1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AFN-TV Germany -- Jan 81

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    upload_2021-3-18_15-18-17.png

Responsibility for American Television initially was provided by USAF-E - (pronounced U-SAFE) VIA Armed Forces TV from Ramisteim Air Base. In 1975 (I think) USAEUR assumed control of the remanmed AFN-TV Germany.
    Berlin and Brememhoven had their own stations for TV, though the radio stations in both cities were part
    of AFN-Europe.
    One main difference between Air Force and Army Control is that with the Air Force in Control military personnel wore civilian clothes on camera. When the Army took over - all military on-air personnel, including Airmen wore uniforms. At one point - there was a Navy E-6 with a beard - upon making E-7, he was required to shave it.

When the Army took over - they also co-located the TV and Radio networks in Frankfurt. At that time, some of the AFN-Radio personalities - were also on TV. Interesting, for a long time- you never knew what a person looked like - then you saw them on TV!

So, What stories do you have about the American Forces Networks (anywhere outside of CONUS) do you have?

#1 Salty, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We used to watch AFN-TV in Germany.....Most of it was just re-runs of programs that were also aired in the US. However, I did sometimes wonder why AFN-TV never did air "Hogan's Heroes"!! Seriously though we'll probably never fully know about life as a POW in WW2. One of my history professors at APSU was a survivor of the Bataan Death March and subsequent POW imprisonment by the Japanese in WW2. We seldom see any documentaries on the extent of evil the Japanese inflicted on the US soldiers back then. Dr P Hubbard was one of them. When asked of his treatment as a POW, all he would say was, "I was a guest of the Japanese government." Although some 30 years had passed, he and his fellow POWs endured such inhumane treatment that he never wanted to recall the agonizing years he spent. EX: The Japanese Navy would force POWs to be bound to the outer layers of their ships just to guarantee that if a US sub hit their ships, the US Navy would kill those US POWs first. Something to think about when we drive cars that were designed in Japan.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On my third tour of USAEUR - AFN was airing Hogan Heroes!

Hogan's Heroes had been broadcast over the AFN in Germany in 1974 for one or two episodes, but the German government strongly requested its removal, and the management of AFN TV complied with this request and took it off the air.

Hogan's Heroes was not broadcast in Germany on German television until 1992.

This info provided from Hogan's Heroes - German-language Version

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist