1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All that the Father gives Me...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Jan 26, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

In my study of Colossians, I noticed a wonderful verse that probably has implication for Calvinist sotierology (study of salvation) as well. Ever read this verse and wonder what it meant exactly? John 6:37 -- "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." Who does the Father give to the Son?? And when will they come to Him?

Col 1:13 -- "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:" Who did God "deliver from darkness?" Believers like Paul ("us"). Believers whom God has justified, that is, given "the righteousness of God" to. We know that God first justifies believers in both Old and New Testaments, right? Then what does He do?

He "translates them into the kingdom of His dear Son." That is, they are reborn by the Holy Spirit with which to enter into the spiritual kingdom of Christ unto sanctification. Now if we bring this to a "finer" point --- we New Testament saints enter right into the kingdom in this life. But for the Old Testament saints, there was no kingdom of Christ yet. And there was only sheol, "Abraham's bosom," afterward.

So do you think that the Old Testament saints will ever be sanctified in their bodies by the Spirit unto Christ? "Translated" into that kingdom of the indwelt in Christ?? In their resurrection into the Millennial Kingdom of Christ ("resurrection of the just"), both the OT saints and those incompetent/innocent in the first life will "come to Him and them that come to Him (particularly infants, insane in the first life] He will in no wise cast out."

Do you see who God has "given" to the Son? Do you see how we come (by the Spirit) and when we come (when they are indwelt)? It sure gives me reassurance to see that we can know who it is that God gives to "His dear Son." Doesn't it you?

skypair

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree the OT saints went to Abraham's bosom but they also heard the gospel there.
    David said;
    Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
    Psa 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
    Luke wrote;
    Act 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
    Act 2:28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
    Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
    Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
    Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
    Act 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Until Christ paid the penalty for our sins OT believers were held in Abraham's bosom in Hell until Christ set them free. Abraham's bosom is said to be the grave by some and some say a separate compartment in hell. I believe it was really neither but the paradise where the thief met Christ and walked with him.
    Christ said ;
    Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    He also descended into the lower parts of the earth for the three days of His death. I believe these OT Saints are who was set free. When the Lord went there to conquer hell
    MB