1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An argument against 7 translations by a former KJVO

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Dec 30, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't have an hour to watch this, I looked it up on Youtube, knowing the comments would give the list of Bibles he is against.

So here they are:

[1] The New World Translation [NWT]
    [2]The Muslim Translations
    [3] The Passion Translation
    [4] The New Revised Standard Version [updated edition]
    [5] The Tree of Life Version
    [6] The Message
    [7] The King James = "without a careful consideration that English has changed" In other words - he said King James Onlyism

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each of those 7 cited [post #1] by Mark Ward are with qualifications as to why. He gives specific case issues for each.

Personally I would cite. "The New English Bible." Re: NT, 1961. OT, 1970.

Genesis 11:1, ONCE UPON A TIME all the world spoke a single language and used the same words. . . .

Psalms 22:16, The huntsmen all about me; a band of ruffians rings me round, and they have hacked off my hands and my feet. . . .

#4 37818, Dec 30, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the "Reader's Digest Version", Scarlett (pun intended).

I stay clear of speciality Bible versions like the "Passion" or "Tree of Life" versions.

"The Message" is a speciality version but has its place, qualified by a note from the pastor/translator in the Preface (so very few people ever read a Preface).

The Message is a reading Bible. It is not intended to replace the excellent study Bibles that are available. My intent here (as it was earlier in my congregation and community) is simply to get people reading it who don’t know that the Bible is read-able at all, at least by them, and to get people who long ago lost interest in the Bible to read it again. But I haven’t tried to make it easy—there is much in the Bible that is hard to understand. So at some point along the way, soon or late, it will be important to get a standard study Bible to facilitate further study. Meanwhile, read in order to live, praying as you read, “God, let it be with me just as you say.”
    —Eugene H. Peterson​

Rob

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I oppose them, too, especially the Mess…, for that is what it is. It doesn’t even resemble Scripture. It’s NOT a translation; it’s a man’s very biased opinion of what he wants the Bible to say.

If I was shipwrecked on a deserted island with it, I would burn it for firewood.

7. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://www.thenivbible.com/about-the-niv/history-of-the-niv/

One Man’s Vision for the NIV
    Howard Long, an engineer from Seattle, was known for his passion for sharing the gospel and his love for the King James Bible. One day, he tried sharing Scripture with a non-Christian—only to find that the KJV’s 17th-century English didn’t connect.

In 1955, Long embarked on a ten-year quest for a new Bible translation that would faithfully capture the Word of God in contemporary English. Eventually his denomination, the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), and the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) embraced his vision for the NIV.

Evangelicals Unite for a New Bible Translation
    In 1965, a cross-denominational gathering of evangelical scholars met near Chicago and agreed to start work on the New International Version. Instead of just updating an existing translation like the KJV, they chose to start from scratch, using the very best manuscripts available in the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic of the Bible.

One year later, their decision was endorsed by a gathering of 80 evangelical ministry leaders and scholars. And so the Committee on Bible Translation (CBT), the self-governing body responsible for the NIV, was born.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why would anyone present a list of bad translations and not include the NIV. It is a creation from the Reformed mind? Among the host of bad translations, it might be the very worst, IMO.

Another question; who believes that God desires that unsaved men understand his scriptures, which is his mind, if they have not been born again by the gospel. The gospel is contained in the scriptures but it is not confined to the scriptures. The gospel is to be preached that unsaved men might hear and believe and be converted. The New Testament church began without a written Bible. It began with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It grew from the preaching of men who saw Jesus after he rose from the dead and the means of it's growth has been converted men preaching to unsaved men ever since.

The holy Scriptures gives their worth in 2 Tim. 3.

1 Thess 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
    8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
    10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

He did not say "obey not the scriptures, he said obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ."

This means one needs a preacher and salvation before he needs a Bible.

2 Thessalonians 2:10-13
    10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
    11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
    12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

I personally think that creating new translations is going to be in the same conversation with going to the lake of fire for some creators.

The scriptures are a Jewish culture proposition. It is different from ours. How will one update that?

1 Cor 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.