1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AIDS and our churches

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 8, 2002.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In another forum,there is a rampant thread on homosexuality and Cracker Barrel.

And a long list of companies to not support if you are prone to boycott. I have boycotted quietly in the past and continue to boycott Disney by and large.

What really burns me up is not the fact that homosexuality is wrong, but the church's response to homosexuality and AIDS. What churchesh help AIDS victims? We do for so many other arenas. Why do we avoid AIDS and helping and befriending homosexuals, with the hope of leading them to God?

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

As far as I am aware the Seventh Day Adventist church are going into third world countries and providing medical assistance including those afflicted with AIDS. The non denominational group Compassion is also trying to help.

Some people in leadership situations in Australia have been quick to point out that AIDS is Gods punishment on Homosexuals. Forgetting the vast number that have been afflicted by rape or infected blood transfusions. It is hard to believe that there are a number of countries in which screening of blood does not occur.

Ideally one the proper way to control AIDS is to live the way the bible suggests. However as Christians we have a responsability to help feed the hungry, clothe the naked, help the sick and etc. For as we do unto the least of these, we do unto Jesus Christ.

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I agree, Ben. We are to go out and help those who are sick. Jesus didn't let someone's past stop Him from helping the person in question. Jesus, in all His vast knowledge, knew exactly what the person's life had been up until their meeting. Yet He didn't condemn these people, but rather reached out His hand to them. We need to do the same. Love the sinner without loving the sin. As you also point out, there are those who contract AIDS innocently enough through blood transfusions and/or rape. These people may have done nothing wrong which brought on the disease, yet they have it and they need help.

Saggy Woman, it is sad that most churches today do not want to help those in need. Jesus went to the sinners, meeting them on their level. He did this without once sinning in any way. Doesn't that say to us that we should do the same? I think so many Christians are afraid that they will be associated with the sin if they are seen with the sinner. But how are we to reach them if we don't go to them? Reaching out with the Gospel does not mean that we are condoning the sin or the sinner's way of life.

[ December 08, 2002, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Keith M ]

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

It shouldn't matter why a person is needy(whether or not that means finical, physical, mental whatever, aids) all that is to matter to us is that they are. We aren't to ask why when it comes to ministry, just do it.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've been involved in the past with a group called Project Angel Food, which is a civic organization that raises funds to offset the cost of AIDS healthcare. In this day, where HIV is pravalent in all socio-ethnic groups, finding a cure for this should, in my opinion, be a priority.

It is unfortunate that we as a community have allowed a disease to become slapped with a political label, for the liberal, moderate, and conservative alike.