1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An observation regarding Passion critics....

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by All about Grace, Mar 8, 2004.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I have been involved in multitudes of internet forum and personal one-on-one discussions regarding "The Passion of the Christ" and I have discovered a bit of an ironic trend among Christians discussing this movie from a negative viewpoint, viz., those who are most vocally opposed to the movie are either: moderate-to-liberal in their theology OR far right fundies.

Who would have thought something like this movie would bring together two polar opposite groups for different reasons.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I am neither.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Am opposed and neither of those categories fit me.

Mod-libs consider me right wing and right wing fundies think I am a liberal.

4. firedome

firedome New Member

C4K,

I believe what is being said here is that all Baptist's other than the SBCers oppose this film. Thereby making the SBCers the only right baptist's.

Maranatha,
    Rodney

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Wow, where did you get that?

6. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

I have noticed, that the people rejecting this movie are mostly Berean types, who search the Scriptures to see if it is so, who come from all different backgrounds, and are concerned more about what God says, and less about what men say. They also tend to reject, not embrace the ecumenical lie.

7. All about Grace

Perhaps it makes you feel good to think this but as always ... straw men burn easier.

8. All about Grace

Where is that "what in the world are you talking about" graemlin when needed???? :rolleyes:

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Reading profiles might help, Rodney!

Diane

10. firedome

firedome New Member

AMEN and AMEN!

11. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Yes, let's do profiling and criticize those who are repulsed by a heretical, non-biblical, irreverent Jesus movie made by a mentally disturbed anti-Semitic person who loves ultra-violent films...

...I have never attacked anyone who loves and raves about this film. I just state what I believe to be inaccurate and offensive in it.

I'd like to see a pro-Passion person list all the things in this film that are strictly accurate Biblically. We have stated repeatedly where the errors, nonsense, and heresies are.

Now, where are the Biblical accuracies?

What we hear is generally, "it was stunning," "I wept into my popcorn," "now I really appreciate what Jesus suffered," "great evangelism tool."

Never hear, "it was so reverent and faithful to the revealed Word of God" nor "it made me see the victory Christ gained over sin, death, and satan," nor "now I realize my powers and responsibilities and glory as a born again child of God seated in the heavenlies with Christ."

He forgot to emphasize the Resurrection and Ascension. Not violent or gory enough for Mel to waste time and money on, I suppose.

[​IMG]

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An awful lot of the objections I've read (no, I'm not gonna hunt them down for those who say "show me", just my observations) are of the same character of "if it ain;t in the Bible, it's wrong"; further, based on this argument you should be against autos, planes, ice cream, Hardees, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

"If it ain't in the Bible" can be misused just as easily as quoting scripture out of context.

EXAMPLE:
    Joh 8:3a And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery;----

Luk 10:37b--- Go, and do thou likewise.

Ridiculous? Sure, but the only difference is that this example is an extremely obvious mis-use of quotes while most are far more subtle & therefore more dangerous!

Just study the objections & see if you don't agree that many, if not most, are man-made problems rather than scriptural.

13. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Just show me where The Passion faithfully presents biblically accurate scenes and dialogue.

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting that people are getting saved after going to see this film. If churches criticise the film, are they churches that are getting people saved into their own churches?

I visited the Church of God Seventh Day Boards and there was pages and pages condemming the Passion Film, yet it struck me that this group relies on getting sunday christians as members rather than actually evangalising themselves.

Just a Coincedence?

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Shall I find and requote what you said about your pastor?

Diane

16. vaspers

vaspers New Member

diane: That was no attack, it was concern for a bizarre and frightening act by a supposed "man of God."

Yes, by all means, quote it. Quote it all you want. Maybe others will be on guard for such things should they, God forbid, occur in people they know and trust.

My "pastor" shouted filthy things at me in a public restaurant because I questioned his filthy talk and screen images in church, and probably due also to my questioning The Passion film, which was a topic during that meeting, but we were discussing his explicit descriptions of perverted sex in sermons when he blew up demonically at me.

If Christians cannot be possessed, then I guess maybe a "pastor" who acts very much like he is demonized or in league with unclean spirits in his vocal chords, maybe their being a real Christian is suspect. I dunno.

I leave such questions with more advanced students of spiritual warfare.

All I know, is diane, you are a modest and decent Christian woman. You would have been appalled and insulted by what that "pastor" said. I'm sure of it. Be glad you weren't there.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. All about Grace

You are arguing a moot point here. Most of the criticism against the film has not been that it contains no "biblically accurate scenes and dialogue." I have yet to read a critic who has seen the movie who makes this argument. The criticism most often comes from what is "added" to the movie that is Gibson's own interpretation or addition. A large portion of the film is direct quotes and scenes from Scripture. Thus to list them would be lengthy and pointless.

18. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Okay, I'll give you some examples. I've got bigger fish to fry, so I'll be brief:

1. Satan appears as a woman, or womanly entity. (This should upset feminists or women in general. Bible never says satan appears female.)

2. Satan appears in Gethsemane, whereas Bible says an angel appeared to comfort Jesus.

3. Many sub-titles of dialogue are not what are found in the Bible records, too many to relate now, check it out yourself.

4. Jesus dangling on a chain from a cliff.

5. Mary kissing feet of dead or dying Jesus.

6. Jesus apparently leaving tomb naked, when women were in vicinity.

Biblical inaccuracy is never a "moot point" for those who love God's Word, which gave us faith and the new birth, being born again by the engrafted word which is able to save our souls.

Tell me, I repeat again, the "direct quotes and scenes from Scripture." Name a handful if you can. I'm listening. Gotta go. Be back later tonight if possible. Got other work to do on computer.

God bless us all, pro- or anti- Passion film. There is only One Body of Christ, One Spirit, One Lord. Praise God.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Actually this isn't true.

20. All about Grace

Vaspers,

Your above post just supported my previous one. Go back and read slowly and maybe you will get what I said.

Just to satisfy your request -- I remember nothing in Jesus' dialogue with Pilate & Pilate's dialogue with the crowd in John 18-19 that is omitted, but again, this is not the issue for the critics. This issue is what is added.