1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

alcohol and children

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have two teen daughters (one is about to turn 18). Both of them have been taught that alcohol is permissible when used responsibly. I've also taught them what "irresponsible" means: drunkenness, impairment, consuming alcohol for the purpose of getting buzzed, etc.

While I have on occaision consumed alcohol, I usually don't do so when my kids are present (The only exceptions to that was my wedding, when I had a Romulan Ale at my reception at Star Trek: The Experience; and Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas, when I will have a glass of wine with my meal, if offerred to me).

So far, my girls have expressed no desire to consume alcohol, let alone abuse it.

2. jw

jw New Member

I have two teen daughters (one is about to turn 18). Both of them have been taught that alcohol is permissible when used responsibly. I've also taught them what "irresponsible" means: drunkenness, impairment, consuming alcohol for the purpose of getting buzzed, etc.

While I have on occaision consumed alcohol, I usually don't do so when my kids are present (The only exceptions to that was my wedding, when I had a Romulan Ale at my reception at Star Trek: The Experience; and Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas, when I will have a glass of wine with my meal, if offerred to me).

So far, my girls have expressed no desire to consume alcohol, let alone abuse it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Very encouraging, thanks!

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well JW, since I started this thread, obviously I'm in the boat with you.

I also agree with you on the use of alcohol and have a cabinet full of different types of "flavorings", as we called it when our kids were too young to understand the significance of the bottles. We use it for cooking purposes, mostly as I have a very low tolorance for alcohol and my husband is a diabetic.

I have to say, my first conversation about alcohol didn't come from my own cabinet, but rather from some TV show or another where a drunk person was a character. The oldest was about 8 when she made the correlation between what the person was drinking and how they were behaving. That was the first of many conversations and she has a very negative view of alcohol use in spite of our use of it. She doesn't even like us having it in the house.