1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Altar?????

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, May 15, 2003.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Probably The Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England as well as Lutheran sources. The Church of England as well as Lutherans generaly view their church altars as only a symbol of the throne of God where the Lord's Supper is celebrated. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks, but if you go back to my original post, I am trying to reconcile altars in churches with membership that does not believe that their particular denomination came out of the Catholic Church.

The Church of England and Lutherans admit that they came out of the Catholic Church. Their altars are a traditon carried forward from the split. As the years passed their theology changed to a point where they decided that it is symbolic.

I am interested in sects that claim no common history with the Catholic Church. When was an altar introduced into a Baptist church for the forst time? And what was the reaction? Wouldn't it have been a discourse on the "one sacrifice for all time", so a resounding NO to an altar.

But they are there.

It strikes me as humorous that in such churches the "altar" becomes the "Lord's Table" for the short time that they have the "Lord's Supper".

I imagine if someone were to slip up and refer to that table as an "altar" during the "Lord's Supper", the pastor would pop a blood vessel.

Ron

2. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Trying2understand,
    Altars are not a Catholic invention! They started with Noah, Genesis 8:20. It was with Moses and the tabernacle that Altars were formalized. So who did the Catholics get the idea? From scripture that predated the Catholic church by several thousand years.

Next question: Where did the Protestants get the idea? Same Scripture the Catholics did! How do the Protestants use an Altar? The same way the Catholics us one! It is symbolism, pure and simple! Therefore the issue becomes moot!

Do you mean to tell us that the Catholics still offer real blood sacrifices on their altars, but that The CoE and the Lutherans do not but keep the symbol of the altar? That is pure fiction of the highest order! The Catholics have NOT offered blood sacrifice EVER! True they have done their share of blood-letting and blood spilling, but they have not offered up blood sacrifices to God.

3. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Substantive discussion is not based on ad hominum attacks or perjoratives. The issue at hand is not the failures of the individuals of in the Church, but why a Baptist, who does not believe in a continuing sacrifice, ever present in eternity and made present in time by the actions of the validly ordained priest, would have an "altar" in the first place?

Technically speaking, an "altar call" in a Baptist assembly is an oxymoron. For a proper altar call, one must come forward with a sacrifice, which involves blood.

It would be nice if those non catholics present here would stick to doctrinal issues in discussions. If you wish to discuss the moral failures of clergy OF ALL KINDS, STRIPES, and DENOMINATIONS, please start a separate thread.

Cordially in Christ,

Brother Ed

4. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Substantive discussion is not based on ad hominum attacks or perjoratives. The issue at hand is not the failures of the individuals of in the Church, but why a Baptist, who does not believe in a continuing sacrifice, ever present in eternity and made present in time by the actions of the validly ordained priest, would have an "altar" in the first place?</font>[/QUOTE]As a Christian in spirit, residing in a body of flesh, I must sacrifice myself daily. My flesh wants to do sinful things every day and in every way. I must put my own desires on the altar, sacrificing that which could bring great pleasure and temporal satisfaction. So I do truly, and symbolically, place my life of flesh and blood on the symbolic altar of sacrifice. The Apostle Peter declares that believers are Priests, and that collectively we are a Kingdom of Priests. Therefore we have the authority to perform Spiritual sacrifices, and we do so at whatever altar we determine to be suitable for such sacrifice. It may be the pew one is sitting in. It may be the pulpit from which the Gospel message is heard. It may be a kneeling place at the front of the church sanctuary, it may be a prayer room off to one side of the pulpit area, It may be in one's automobile, beside one's bed, in one's closet, it matters little to the spirit where such spiritual sacrifice is made.

Your statement indicates that you fail to understand that which is spiritual vs that which is physical. When one comes forward, they are generally giving themselves in sacrifice over to Jesus. That is a deep personal sacrifice, that of giving up "self control" in exchange for "Jesus control" (Holy Spirit control). Your statement indicates that you do not believe in spiritual matters, and that the "Catholic Church" is all there is with authority to receive sacrifices. Such sacrifices as you describe ended for Christians with Jesus' self sacrifice on the cross.

Unfortunately, Brother Ed, that is not the nature of BBS systems that are open to everyone. If you want such you must find a closed BBS, that is one that is only open to certain individuals. You could ask the WEBMASTER to create a forum for Catholics only, where the participants must declare that they are died in the wool Catholics in order to register. But then again, there are Catholic only BBSs, I don't know the URLs to them perhaps some others will post a few of them for you.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

6. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

DHK --

Hmmmmmmmmm........you may be right. Are you referring to the meal offerings and flour offerings in the OT? Certainly my statement needs to be further investigated.

My initial thought would be that the blood offerings in the Scriptures have to do with the covenant and our continuously being kept in that covenant. Not all sins break our covenantal relationship with God, therefore, there are most likely sin offerings to God which are not of a covenantal nature, thus do not require blood.

Let me try to check it out and get back to you.

Cordially in Christ and the Blessed Virgin,

Brother Ed