1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Age Old Arguement of Worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Charlotte Hayes, Sep 29, 2018.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with much you post here. What I love about hymns are how they link generations. Tradition for tradition sake is not always good, but tradition itself is also not necessarily a bad thing. I'd be more content with contemporary praise music if they would settle down and stop changing every month. Throughout my life I've gained so much from the song's I've learned as a child and the theology that they contained. Many contemporary songs have a strong theological basis - but they change so often the message is lost. Perhaps this is why so many songs go from Christian radio to church. I don't know....just a thought.

But I'm also curious, do you believe that there was a time when Baptist hymns were considered "contemporary" and not suitable for worship (i.e., was there a time when the introduction of hymns left others "out in the cold")? It just seems "regulative" really does not mean to worship ONLY as Scripture prescribes (nothing but instruments mentioned in the Bible for worship, no dedicated church building, bringing your own meal to the Lord's Supper, etc.). Even "regulative" becomes subjective at some point.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were many times when this debate has been had. Typically it was found in the more conservative Baptist churches. I hope our resident historian @rlvaughn may be able to help us out with some citations from Baptist history. There are some exclusive psalmody Baptist churches that eschew modern worship songs or even hymns. I may be mistaken, but I believe some of them are of the Primitive Baptist persuasion?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some 'Reformed Baptists' have latched onto the exclusive psalmody (singing paraphrased Psalms) contrivance from Presbyterianism.

Reformed Baptist Church of Topeka

Tom Chantry, historian of USA 'Reformed Baptists', explains his personal take on all this:

chantrynotes.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/preaching-from-the-choir/

#23 Jerome, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many old hymns were written in style contemporary for church music in the time they were written, to be accompanied by the instruments then in use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the "cottage prayer meeting" is closer to the house churches of the early NT era. I think as we move away from this the more worldly churches become. Worldly = everything from RCC church floor plans and decor to adrenaline driven hysteria confused with the move of the Spirit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It also seem churches are mimicking college campuses (including coffee shops, organizational merchandise, and book stores) - I wonder if in an effort to reach a population or marketing strategy.

Anyway, there is a sense that truth itself is subjective. A Senator (I can't remember which one) commented the other day that Mrs. Ford should be able to tell "her truth". That's something catching on in the church (and not what I was speaking of regarding individual worship expressions). People express themselves differently, have different styles of expression, and operate at various "emotional" (at least externally) levels. But God is still not a God of chaos and unbiblical practices are....well... unbiblical.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. It's an old argument. A tired old argument from an account that has no bearing on the decorum of Christian worship whatever, and didn't conform to the OT prescriptions, either. Who was David to lay his eyes on the Ark? He was not a priest. Why, when it came back to Israel from the Philistines, did not the priests insert the staves through the rings and bear it on their shoulders, as commanded, covered, back to the Tabernacle?

But what happens? David's dancing, people are jumping pews, and the next thing you know the oxen stumble and the Ark shifts and Uzza tries to catch it, and BOOM! He's dead. No more singin' and dancin'.

And we have no record of David dancing in the Tabernacle, nor at the door thereof. You want to go out to the back forty and dance in a Speedo to God, you go right ahead, but the there is an orderly decorum to be observed in the assembly.

8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like the Regulative Principle vs Normative Principle argument

The Normative is basically anything in worship is ok as long as the Bible does not forbid it. Martin Luther

The Regulative Principle basically says God has established what is acceptable in worship ie prayer, reading scripture, communion, giving $, singing, preaching. See Nadab and Abihu in Leviticus as well as Sauls sacrafice which invoked the fury of God ( God had not told them to do it. They usurped Gods acceptable plan of Worship).

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just stopped by and noticed this, so quickly (and hopefully can make it back later):

There was a time among the English Particular Baptists when congregational singing was controversial -- not just hymns, but singing, period. Baptist Music: To Sing or Not To Sing

I am not aware of any American Primitive Baptists who hold exclusive psalmody, though it wouldn't surprise me if some could be located. I do know one particular PB who created tunes to sing Psalms from the KJV text, but he wasn't an exclusive psalmodist. They also used Benjamin Lloyd's words-only hymn book. Most of the exclusive psalmodists of whom I am aware among Baptists are Reformed Baptists -- and probably influenced to that practice through the Reformed/Presbyterian tradition.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good information. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Urban legend.

Paul mentions psalms, hymns and odes. Omits dithyrambs.