1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured An Example of Government Overreach

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should GM's CEO Barra have been called to testify or was this also overreaching?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barra was called in because during the time that GM was putting out known defects, but not disclosing those defects, they were doing so using government funding (remember the bailout?).

In that regard, shouldn't Congress call GM in to explain how they were redressing the poor use of taxpayer money?

If you're going to try to use situational analogies, please try to use ones that are at least somewhat analogous to the discussion.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals always have problems making legitimate comparisons. Not sure why.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was simply curious Rev what your stance is on her being called. You seemed to support the idea that no one should be called before a congressional committee.

Why do you believe it was good to call her and not Oz. Health was/is involved in both testimonies.

Yes, I think she should have to testify.
    Yes I think it is fine for Oz to have to testify.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It does seem silly for Congress to be involved in this when you'd think they had so many more important things to do than this grandstanding show.

However, if you're a "conservative", you should want COngress to stick to the Constitution. And one of the enumerated powers given to Congress says To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

This deals specifically with interstate commerce which Congress does have oversight of.

But I'd think if they were serious, they'd be dealing specifically with the COMPANIES who are doing this and not Dr. Oz.

I guess attaching a big name and adding some hearings makes it look like they are working.

How many times do people have to be told that there is no magic diet pill but that there has to be a combination of good diet and exercise? Sure, it's technically truthful to say you can lose weight without diet and exercise. But it comes back with a vengeance if you stop taking the magic pill and don't fix your diet and exercise.

#25 Zaac, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014