1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

affirmation of being a child of God?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Nov 7, 2004.

1. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

So many christians talk about this.
    They say if you don't have this affirmation which is given to you by the holy spirit then you're not saved!! :(
    What does this mean? Do you hear the holy spirit saying to you that you're saved?
    Does this mean somebody who gave his life to Jesus but in unsure wether he's really saved and wether it really worked is not saved? :eek:
    I dont know but I have often been unsure and then I prayed the sinners' prayer again.
    Does this mean I'm not saved cause I dont know what this affirmation is?
    :(

2. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Jimbo

It means your still a CHILD.Do know what this means?

It means LOCKED UP UNDER THE LAW (((UNTIL))) FAITH BE REVEALED (((IN YOU))) as the scriptures themselves testify to. Children need assurance their sins are forgiven they don't have this yet, I'll show you from scripture.

1Corinth 13:11 When I was a CHILD, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I BECAME A MAN, I put away childish things.

Gal 4:1 Now I say, [That] the heir, as LONG AS HE IS A CHILD, differeth nothing from a servant, THOUGH HE BE LORD OF ALL;

Gal 4:2 But is under tutors and governors UNTIL THE ((TIME APPOINTED)) OF THE FATHER.

Gal 4:3 Even so we, WHEN WE WERE CHILDREN, were in BONDAGE under the elements of the world:

Heres a picture of the deliverance here

Gal 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

Gal 4:5 To REDEEM THEM that were under the law, that we might receive the ADOPTION OF SONS.

You’re a Child NOW AWAITING under the law the ADOPTION AS A SON ( Faith IN TIME will be REVEALED IN YOU) This will be revealed to you in Gods timing to release you from where you are right now.

*Now you have something to look forward to here, this is what YOU are awaiting for now.*

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Gal 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant (A CHILD) but A SON; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Even Abraham had to WAIT on the Lord seeing His body (as Paul did) as good as DEAD (nothings happening inside) and says, “Who shall save me from this body of death? This is a place in our walk as Children into Sonship.

To Children it is written

1John 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the SONS (Who were ONCE CHILDREN) of God.

Heb 2:10 For it became him, for whom [are] all things, and by whom [are] all things, in BRINGING MANY SONS UNTO GLORY, to make the captain of their SALVATION PERFECT THROUGH SUFFERING.

1John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the SONS of God, and it DOTH NOT YET APPEAR WHAT WE ARE (NOT FATHERS YET): but we know that, when he shall appear, WE SHALL BE LIKE HIM; FOR WE SHALL SEE HIM AS HE IS.

Sons INTO Fathers (ALL STAGES OF GROWTH IN THE LORD)

1John 14:1 have written unto you, FATHERS, BECAUSE YE HAVE KNOWN HIM [that is] from the beginning. I have written unto you, YOUNG MEN, BECAUSE YE ARE STRONG, AND THE WORD OF GOD ABIDETH IN YOU, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

Christ is the AUTHOR and FINISHER of our Faith.

Jimbo you are right where you need to be (A Child) Spiritually where you are as expressed by you defines where you are according to scripture itself.You have something awaiting for you to be revealed in you, and it will come. It’s the ((GIFT)) of FAITH to those who "simply believe" which YOU DO.After this then Sonship will be realized in you and even as Sonship into a father in the sense that you know Him from the beginning.

We’ve all been there, myself included theres a time your waiting for, it will happen IN YOU Jimbo, when it does you will feel the Spark of that ignition within. Just wait.

God Bless

Seth3

3. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Hi Seth!
    Thanks for the reply.

But many christians say that directly after giving their lives to Jesus, even without knowing anything about this, they had the knowledge and the conviction that they are children of God. This is what I mean. I never really had this. And this scares me. It scares me when others say you have to have this to be saved.

4. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Jimbo,

I didn't. I confessed it but inside I feared. I'd be lying if I personally said differently. I feared for awhile until faith was revealed in me. I can only minister out of what I personally underwent even as it is expressed in scripture. So I would think your feelings and my own are scriptural as shown above. Faith is substance of things HOPED FOR. If one does not yet have this one waits patiently for it but it does come (its a Gift) as small as a mustard seed but can move mountains with it. Thats the gift of faith I'm talking about.

