1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amalek

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Jan 6, 2016.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this present time I am reading Gleanings in Exodus by Pink and I've come upon an interesting illustration of Amalek... If you want to see the whole illustration you can download it on the internet as Gleanings in Exodus pdf which is what I did or if you happen to have the book even better. The following is taken from Chapter 25, Exodus 17, Page 130... The reason I posted this here is because in Amalek and his nature the author mentions total depravity and that is to me a biblical doctrine embraced by the Calvinist brethren... As always comments are greatly appreciated and encouraged... Do you agree or disagree the illustration Pink gives of Amalek?... Brother Glen

"And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword." The "sword" hero points to the Holy Scriptures (see Hebrews 4:12). It is not by prayer alone that we can fight the flesh. The Word, too, is needed. Said the Psalmist, "Thy Word have I hid in mine heart that I might not sin against Thee" (Ps. 119:11). Some may object to what we have just said above about the Christian fighting the flesh. We are not unmindful of Romans 6:11 and 2 Timothy 2:22 and much that has been written thereon. But there are scriptures which present other phases of our responsibility. There is a fight to be fought (see 1 Timothy 6:12; 2 Timothy 4:7 etc,). And this fight has to do with the flesh. Said the Apostle, "So fight I, not as one that beateth the air; but I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection" (1 Cor. 9:26; 27).
    Another thing which is important to note here is the fact that Amalek was not destroyed or completely vanquished on this occasion. We only read that "Joshua discomfited Amalek." Here too, the type is in perfect accord with the antitype. There is no way of destroying or eradicating the evil nature within us. Though discomforted it still survives. Why, it may be asked, does God permit the evil nature to remain in us? Many answers may be given, among them these. That we may obtain a deeper and personal realization of the awful havoc which sin has wrought in man. the total depravity of our beings, and thereby appreciate the more the marvelous grace which has saved such Hell-deserving wretches. That we may be humbled before God and made more dependent upon Him. That we may appropriate to ourselves His all-sufficient grace and learn that His strength is made perfect in our weakness, That we may appreciate the more His keeping-power, for left to ourselves, with such a sink of iniquity within, we should surely perish.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely Amalek represents our sins. We are to strike them down before the Lord (1 Sam. 15:33) and show no mercy to them.

But we never quite get rid of them in this life. David battled with then all day and all night but he still couldn't quite destroy them (1 Sam. 30:17).