1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured An attempt to let Science interpret Scripture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to be sure, is it your contention that Hagar and Sarah were not real individuals? That the events were not historical?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such as ....?

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Your post basically expresses my thought and why I used the expression:
    Theistic evolution has all the facets of evolution except time and chance are replaced by deity.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no theistic evolutionists say the two cannot be reconciled and think theistic evolutionists are foolish and have no credibility.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

One of the things that is funny about this thread is the title.

Science interpret Scripture??

NO!!!

NEVER!!!

God FORBID!!!

Science just means knowledge. And I really do think that the poster exposed and inadvertently admitted his fatal flaw in this Freudian slip.

He does not use knowledge when he interprets Scripture.

A further point would be that we use hermeneutics to properly interpret the Scripture. We don't just interpret it willy-nilly any way we feel.

There is a proper WAY to interpret Scripture. We have to get our hermeneutics right.

Do you remember what hermeneutics is?

It is the SCIENCE of interpreting Scripture.

Science.

SCIENCE.

The SCIENCE of interpreting scripture.

Oh, how I wish more people would use science to interpret Scripture!

This debate probably would not exist.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people really need to think before they post. Good grief:BangHead:

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Now those are some wise words. Perhaps everyone should consider this.

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I in no post I have posted anywhere have ever said anything evolved.

I believe God created the heavens and the earth. I believe in six periods of twenty four hours each God renewed the heavens and the earth and on the sixth period of twenty four hours he created Adam in his own image for the purpose of, in the fullness of time to send his Son into this renewed system of order, born of woman taken from the man created in his image, for the purpose of death in order to destroy him who has the power of death that is the devil, thus redeeming that which had succumbed to that power unto himself. Reconciled.

BTW REV I though about it before posting.

#48 percho, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know what he meant. He meant what the institutions of science mean when they say "science." They mean Naturalism.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously anyone who has to have the explained to them is either thoughtless or just could not reasonably contribute to a thread Forest Gump created

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I assume you believe in the "Gap Theory".

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes sir, I have so stated. I also believe in the literal seven, twenty four hour days, of which the darkness of Satan or the light of God may be walked in.

I also believe that God must turn us from the darkness unto the light.

I would like your thoughts on my post to you in post 32 I think it was concerning those scriptures. And BTW the way in my opinion all this is for discussion. I will judge no man for his thoughts concerning our thoughts concerning the scriptures. I want God judging myself and all others because I understand I may not be right.

#52 percho, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  13. thisnumbersdisconnected

How does this indicate an indeterminate separation of time between v. and v. 2? That escapes me.

'asah does not appear in Exodus 20:8, which is the commandment of the Sabbath. The word does appear in Exodus 34:10 -- as well as 268 other times in the book. In Exodus 34:10, the NASB translates it "perform," for example. In Psalm 34:16, it is translated "evildoers." How could this multifaceted word convince you of anything regarding the false "gap theory"?

#53 thisnumbersdisconnected, Nov 22, 2013
  14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you caught that. Sorry I meant Ex 20:11 where, "`asah," is used relative to the heavens and the earth.

The asah there in Ex. 20:11 referring to the renewing of the heavens and earth from 2 thru 31 of Gen 1, contrasted to bara' being used in verse 1 of Gen 1 of the creation of the heavens and the earth.

OR in post 23 used Ex 20:11 to show the six days of Gen 1 to cover 1-31 whereas I believe other than those things shown in those verses as saying they were specifically created as man the rest was a making, or renewing of something previously created.

#54 percho, Nov 22, 2013
  15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Sorry, Percho, but that proves nothing. Both words have been translated "perform," "accomplish," "make," "made," etc. The fact that Moses chose a different word in Exodus 20:11 than he did in Genesis 1:1 is not significant.

Perhaps you would be interested in the post Aaron put up on News/Current Events.

Nuclear Physicist Embraces Biblical Creation

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I did not say it proved anything. One word is found 54 times in the word and is translated 43 times create the other is found over 2600 times in the word and is never translated as create.

I believe there is a profound difference in the two words especially relative to the heavens and the earth and also Adam and any thing else relative to bara.