The above (what I have shared) is scripture describing YOU to a Tee. You know this IN YOU. Its not what others say but what Gods words say to YOU. Its a double edged Sword dividing the Soul and Spirit and the thoughts and intentions of the heart. His word is OUR LIFE. Your life is expressed in it as well. Its these very words we identify in as they become a part of our life (through experience) and in them we have encouragement.

What does it say above IN SCRIPTURE JIM?

As Long as the heir is A CHILD he's no different from a servent THOUGH HE IS LORD OF ALL.

Thats scripture Jim. Your "IN" (NOT "OUT" according to HIS words). MEANS "little children" your SINS ARE FORGIVEN FOR HIS NAMES SAKE.

I could care less what others say, its what scriptures say, and these are ENCOURAGING(!) Let those verses "sink in" because they show the truth.You have something awaiting you, and God in "His Time" show YOU.

I only mean to impart hope to you where you are, because I was there myself, while others were screaming all the same words to me (in them I found no comfort or fellowship in my own sufferings) so I know how "it feels" that's why I connect with you here. I'm trying to show how God through His words brought me "comfort" through them.

God Bless Jimbo

Seth3

[ November 07, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Seth3 ]

5. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Thanks Seth. [​IMG]

6. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Your welcome, its true isn't it? You know that in your heart as I knew it in mine. You have something really beautiful coming to you, you just wait and see.

God Bless

Seth3

7. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Something really beautiful coming to me?
    What do you mean? :confused:
    This sounds a bit mysterious,,, [​IMG]

8. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Jimbo,

Read the Child thread again... and "think" on it... I know you breezed right through it because I quickly editted my reply and your reply was posted after I edit. lol!

We need to "think" on the words until you own them in your understanding.

"Faith" is sent into your heart as a Gift for "believing" in Him. Your awaiting the "gift" from Child into Sonship. Go back and read it, look at the verses shared so you know where I got them from. We grow in stages, whats true for a Child is not true of a Son its the passing and growing into understanding, what is True of a father is the knowing of Him.

Please promise to read it carefully until your heart sees it not just your mind ok?

God Bless

Seth3

9. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

you mean this here,Seth?

I'll read it again but I cannot guarantee that I really understand it the way you expect it.

10. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

as far as healing goes;

Acts-3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
    2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
    3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
    4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
    5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
    6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

If you think about it, this man was there at the gate when Jesus came and went thru that same gate, and Jesus never stopped and healed him.

the timeing is in Gods hands. Sometimes he says wait awhile. Sometimes he says never. Such as with Paul and the thorn in the flesh. God told him "my grace is sufficient for thee".

Praying for you Jimbo,

Tam

11. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

About lying:

Proverbs 27-5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.
    6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

It is better to tell the truth than to tell a lie.

Sometimes we just need to say no. There is no requirement that says we have to give a reason.

Working for Jesus,

Tam

12. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Thanks Tam.

@ seth

are you saying I am still under the law waiting to be freed from it? this cannot be. I am not under the law. The people in the OT were under the law but now we're under the new covenant.

13. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Jimbo

Thats right Jim. Then you are walking in the Freedom of the Sons of God led by the Spirit? Has the promise been sent into your heart crying Father? Or Judge? Only you know this. If not simply believe and hold hope out for the gift of faith.

God bless

Seth3

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

If God has to prove anything to you it isn't called faith. Salvation is by faith alone.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

JJ, did you ever answer my question about what church you are in? Why aren't you asking people in your church these questions?

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. The assurance of salvation is not a condition of salvation - it is one of the benefits. If you are not experiencing that benefit then you need to take a hard look at why - but it does not mean you are not saved.

#2. In Romans 8:14-16 we find this "The Holy Spirit bears witness WITH our spirit that WE ARE the children of God".

That is a dynamic living relationship "event" it is not simply dry doctrinal possibility. You need to seek out that "experience". You need to experience the witness.

But it does not come in the form of a neon sign.

#3. In John 14. Christ said "I will give you peace - and it is not such as the world can give - it is something far beyond anything the world can give".

In Phil 4 we find that it is "the peace that PASSES understanding".

