1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Overreaction

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by adisciplinedlearner, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

It is funny, but I believe exactly how you have stated it. I believe that God requires us to progressively sanctify our lives and I believe it is part of the salvation given us. It does not grant justification because that has occurred. However, I don't confuse one aspect of salvation (justification) with another aspect of salvation (sanctification) but place them in their proper order and relationship without denying either. HOwever, You do not.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then your very last sentence is absolutely wrong.

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Notice the one change of word between your explanation and mine! You consistently use the term "salvation" which is a very broad term that takes in a large territory from election to glorification and obviously election and glorificaiton are not synonyms but are distinct and separate aspects under the general unbrella term "salvation." The one word change between your statement and mine is where are difference lies and is the reason for my last sentence. I substituted "justification" for your chosen term "salvation" in the next to the last sentence in your explanation or the sentence preceding your statement "However, you do not."

Why? Because I distinguish things that differ under the large unbrella term of "salvation." Progressive sanctification and justification are as different as "election" and "glorification" and to confuse them is to distort the truth about "salvation."

I do not deny progressive sanctification, I simply deny it is a synonym with justification by faith. I do not deny "glorification" but I do deny it is a synonym with "election" and yet all FOUR (and much more) are under the unbrella term and inclusive in "salvation."

#43 Dr. Walter, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  4. billwald

billwald New Member

Dr. Walter is probably the clearest thinking/writing person on this list and his writing is good deductive logic. Deductive logic is always correct if each statement in the syllogism is correct. His post, copied below, is logically correct.

There is a problem on this list with people giving words more than one meaning and confusing classifications and categories. This is very common with right wing Presbyterians such as Greg Bahnsen (RIP). I find that Venn Diagrams are very useful for understanding complicated arguments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

The 7th diagram on page three (left column) below illustrates what Dr W is getting at.

http://www.google.com/images?client...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CC8QsAQwAA&biw=1264&bih=576

>Notice the one change of word between your explanation and mine! You consistently use the term "salvation" which is a very broad term that takes in a large territory from election to glorification and obviously election and glorificaiton are not synonyms but are distinct and separate aspects under the general unbrella term "salvation." The one word change between your statement and mine is where are difference lies and is the reason for my last sentence. I substituted "justification" for your chosen term "salvation" in the next to the last sentence in your explanation or the sentence preceding your statement "However, you do not."

>Why? Because I distinguish things that differ under the large unbrella term of "salvation." Progressive sanctification and justification are as different as "election" and "glorification" and to confuse them is to distort the truth about "salvation."

>I do not deny progressive sanctification, I simply deny it is a synonym with justification by faith. I do not deny "glorification" but I do deny it is a synonym with "election" and yet all FOUR are under the unbrella term and inclusive in "salvation."

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Correction

The diagram I want is labeled "British+venn+diagram.gif"

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Sanctification is but a few times mentioned in the NT; but even in those few times is it directly attributed and attributable to Christ in Christ in our stead, just like jutification. Even at their sanctification, the saved stand before God with bowed down head in all humility and self-regret.

The highest a man can attain in holiness and righteousness is beneath the feet of the crucified Jesus.

I am convinced our sanctification both in principle and eminence actually precedes our justification. In other words, our names are written in the Book of Life, Jesus Christ, from before the foundation of the world or our creation or recreation. We are justified because we from everlasting were sanctified in Jesus Christ to be saved eternally.

7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

We are "set apart" by God before the foundation of the world "in Christ" by His eternal purpose of election. We are set apart by God in time by regeneration and then positionally in justification by belief of the truth followed by our life of service.

However, as you have said the "good fruits" of a good tree did not change the "bad" tree into a good tree nor were they instrumental in that change as that is as impossible in the natural realm as it is in the supernatural realm.

Faith saves no one nor does it justify anyone before God, it is the object of what faith is placed "IN" that justifies not what is produced "by" faith.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:
    It's absolutely wonderful to agree so absolutely! Praise God and give Him THANKS!