1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Algebra....Grrrrrrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Anyone else pulling their hair out trying to teach Algebra at home?

If I ever knew anything about it, I have forgotten all of it.

My grandson is a Freshman this year and we are having a bit of a problem. We use A.C.E. from the School of Tomorrow.

Does anyone have any online sources for making my life easier? :laugh:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Have you googled to see if there were any online resources?

We used Saxon with the DIVE CDs so it was pretty easy - plus DH is a math whiz. Wish I could help Sue!

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel your pain. My 6th grader's math is killing me already. Seems they changed the way I learned it as a kid. Ugh.

A homeschooling friend of ours uses Alpha & Omega's Switched on Schoolhouse. She says it is all on the computer and even grades the work for you, and you can buy only the subjects you want. Her kids seem to like it better than any thing else. I certainly plan to try it next year, at least for our oldest.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'll be there with you soon Sue. We plan on Chris starting Algebra in January, as he's ahead in math.

I'm thinking about using Teaching Textbooks Algebra, though. I have the Switched on Schoolhouse available, but I'm not sure I like the way it "flows". I gotta get him through to December first. He swears I'm killing him as I have him doing almost all of the SOS 8th grade math before Dec. Most of it is just review work though. (as in I'm not really killing him and he is capable of doing all this and more. He'd just rather spend more time playing video games. :rolleyes: )

If you get stuck on something, pm me (so I'll notice) and I'll try to help.

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

6. I Am Blessed 24

I called Lincoln Christian College and they are looking for a tutor for me. I should start receiving calls this week.

They only charge $8.00 an hour and one or two hours a week should do it...and it will be well worth it!

7. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Glad you are getting some help, Sue! I was planning on recommending some sort of video class for you until I read your last post. I know you are breathing a sigh of relief!!

I got A's in Algebra in high school (not in Algebra 2, Geometry, or Trig tho), but it was anything but my favorite subject, and so many years later when I was homeschooling I didn't remember much, so my husband took care of that class. Yay DH!!! :applause:

I don't know if you belong to a support group or have many homeschoolers in your church, but if you find you need more hours of help than you want to pay for per week, you might also check to see if any of those moms/dads might be able to help out as a supplement.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I have had numerous offers of help from church friends and other parents and some of my family, but I really hate to bother them.

It's all a moot point now anyway, as Brent has decided to go back and live with his mother in Wisconsin.

I am helping him pack. He will be leaving tonight or tomorrow morning. Very emotional day for the both of us. :(

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AGAIN?!?!?

:BangHead:

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I have one who is in 10th grade geometry.

Thankfully, she's pretty good at figuring stuff out. LOL While I can't do the work myself, for some reason I can explain it enough that she can grasp the concept and figure out the rest. (very weird, I couldn't pass math in college to save my life, and took 9th grade math in school four times to pass it and be able to graduate)

I've found that if you don't know how to do something and you look up a similar problem on the internet that already has the answer, you can sit there and figure out how they got that answer. It's much easier than reading the fifty page explanations that explain how to get to the answer! The only problem with that is that he HAS to know the steps, so hopefully he can figure them all out, because in college they will mark an answer wrong, even if it's correct, if you can't show how you got it and show it how THEY want you to show it. No room for actually using your own methods...dumb but true.

11. LorenB

LorenB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your local public school may have a homework helpline. It could be a valuable resource. And, it would be free!!!