In Gal 5 we find that it is a basic - central - essential FRUIT of the Spirit.

Notice that that you will not have ALL the GIFTS of the Spirit - but you ARE promised ALL the FRUITs of the Spirit.

He speaks peace to the soul - and this is that witness that is not possible via any other means.

You need to seek the "experience" via effort, time alone with God, reading, praying THROUGH the Word (such as Psalms 23), asking questions in prayer, taking time to listen with each question (hint notebook and pen would be a good idea).

TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is good - NOT "read and KNOW". It is a full contact sport - and sometimes this frustrates those who are conditioned to play it as a non-contact sport.

In Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One more suggestion - seek out a congregation where Christians are actively engaged in the model above and will provide groups for you to join them in doing the same.

In Christ,

Bob

18. here now

here now Member

Jimbo Jones says:
    QUOTE]you mean this here,Seth?

I'll read it again but I cannot guarantee that I really understand it the way you expect it. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Jimbo-
    When the Holy Spirit is ready for you to understand it, you will. And just by your showing such an interest means that the Holy Spirit is motivating you.
    Do you have a strong urge to read the Bible?

[ November 07, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: here now ]

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most of us are familiar with the very popular children's song:

Jesus loves me, this I know;
    For the Bible tells me so.

And what does the Bible tell me?
    1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

If one's salvation is not based on Christ, then it is not salvation at all. Christ is revealed to us through the Word of God. If the Christ that one believes in is not the Christ of the Bible, then one does not have salvation at all. For example, if you believe in Jesus Christ, as defined by the Koran, then you are not saved. For the Koran teaches that Christ is only a prophet and not God. Christ must be defined by the Bible, and likewise salvation.
    There are many that base their salvation on works. Their salvation is in question.
    There are many that base their salvation on experiences, such as tongues. Their salvation is in question.
    There are many that base their salvation on some church rite such as baptism. Their salvation is in question.

The foundation of our salvation must be Christ and Him alone. Christ died for the penalty of our sins. He did so because we all have sinned.
    "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." (Rom.3:23)
    Until one admits their sinfulness, that they have offended a righteous and holy God, and comes to Christ as a sinner in need of Him as their Saviour, they cannot be saved; for only Christ can save. He alone can forgive your sins and grant unto you eternal life.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    --The wages of sin is death—eternal death, a wage that I deserve and yet cannot pay. God says that because of my sin I deserve eternal separaton from God in a place called hell. I can't pay that penalty, but I know someone who did, and did so on my behalf. Am I willing to accept his payment on behalf of my sins. It cost him a great price. It was the price of his own blood. He paid the penalty of my sin by shedding His blood on the cross. That sacrifice made an atonement for my sin, for your sin, for the sins of the world. In order to appropriate that gift of forgiveness to myself; in order for me to avail myself of His payment, I must receive it. He does not want me to work for it. He simply wants me to receive what he has done for me on the cross. It is a gift. One doesn't work for a gift. A gift is to be freely received. It is mine for the taking. Some years ago that is exactly what I did. I came to Christ as a sinner in need of a Saviour, and in prayer asked Christ to save me and forgive my sin. And so He did. He forgave all my sin: past, present and future, and gave to me his gift of eternal life. It changed my life completely.

From that time on:
    I know that I have forgiveness of sins.
    I know that if I were to die now I would go to heaven.
    I know that God's Spirit dwells in me.
    I know that His Spirit bears witness with my spirit that I am child of God.

If you are truly saved, truly born again and a child of God, then God begins to work in your life to change you. If there is no change in a person's life, I question if the person is saved. Only God knows for sure. But God's Word teaches that there will be change in every believers life.
    DHK

20. Dave Bussard

Dave Bussard New Member

Jimbo

So, you are fearful because you're a rebel? GREAT! I challenge you to find Godly men in the Bible that were NOT rebels. You won't find any. Peter was a great example of a rebel, yet when he started out he was clearly slow in the head, as we all are in the beginning. But slow in the head rebel Peter became a pillar of the Church and a perfect example of what God can and does do in a man's heart that seeks Him. TRY not to worry. Trust Him with your life and your salvation. Their both in His hand and He's already got it all worked out anyway!

Dave