1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

And The Pulpits Are Silent

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In answer to your whole post I addressed then in the broad way he stated them. If he had specifics in mind he should have made them clear. If he isn't going to be specific I cannot answer them in any other way. The liberal left is to be opposed in most cases. And i doubt you know what goes on in conservative churches all the time. Your assertion is a lie the liberla left tells quite often. The left talks about it. Waits for the government to do something about it. And all the while conservatives are out on the streets doing something about it. Without the aid of government.

2. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

The ignorance (of both reality and of Scripture) displayed in most of your original comments makes a mockery of the church. They were just not true! You should just own up to your mistake and not make it again.

As for the rest of your comments, no one is under any duty to you to be specific. People talk in general terms all the time. If you want more specifics do something novel... ask for them.

I do know what goes on in conservative churches. I am a member of one, and have been a member of and involved in various conservative ministries and churches since I was a child when I became a Christian. Providence Baptist church, www.pray.org

(Oh, and by "conservative" I mean "takes the Bible as the perfect Word of God and the only Truth we have to stand on." I don't go by your definition of conservative, which seems to be "disagrees with the 'left' at all cost even if it means denying Scripture to do it")

#22 jsn9333, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering.

It appears that Rev considers anyone and any idea that he does not agree with as liberal left. It is so comfortable to be able to use a label and then to feel self righteous.

In an earlier post Rev. talked about how Conservatives are out and doing while Liberals sit and wait for the government to "do." I visited the web site where Rev. is the rev. and did not see a list of the ministries of the church. So, Rev. is you church involved in any of the following:

ESOL classes for legal aliens?
    Run or help at a food bank?
    Run or help at a day care center with free scholarships for the poor?
    Hold classes on parenting for pregnant teenages? [A great way to witness to them you know.]

Just wondering what ministries your church is involved with.

Oh, and I almost forgot, have you considered putting your sermons on your web site so we could either read them or listen to them?

#23 Crabtownboy, Mar 11, 2008
  4. rbell

rbell Active Member

We would all do well to adhere to this definition of "conservative."

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

It has never been the government's responsibility to take care of Americans. It has been ours, even ourselves, who should take care of ourselves, Christian or not. We become very weak and vulnerable if we have to depend on government. Besides, how would you expect the government to care for the lives of you or your loved ones, when they do not even protect those who cannot speak for themselves, the unborn.
    We also should not have any military overseas, and no war unless it takes place on our own soil. No more playing peacekeepers. If a country is in trouble, let them fight for change themselves.
    We should not be wasteful with what God has given us, to be good stewards of, the earth.

love,

Sopranette

#25 Sopranette, Mar 11, 2008
  6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

As Americans, we have the freedom to watch whatever we want, eat whatever we want, and still say whatever we want. As Christians, though, we should be more discerning and restrained.
    With regard to the OP, I'm sure it does get frustrating when preachers do talk about problems in today's society, but it continually falls on deaf ears. We have become so accoustomed to hearing things we want to hear, and only these things, it becomes very difficult to preach about an otherwise unpopular subject. Yes, I do think there are preachers who have given up, and only want to whisper sweet nothings into people's ears, but there are a great many, a magority, who do continue to preach the entire Word of God, the good, the bad, and the ugly (at least, in some people's perception.)

love,

Sopranette

#26 Sopranette, Mar 11, 2008
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It is not the church's responsibility to provide for the whole world, nor is it even possible. We are to provide the gospel to the world.
    However, the church has provided more money and help to the world than the "world" has ever provided. More good has been done in the name of Christ than any other name.

The problem in the pulpit is simple. It's called APOSTASY. We are moving toward the day when there will be no sound teaching coming out of the church. That is why it is so important for each generation to preach the WORD and not compromise in even the slightest point. Compromise is like a cancer that spreads from one generation to the next until there is total apostasy.

8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Is it Christain to simply stand back and watch some older innocent lady get assaulted, robbed and maybe even raped on the street?

If your answer is NO, then why is it bliblical to sit back and watch Sadam Insane do the same things to his people?

AJ

9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Excuse me Amy, but the Bible does instruct the church to take care of the widows and orphans, and give to the needy. I could provide many scriptures that state this, but I am sure if you think about it, then you know that the scriptures are there.

AJ

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

but I do agree with you on the apostasy issue. The church (not every one, but as a whole) is leaving the Truth behind and becoming humanistic.

AJ

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Following your logic why have we not attacked:

The Sudan
    Zimbabwe
    N. Korea
    Burma

????

12. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Apples and oranges. Of course it is Christian to help someone who is in danger, when there is only one or two witnesses and it is happening in front of you. But what Sadam did had nothing to do with America. The war in the middle east never was about what Sadam did. These feelings have been going on for decades, maybe even centeries. At one time Sadam was an ally. People forget.

love,

Sopranette

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I never said it didn't. But nowhere does the Bible command the church to provide for the whole world. Paul was talking about providing for widows and orphans in the church. Do you really think it is possible for the church to provide food, shelter, health care, education, ect. to every person in the entire world, with no help from outside sources?

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If everyone tithed and took part in the work, then yes the entire world could be cared for by the church.:tonofbricks:

15. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Do you think its godly to turn your back on needy people who are not members of your church?

AJ

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amen, brother. We need to be reminded of this. :thumbs:

17. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Personaaly, I believe it is a sin to not give a coat to someone that I know for a fact is cold.

I also believe it is a sin to neglect or turn our backs on hungry, oppressed, or even tortured people anywhere in the world.

AJ

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. I never said that. You are not understanding me. We have a pantry at our church that is open to anyone who needs food, whether they are a member or not, or a Christian or not.

19. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Our church has a pantry too, but many in our congregation wont help anyone outside of what the pantry can give because, "they have already given" or "the church handles those things"

I am saying that we have a responsibilty as individual Christians to help whoever we can.....with the guidance of the Holy Spirit....I am not saying that we should let people take advantage of us. God wil lead us to help those who really need if we will listen, but if we simply say "no" because we already tithed, then we arent open to Godly instruction.

AJ

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

We have the same at our church too. Also we have a clothing room and just yesterday someone came to my office door (my dayoff, but I really have none), requesting clothes.