1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ambassadors the same as Witness ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Dec 28, 2006.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, all.
    In another thread in this forum, Brother Pistos said the following:

Do you agree ?
    If so, why ?
    If not, why not ?

Bible dictionaries define an ambassador is one sent and authorized to represent a sovereign power or a country.
    On the other hand, Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words says of the word witness as used in the Bible, including the Scripture cited by Pistos, which I highlighted in red:

Let me illustrate the difference as I see it.

Pastor A is called by a church to pastor that church. He is one who is an ambassador for Christ, to that church, declaring God's word to that Church, preaching and teaching according as the Holy Spirit gives him wisdom.

The church members do not have the ambassadorial status of Pastor A.

However, both Pastor A and the church members are witnesses for Christ to the community in which they are at. Their lives are to declare their faith in the Christ they call and present as Savior. In times of persecution from others, they are to stand as martyrs (marturos) for Christ, just as the disciples to whom Christ declared those words in Acts 1:8 became martyrs for Christ.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You declare "He is one who is an ambassador for Christ". Please give the scripture that leads you to believe this about your hypothetical situation. What scripture declares this pastor an ambassador for Christ?

1Cr 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

1Cr 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Eph 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

Phl 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

1Th 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

"followers"-(mimetes {mim-ay-tace'}Gk)-1) an imitator

Should I exclude representing(ambassadorship) Jesus Christ to others as I imitate Paul, God, Jesus Christ?

God Bless! :thumbsup:

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry! Baptist Only.....:tear:

Bye-bye...:wavey:

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If authority is the defining element of "ambassadorship" what of the royal priesthood of believers?

Are we not kings and priests?

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:​

Revelation 1
    5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
    6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.​

Does the authority of the priest-king of the kingdom of Christ qualify the recipient as "ambassador"?

Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:​

HankD​

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An "ambassador" is certainly not limited to the "pastor". It is a role for EVERY believer, just as being a "witness".

While not synonyms, they are both descriptive nouns of all of us.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't think you can understand Pauls use of the word without considering part B of the verse;

2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

I agree with Dr. Bob, "While not synonyms, they are both descriptive nouns of all of us."

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please expand a little bit more, and show that your interpretation is exactly what Paul is saying in Scripture with regards to every believer being an ambassador. How does the noun desribe all of us ?
    Thank you.