1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Airports

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Su Wei, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Dr. Bob! Here i am again, blowing my own trumpet! [​IMG]

"Six awards in Sept for Changi Airport
    CHANGI Airport is giving its competition a run for the money: It has bagged six awards given out by aviation organisations and industry magazines so far this month.
    These include being named best airport in the world for the 13th straight year by readers of the Asia-Pacific edition of Business Traveller magazine.

The same group also voted it as having the best duty-free shopping.
    Readers of Travel Savvy, which is circulated mainly in the United States and in Britain, picked it as the best in the world, as did those surveyed by the British edition of Conde Nast Traveller, which has a circulation of about 83,000.

The magazine's rankings are recognised worldwide as a benchmark for the travel industry.

In a website posting, editors of Conde Nast Traveller said: 'If your flight is going to be late, you would rather be delayed at Singapore's Changi Airport...'"

The Straits TImes

Travel Savvy Magazine Best of Awards

2. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would love to hear airport stories!

I remember the airport in Medan, Indonesia. I guess it was more like a landing strip. A cat wandered into our customs queue. ;)

We were having a missions trip there. There are Malay speaking IFB Christians in Indonesia, amidst the sea of fundamentalist muslims. Pray for them!

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

6 hours at Gatwick one year. Dear Lord, help us all.

That helped us to figure it out this year when we had a 11 hour layover.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We had a special airport challenge a couple years back. Delta to Tel Aviv and our group all flew into Cincinnati. Great time, all sat together on flight to England where we were to change planes and on to Israel.

Catch? Landed in Gatwick and took off from Heathrow! Tour agency had just used city names so we all thought it would be a neat layover of a few hours then on to begin out tour.

NOT.

They DID have a bus rented (which we finally found after gathering luggage and searching around). Had to take a bypass motorway in heavy traffic at breakneck speed to get to the other airport to make connections.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, worst airport was Leonardo da Vinci (Rome). AlItalia (airline from hell) landed us there and we had to go through escalators up to customs room.

Customs closed (Italians need no reason) and room was packed. New flights coming in and people jamming in. Escalators kept running folks up, with no where to go. Many were hurt in the melee (think soccer fans up agains a fence).

Finally stopped the escalator, and customs opened. No food vendors, no way out for "transit" people. Our flight was overbooked and so we had from 8 am to 8 pm in the room.

So I simply led our group out, saying we had to take a tour. Exchanged money, got on a train to Ostia, then subway to the Colosseum. And came back to the airport like we belonged there and were let back into the high security room!

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I once had a connecting flight in Newark, NJ. It was a prop plane and the waiting area, which was below the main terminal, was jammed with people. They kept making announcements over the loudspeaker like this:

"Flight 2553 has been cancelled because no flight attendants have shown up."

Or

"Flight 7964 has been cancelled because the pilots are not here."

No further info would be given. I went to my gate twice but the people there were for another flight. They had taken some of them away in a bus to their plane but forgot these people, and someone was nervously calling for another bus to get these people on their plane before it took off!

My flight left about 2 hrs. late. Newark never again!

7. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, that's bizaare... :eek:

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Too often folks don't make it. We had a teen missions team last summer who arrived in Gatwick, flew out of Heathrow, arrived at LHR 20 minutes before their flight to Dublin, but were too late for security. Ten hours at LHR and one of the teen girls had a stomach virus which kept her throwing up all day.

9. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, all i can say is, if anyone's on their way to Australia or NZ, and have to stopover, do it at Singapore.... [​IMG]

stop-over passengers have a swimming pool, gym, starbucks, lots and lots of shopping, free internet, lots and lots of shopping, roof top cactus garden....

And the rest of singapore is great too. [​IMG]

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My son flew from Dublin to NZ and stopped in Singapore - didn't spend much time at the airport because he spent a day od two with friends there each way. He loved what he saw of the airport though, and LOVED Singapore.

11. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thank you! [​IMG]

here's a visit singapore site where visitors to singapore talk about their experiences here....

12. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

One time I was returning from Germany with US Airways to Philadelphia. There was so much snow that they cancelled the flight to Nashville. That worried me because I had to be at work the next day. Then they moved us to Charlotte, NC and the next flight to Nashville was on the next day. US Airways paid for our stay at a NC hotel, phone charges to call employer I would be late, breakfast, and ride to and fro hotel. That was very nice how they arranged that. Since the re-routing to Charlotte made the flight longer we even got more frequent flyer miles out of this. Then on Sunday morning we flew to Nashville. I was scheduled to be at work at 6:00 am and I drove from the airport straight to work and arrived at 8:55 am. My employer has a no-fault attendance policy which means when you're late you get a point. If you have 7n points you go home and you don't have to worry about coming back. But since the snow in Philadelphia was out of my control I did not get a point because this was considered an "act of nature". I for one think it is quite sickening that in the US - the self-proclaimed Christian nation - people by the thousands are required to work on Sundays. It is sickening to see all these popular preachers making a ruckus about posting the Ten Commandments and having school prayer, and supposed pro-family legislation, but really they are neglecting the real pro-family issues: Sunday sanctity, paid FMLA (my baby was in the hospital for 3 weeks in June and I couldn't afford FMLA, so they took my last vacation week and now I can't get time to see my parents), higher minimum wages, etc.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am sorry. I spent what seemed to be days at Heathrow.

Miami drove me insane as well.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My another airport experience was when I had a layover in Dallas, Tex and I went on a hot date, going out to eat with a male friend. Got back and thought I was late (if my plane had left, I would have missed it for sure) but thank God almighty, my flight had not left for some weird delay. I think GOd was holding the plane for me.