with what I exactly said.
    The fact is, you have a different standard of acceptance for your behavior than you have for those in which you disagree. You have zero legitimacy in claiming others are bullying when you are no different at all.
    Now, let us return to the subject of Adrian Rogers.
    Apart from his soteriological position, what sermons or teachings do people especially find helpful by Adrian Rogers? Even most Reformed Baptists here have said some good things. On what topics was Adrian Rogers on point?

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are being very dishonest.

This is what you posted:
    That is why I gave you the warnings. It has nothing to do with your position. I actually hold a position much closer to you than the member you were attacking.

There is no excuse for your behavior or making those comments to another member of this board.

Your comments were a violation of BB rules (as is your discussion here).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see this failure to call out other Calvinists at all levels. Matt Chandler teaches a lot of questionable things. He is the driving force of the SBC social justice movement, he backs Beth Moore etc.. John Macarthur, who I greatly respect, is against the social justice movement. He very critical of Moore. Because Mac and Chandler are both Calvinists, Mac continues to preach events with Chandler and refuses to call out and correct Chandler.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suspect that the Arminian camp, unfortunately, gets all the Pelagians and semi-pelagians lumped into the camp. Knowing you are a classic Arminian, I can see how this would bother you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of which poster was Particular speaking? He may have been correct while technically being in violation of a board rule.

13. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't wrong.
    I also did not claim the person was not a Christian.
    Now, will you admit to being a bully at times or will you keep dodging?
    You do exactly what you accuse iconoclast of doing, yet you won't admit it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot discuss which member (I think he is no longer here). We cannot say that members hate Jesus and hate God.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say you questioned if he was a Christian. I said you said a member hated God and hated Jesus. This is contrary to BB rules.

16. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know exactly who I was speaking to and addressing. I was not wrong. Secondly, I was banned without being notified of the ban. I came to the site and found myself unable to post.

This is water under the bridge now.

Let us go back to Adrian Rogers.

What sermons or teachings did people find edifying and why?

#116 Particular, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His name is Adrian Rogers, not "Rodgers" (misspelled in thread title and OP)!

Get it right.

• Like Like x 1
  19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boo hoo. That's terrible. Particular couldn't post his strawman arguments for seven whole days! And no warning at all. The inhumanity!

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You remind me of the Scarecrow in Oz...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.