1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Am I in sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Born Again

Born Again Member

All I can say is what i said earlier but it will get spun again I'm sure.

If drinking is such a controversial subject (as is obvious by reading any thread here regarding the subject) and causes us to belittle and laugh at one another as brothers and sisters in Christ on these threads, how more so foolish do we appear in the eyes of nonbelievers when we do as they do and act as they do? Shouldn't we be an example to separate ourselves from the world rather than being a part of the world that's just looking for an excuse to justify their behavior?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

The underlined sections are what give weakness to your statement.

You are automatically assuming either that (a) anything that is controversial should be avoided at all costs, or (b) that "do as they do" is bad in every situation...which it obviously isn't...we drive cars, we have jobs, we go to little-league baseball games, we eat hamburgers.

In this case, the "Do as they do" is partaking of something that is mentioned in scripture numerous times as a blessing from God, but one that is not to be used in excess.

We are to Separate ourselves from the world IN THE WAYS PRESCRIBED IN SCRIPTURE...not in every way we can imagine.

3. Born Again

Born Again Member

So you're saying it's okay if I partake of the controversial just as long as it's not in excess or forbidden in God's Word while witnessing to a lost person with my Bible in hand? Just want to make sure I'm using the proper witnessing etiquette while trying to save the lost.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Exactly. You would think that all Christendom would be running in the opposite direction from this behavior that has caused so much damage.

We are quick to say "we don't want no gay scout leaders cause of what they might influence the kids to do" but we're even quicker to defend our right to drink and influence the same kids to partake of something that leads to more destructive behavior.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know, heaven forbid if he saw me as just a regular human being .

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That begs the question, who says its controversial? Not the bible! Im sure Jesus was pretty controversial with the pharisees manmade vices too.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what exactly is it that you are afraid of that your running away? Did Christ run away from the Tax Collectors, The Harlots, the Pharisees, The Romans? No he did not, he faced them, was criticized for eating & drinking with them, allowing them to wash his feet.

If you run in the opposite direction you will never ever touch the flesh of Christ because it is there residing with the sinful, waiting for someone to tell them about Christ. However you want to run away, you want to sit with the same type of individual that you are, all the time knowing you have been COMMANDED to go out into the world Mark 6:12-13

King James Version (KJV)

12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

13 And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

Mark 4:21-23

21 Also He said to them, “Is a lamp brought to be put under a basket or under a bed? Is it not to be set on a lampstand? 22 For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light. 23 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.”

8. Born Again

Born Again Member

Did Jesus collect tax with the tax collectors? Did Jesus perform sexual favors with the harlots? Did Jesus join the Roman army?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So whats your big problem with drinking....obviously you consider it a sin.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Taken one part at a time for clarity...

1. It is OK to do things that might be controversial, if they are done in faith, and in obedience to God's word...ie, a preacher might use a "D" word to describe the condemned state of an unrepentant sinner...a Preacher might show kindness to a homosexual, even though he knows most of his parishoners would shun the man...He might tell the homosexual he needs to repent, even though it might cost him a friend...He might eat a Baconator because he knows he is not living a glutonous lifestyle, and God says all foods are to be recieved with thanksgiving. He might see wine in a similar way.

2. Yes, I'm saying that God has told us what sin is...we don't need to add to God's list. He has also specifically told us some things that are blessings and gifts from him...food and "wine", "aged wine", and even "strong drink" are among these.

3. "Having a Bible in my hand" does not automatically make something a sin that wasn't a sin before I picked the bible up.

4. There is not a proper witnessing etiquite. If drinking alcohol is a sin, it is a sin whether you are witnessing or not. If it's not...witnessing doesn't change it. Though If you are witnessing at a AA meeting...probably better leave the beer at home.

That said, I don't drink. I think it's the wisest choice for me at this time.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait I am not teaching teetotalism as I myself find no harm in drinking a Mikes Hard lemonade. But Mikes lemonade is only 2.5% alcohol and nothing this warehouse serves is that low. The pastor at my new church has not studied things out as he teaches teetotalism, yet in a conversation with him he was unwilling to look at both sides of the debate, and he was ignorant on the different types of alcoholic drinks and lumps them all one and the same.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a legalistic teetotalist like those in my present church. However I am against Beer. I am only in favor of Mikes Lemonade and some types of wines

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/8-health-benefits-of-drinking-wine

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what should I do then? Miss paying my credit cards? No I will work there until I get let go (unemployment) or I find another job. Its hard finding a job when I work till 4:30pm each day.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Curios as to why? Its not the APV that makes it sinful, its consuming enough to become drunk. The wine Jesus drank quadrupled the 2.5% in a MHL

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, nice try. Ain't nobody here afraid. And you have no idea what Christ drank with them.

Sounds like you're just trying to justify YOUR vice onto Christ. Not indulging in things that may cause someone to stumble ain't got a thing to do with anyone running in the opposite direction.

Jesus draws men unto Himself. And as more of HIM, and not our vices are allowed to shine through, people are drawn to it.

And your situation might be different, but the unsaved folks that I speak to like the fact that someone is talking to them who actually appears to not be doing the same things that they are.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have him give me a call....I will straighten that dude out :laugh:

In all sincerity, Ive worked with the chronic alcoholic & drug addict for too many years not to know both sides of the story cold. The guy is just putting his head in the sand by not facing the side of the issue that is human frailty. There will always be circumstances where people drink & suffering the consequences.....that will never be completely eradicated. On another note, there will always be those who can handle an occasional alcoholic beverage without any disastrous effects. People could even use it as a form of socialization & relaxation ....even to face to face with the non believer & bring them to Christ......Ive done it & so has Webdog so.....

17. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why are you particularly against beer? Alcohol level? You do know that at 2.5%, two of your lemonade equal the standard ale...

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Precisely.:applause:

One might even venture that because they had already assumptively called Him a winebibber, that He probably wouldn't want to do anything that would give the appearance of evil.

19. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Born Again you have some good answers. :wavey:

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What evidence do you have to persuade those that disagree with you whom claim the wine in Jesus's time did not have alcohol?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.